Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Owner Health » AAA's survey shows that dog passengers are safety risk

Old 08-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

AAA's survey shows that dog passengers are safety risk

The study conducted by AAA showed that 80% of the respondents admitted to taking their dog with them in the car. Only 17% of those drivers had the dog in some form of safety restraint. The article in the Independent ( a blog from the UK) provides more details on the study and a list of the vehicles that AAA highlight as the safest for you and your canine companion.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

We have always kept the dog on the floor of the car in the passenger's foot well. It is a relatively safe place with nowhere for the dog to go but into the firewall. Now that we once again have a second dog, I have getting him a restraining harness on my list. We do allow Sampson to ride on the back seat when we take both dogs somewhere. A harness to secure him would allow us to do so safely.

The AAA seems to be oblivious to the problems the proliferation of large, gas guzzling SUVs has caused. That you must have one to safely transport dogs is a gross error. Many of the people that have them still have their dogs loose in it.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
We have always kept the dog on the floor of the car in the passenger's foot well. It is a relatively safe place with nowhere for the dog to go but into the firewall. Now that we once again have a second dog, I have getting him a restraining harness on my list. We do allow Sampson to ride on the back seat when we take both dogs somewhere. A harness to secure him would allow us to do so safely.

The AAA seems to be oblivious to the problems the proliferation of large, gas guzzling SUVs has caused. That you must have one to safely transport dogs is a gross error. Many of the people that have them still have their dogs loose in it.
I beg to differ on the safety of a pooch in the foot well. ANYTHING loose in the vehicle is a potential death missile and that includes those cute little things people insist on hooking to the rearview mirror or the little things sitting in the back window or even that 10 lb sack of taters you just bought at the grocery. Or my 250 pound Mother in the passenger seat with no seat belt cause she refuses to wear one or maybe that case of soup you just bought cause there was a really good price. Maybe that 50 lb sack of dog food. And I do have one of those "gas guzzling" SUVs specifically for transporting my dogs....and mulch and grandkids and groceries and lumber...etc. The few times I take a trip my dogs are all crated which makes my gas guzzler SUV the perfect option. When I take just one to the vet, pooch is restrained with a seatbelt or a crate.

BTW - my "gas guzzler" SUV gets better mileage than my daughter's smaller, sportier car which she uses to cart around her Great Dane without a crate or a seatbelt. Something else to think about when you trash peoples' choices in vehicles is how many miles they put on their vehicles and the driving style. Daughter and I bought our respective vehicles the same time - I just turned 43k on mine where she's got near 150k on hers. I drive sanely while she whips in and out of traffic as if she's on her own professional obstacle course. She scares the living Hades outta me!

Where safety comes in is that with a "gas guzzling SUV" I have the option of keeping the back seats erect providing a cushion between me and the pooches in the "hatch" or I can buy a net separating them from me, there are tie-downs in the back for their crates too. Besides just by it's size an SUV is far safer than my daughter's sporty little darling car in the way it's built.

Sorry - I just get tired of people trashing people with SUVs. I'm probably using waaaaaay less gas than even you since I'm unemployed.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
k9mania
Administrator

To the "gas guzzling SUV" issue. I have no problem with people having them if they are ALWAYS having more than one person in them and they don't use that specific car for their errands etc. I totally think that people that get 4x4 just to look cool and never get near winter conditions or off road are really wasting gas and resources. Having said that, if you have ever driven in Los Angeles a good portion of people are driving large SUV without anyone in them. I think a higher gas tax would cure that. I don't want it but the research shows that now that gas is down SUV and truck sales are up. I have a small SUV and it gets 24 freeway. The hybrids get 30. We all need to be more responsible with our resources.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Labman
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
I beg to differ on the safety of a pooch in the foot well. ANYTHING loose in the vehicle is a potential death missile
This it true, I am safer with a sack of taters in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post

Where safety comes in is that with a "gas guzzling SUV" I have the option of keeping the back seats erect providing a cushion between me and the pooches in the "hatch" .
I hope nobody is under the impression that in a accident, the dog or anything else unsecured in the back of an SUV won't come sailing over the seat back.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
This it true, I am safer with a sack of taters in the trunk.

I hope nobody is under the impression that in a accident, the dog or anything else unsecured in the back of an SUV won't come sailing over the seat back.
I use crates love but my seat backs are pretty high so the chance of them floating over the back seats is slim to none.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Here we go again...SUV bashing. Well, coming from a country that gets several feet of snow for what feels like 90% of the year, drives over hill and dale to exercise my fair beasty, and had suffered for 16 years with the less than reliable (road conditions) compact Firefly car which got 40 - 50 mpg, all I can say is bash away. SUVs were developed because there was a need, and yes also a want, to transport kids, furkids, cargo and haul or tow in all conditions. I got tired of being stuck in my own driveway, down a city street or in my work parking lot begging for rides from those people who owned SUVs so I traded up. Just because we drive them to work and to all other day to day activities doesn't mean there isn't a real need for the power and reliability of an SUV or other such vehicles. Not everyone can own several types of vehicles depending upon their needs at the moment. I have one vehicle, it is a 6 cylinder SUV that gets average gas mileage and if hybrid SUVs were in any way reasonably priced I would have got one of them. I could buy an awful lot of gas for that extra 20 grand that a hybrid would have cost me. So for those of you who say we need to be better on our environment I say to you, sell your car, walk or ride a bike before you get pissy on my choice of ride, you don't know what my needs are.

More to the original point; if I'm in an accident and am killed by my 'projectile' dog then who gives a darn, not me because I'll be enjoying heaven with my fur-beasty. But chances are I'll survive that accident because my SUV is a tough SOB and would take out that prissy Prius or compact tin can like it is a bump in the road. LOL
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
More to the original point; if I'm in an accident and am killed by my 'projectile' dog then who gives a darn, not me because I'll be enjoying heaven with my fur-beasty. But chances are I'll survive that accident because my SUV is a tough SOB and would take out that prissy Prius or compact tin can like it is a bump in the road. LOL
Thanks! Nuttin wrong with SUV's as well as Snart Cars, Different strokes and all.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
To the "gas guzzling SUV" issue. I have no problem with people having them if they are ALWAYS having more than one person in them and they don't use that specific car for their errands etc. I totally think that people that get 4x4 just to look cool and never get near winter conditions or off road are really wasting gas and resources. Having said that, if you have ever driven in Los Angeles a good portion of people are driving large SUV without anyone in them. I think a higher gas tax would cure that. I don't want it but the research shows that now that gas is down SUV and truck sales are up. I have a small SUV and it gets 24 freeway. The hybrids get 30. We all need to be more responsible with our resources.

Sorry love I didn't buy mine to look cool. I do use it for errands and to transport dogs (I am into rescue you know). It doesn't matter how many dogs I have in there on any given day...what matters is my vehicle is available for rescue things and such. SUV's are not the devil's initiative at all.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
k9mania
Administrator

I did not say they were evil. If there is a true purpose hauling etc. it is fine. It is the people who just want to look cool who create this discussion. I am only one person but I use it to haul all the dogs and for my business.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Owner Health