Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » ASPCA Position

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

ASPCA Position

ASPCA Position
The ASPCA advocates the following best practices for the responsible breeder:

•Screens breeding stock for heritable diseases; removes affected animals from breeding program. Affected animals are altered; may be placed as pets as long as health issues are disclosed to buyers/adopters.
•Has working knowledge of genetics and generally avoids inbreeding.
•Removes aggressive animals from breeding program; alters or euthanizes them.
•Keeps breeding stock healthy and well socialized.
•Never keeps more dogs or cats than they can provide with the highest level of care, including quality food, clean water, proper shelter from heat or cold, exercise and socialization and professional veterinary care.
•Bases breeding frequency on mother’s health, age, condition and recuperative abilities.
•Does not breed extremely young or old animals.
•Breeds and rears dogs or cats in their home as they are considered part of the family.
•Ensures neonates are kept clean, warm, fed, vetted and with the mother until weaned; begins socialization of neonates at three weeks of age.
•Screens and counsels potential guardians; discusses positive and negative aspects of animal/breed.
•Ensures animals are weaned before placement (eight to ten weeks of age for dogs and cats).
•Complies with all applicable laws regulating breeders in their jurisdiction.
•Never sells puppies to a dealer or pet shop.
•Offers guidance and support to new guardians.
•Provides an adoption/purchase contract in plain English that spells out breeder’s responsibilities, adopter’s responsibilities, health guarantees and return policy.
•Provides accurate and reliable health, vaccination and pedigree information.
•Makes sure pet quality animals are sold on a limited registration (dogs only), spay/neuter contract or are altered before placement.
•Will take back any animal of their breeding, at any time and for any reason.

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/policy...-breeding.aspx

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

Their socialization policy is at odds with the practice of the best breeders and scientific studies. Puppies should be socialized to people starting the day they were born, and in their homes by 8 weeks.

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/oct08/081001c.asp

http://www.apdt.com/veterinary/asset...lvani_JF05.pdf

http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_b...nter/puppy.cfm

Otherwise sounds good to me.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
I though the socialization was a bit odd. 3 weeks! We always start right away.

They do have a lot of other good points though. Thank you for posting this
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

socialization should begin at birth for sure! Other than that sounds good
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Interesting what some people will focus on. I don't think the ASPCA is recommending not to have humans handle newborn puppies. I think the message was that lack of early socialization results in far more dogs being killed than those dying from contracting disease before their immune system is running strong. Puppies don't even have their eyes open until about 2 weeks of age, so not sure if it would benefit to socialize them to new noises, smells, lots of people and other dogs etc until at least 3 weeks of age.

What irks the hell out of me is the "breeder" that acquires two dogs either of the same breed or not, and produces offspring to sell with no thought whatsoever as to whether the parents compliment each other genetically or in temperament. I would think it would be as much of a crap shoot to get a dog from a shelter as to get a puppy from a breeder who does no health screens. And as it has been misunderstood before, health screening does not mean a "check-up" before breeding. Health screens should include any tests that can be done to rule out genetic defects such as hip dysplasia, heart abnormalities, eye disease, or any other potential health problem common in certain breeds.

Those that do the genetic testing, those that carefully think about each potential dam and sire, those that wait until the female is mature before breeding, and wait to evaluate a litter as adults before a repeat breeding, those are code of ethics breeders. I've never heard of one of them receiving any award. The litter will often cost them more than they make in the sale of the pups.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

Good point. What do they mean as socialization? The first the puppies are mostly focused on mother, and later, each other.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
JessicaR
Been Around A While

well i for one think its interesting that in the USA we are encouraged to "fix" our dogs, their are people out there that will practically call you scum if you have an intact dog. Yet these same people call you a monster for cropping and docking. Both altering and crop/docking are not neccisary, except for some medical reasons. We fix our dogs because it is easier for us to surgically alter our pets than it is to keep them seperated, and/or confined away from the opposite sex.

In Norway you are not allowed, unless for medical reasons to fix your pet(or crop/dock), cats are the exception, because it is considered cruel to keep them confined in the house. Yet they do not have a pet overpopulation problem. Makes you wonder how they can manage to prevent accidental breedings but people here cant?
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

Where I don't care for ASPCA - only 2% of donations go to save critters - they have some good points. But I'm not a breeder nor ever will be. I'll take those half-baked puppies whose parents have never been genetically tested, socialized, etc - when they hit rescue. Got me some verrry expensive dogs here cause someone didn't know what they were getting into with a Cocker Spaniel. Mine cost me from $85 (from Animal Services) to $200 (from rescue) for a *rare* chocolate parti. Look at all chocolate parti Cockers on Petfinder. NOT rare at all but someone paid $1k for my little $200 doodle! Won't EVER forget the drop-dead gorgeous chocolate in rescue guy who was a former SHOW DOG! The previous owners dumped him along with his show book, ribbons, etc. EH??? People are stupid.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

The ASPCA does a fair job of educating the public and investigating animal abuse. As far as supporting them with donations, I would definitely vote against that. There's always a local rescue or shelter needing food, supplies, or money.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Interesting what some people will focus on. I don't think the ASPCA is recommending not to have humans handle newborn puppies. I think the message was that lack of early socialization results in far more dogs being killed than those dying from contracting disease before their immune system is running strong. Puppies don't even have their eyes open until about 2 weeks of age, so not sure if it would benefit to socialize them to new noises, smells, lots of people and other dogs etc until at least 3 weeks of age.

What irks the hell out of me is the "breeder" that acquires two dogs either of the same breed or not, and produces offspring to sell with no thought whatsoever as to whether the parents compliment each other genetically or in temperament. I would think it would be as much of a crap shoot to get a dog from a shelter as to get a puppy from a breeder who does no health screens. And as it has been misunderstood before, health screening does not mean a "check-up" before breeding. Health screens should include any tests that can be done to rule out genetic defects such as hip dysplasia, heart abnormalities, eye disease, or any other potential health problem common in certain breeds.

Those that do the genetic testing, those that carefully think about each potential dam and sire, those that wait until the female is mature before breeding, and wait to evaluate a litter as adults before a repeat breeding, those are code of ethics breeders. I've never heard of one of them receiving any award. The litter will often cost them more than they make in the sale of the pups.
Very well said! Let me clarify a little what I mean socializing right away, it's not to strange dogs or new places or any thing such but it is to people in my home(that live there) animals that live there and just get them uses to being handled and such. I do not encourage people to take newborn pips out in the word and expose them.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care