Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » surrogate mother dog caring for anothers pups?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
surrogate mother dog caring for anothers pups?

Well here's what has happened. One of my females has had her firstitter and wants not a thing to do with them. But thankfully her sister has taken complete care, she ate the placenta she licked them clean and has even started to nurse them. She, the sister, did just have aitter on Sept. 1st the last puppy left two days ago. But I'm sure her milk is dried up, how long will it be before her milk will come back? Im planning to call the vet in the am with a few other questions but if anyone has had a similar experience or if they have info on surrogate mother dogs please let me know. I have everything prepared to feed the pups until surrogate Momma develops milk. I've never had a dog totally reject her pups but I have experience with supplementary feeding the runts and stuff so I think I can manage until the milk comes in. Any advice anyone? I'm pretty sure I have everything figured out I'm just curious to hear from anyone else who has done this. Thanks guys
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

The other dogs milk probably wont come back. You will probably have to bottle feed if moms milk doesnt come in. Take her to the vet and have the vet give a shot of oxytocin that may help the milk to come. I believe you said she wasnt origanly due until Christmas? if she is early that may be why her milk hasnt come yet.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
The other dogs milk probably wont come back. You will probably have to bottle feed if moms milk doesnt come in. Take her to the vet and have the vet give a shot of oxytocin that may help the milk to come. I believe you said she wasnt origanly due until Christmas? if she is early that may be why her milk hasnt come yet.

Well moms milk is in, mom being Nikki, and sister being Zoey. Now Nikki is a new mom and she has totally rejected her pups. But fortunately Zoey who has just had a litter recently, sept 1st they where born, has taken over everything she cleaned the pups and ate the after birth. She is even nursing her sister puppies, but her milk has dried up since her last litter was born. Now I maybe mistaken but I though that the suckling would stimulate milk production, in Zoey, who is not the mother but the sister of the mother, and is nursing and caring for the pups. I'm feeding the pups myself every three hours with an eyedropper but they are still suckling on their auntie, Zoey. Zoey has taken over everything since Nikki has no interest. I'm also rubbing there bottoms and other areas to help them go potty, even though Zoey is doing that also I just want to make sure it is getting done. So Zoey is being a surrogate mother for her sisters puppies basically and I was hoping that her milk may come back, because it has not been gone very long, and all the suckling. As far as them being early my dogs are a small breed and I have read that in smaller breeds they can be up to a week early and in larger breeds they can be up to a week late. They seem great and very healthy and I can tell I'm feeding them right because they keep getting full little bellys but I was hoping that the surrogate mother, Zoey, may get milk back just to take some pressure off me. But if she doesn't I can handle it I'm sure. Do you know of anything I can do to help Zoey get milk back for her sisters puppies? I'm sorry if I'm rambling. I know my writing can be confusing sometimes. I hope I have explained the situation better and that maybe you can offer me some advice. Thanks again
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Colosterum is very important at this age for the babies to have a good immune system, if possible hold down mom so pups can nurse, you may need someone to help you hold her. If that is not possible then you need to get some colosterum. You can get it at TSC in the cattle section, or see if you can get some from the vet.

That is good you have Zoey to at least take over some of the other motherly duties. I dont know if it will help, and i have never used before, but borage is supposed to help with milk production but I dont know how much to give.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Thank you so much for your help!

I've got a great update, I just purchased a breast pump and have been able to pump enough milk from the mother to feed the puppies! I'm very excited about this, I was really worried about them not getting the colostrum and you too reminded me of how important it is. It's so great! She won't allow them near her, but thankfully she allows me to pump her without a care, she even fell asleep as I did it. So thankfully the puppies will have a better chance now.

She is not very fond of the puppies, it's almost as if she is scared of them. She runs from them and is very nervous when I hold her down or wait til she sleeps and put them on her nipples. I'm just so thankfully I found something that I think will work. What do you think? Does it sound like a good idea? I just just just bought it and used it and it was a breeze! Think it will work? I just worry though as the puppies still seem to be looking to cuddle with mom, when zoey isn't there anyway, and I'm worried if they will be ok as they grow and mature, you know because they didn't have the "normal" puppy-hood (puppy+childhood) so idont know, I'm gonna work my ass off for these little guys though thanks for your help, again.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I never would have thought to pump the milk, what a great idea! As long as mom is ok with it, that is the best thing to do, as even the best supplements are not as good as moms milk. As long as they have contact with Zoey they should be fine, mom may even come around when they get a bit older. At least they will have the other dogs to teach them proper doggie ettiquite as they grow.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Hey, I just wanted to give you an update on these poor little guys. Well we have gotten into a pretty good routine, I think anyway. I pump as much milk from the mom as I can to feed them in the day time, about every three hours I feed them during the day, I mix moms milk with some formula during the day as I really can't pump enough for every feeding I do I mix of about 50/50 or 1 part moms milk and 2 part formula. Then at night I wake up every 2 hours and put them on her nipples while she sleeps and they usually get as much as they can eat then fall asleep, then I move them back to their box and I repeat this every two hours! So not much sleep for me, but thankfully the puppies seem to be thriving! They have fat bellies and they don't seem any different in anyway from other litters, besides the fact that I have to take care of the feeding. They even already feel like they have gained some weight! After Christmas I'm gonna get a little scale so I can be sure but I'm 100% positive they have gained some weight. They really seem to be doing good given the circumstances. I even though mom many come around, she wouldn't really do anything for them but she was starting to go into the welping box to check on them, but them this afternoon I saw her try to bury them again that is what she did too as soon as they were born. So it seems like she has a way to go before I can even trust her alone with them. Thankfully I'm unable to work and I'm at home all day everyday so I can monitor them and the others, but I must say they seem to be doing so good and I'm very proud of them thank you for you help and advice, I'm sure I'll need a little more advice at some point, lol. It nice to finally have a forum to post questions too! Thanks again JessicaR for all your help.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

here's a few pics of the little guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pups.jpg (82.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pups1.jpg (72.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pups2.jpg (67.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pups3.jpg (35.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

The puppies food intake has almost doubled! they feel heavier now and look like they are starting to grow i was making one bottle for them with 1tbs of formula and 3 tbs of water and they would finish it, now they eat 1 1/2 tbs formula 4.5 tbs water! so that's what a 50% increase in their food intake, i'm so happy for the little guys!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Momto3
Been Around A While

wow. You sure got your hands full!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care