Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » Beenverified.com and prospective owners?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Beenverified.com and prospective owners?

So I keep seeing a commercial for a background checking website. I'm very through when interviewing prospective owners for my pups. Does anyone use a background check for their prospective owners? Do you think this is a good idea? In my sale contract I reserve the right to deny anyone a puppy if thu are found to be an animal abuser and things like that. Do you think a background check for them would be to much? I don't really think its too much, I mean it's a livif breathing animal, a lifetime commitment. If you were adopting a child you'd be background checked. Is this idea over board? Should I be more trusting of people? I care greatly for my puppies and want to do EVERYTHING to assure they get the BEST homes possible.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Wellve looked a little more into it and realized Beenverified is a scam but I found out many breeders do do a background check! Do any of you? If so what site do you use?
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I dont do a background check, but I do require references especially from a vet and/or dog trainer.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I dont do a background check, but I do require references especially from a vet and/or dog trainer.
What about someone who has not owned a dog before? I know It's hard to say no to someone because they have not owned a dog before, but everyone starts somewhere. What kind of references would you get from them? I know ideally a et or train reference would be great, but I'm sure some situations people are new owners. Would you rule out a new owner? Luckily I have not ran into this yet. It seems like everyone, so far, that I have meet has owned a dog before and most have even owned a pug(which is what we breed) so we have been lucky there but wha about new owners? I know most people aren't crazy about their pup going to someone without expierince but like I said we all start somewhere.

If there is anyone on here that does the background check, what service do you use for it? Beenverified it turns out is a scam.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Ideally it would be nice to be able to see if someone had ever been involved in animal abuse or neglect and I'm sure no one would willingly admit that to me or the person they're trying to get a pup from.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Well, I have never had anyone who has not owned a dog before buy a puppy. But no I wouldnt not sell to someone because they are a first time dog owner. If everytrhing looks good in their interview I would probably just have them stay in close contact with me and give them more materials on dog care. I would also do more follow up checks on them just to be sure they arent having any problems.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Well, I have never had anyone who has not owned a dog before buy a puppy. But no I wouldnt not sell to someone because they are a first time dog owner. If everytrhing looks good in their interview I would probably just have them stay in close contact with me and give them more materials on dog care. I would also do more follow up checks on them just to be sure they arent having any problems.
I agree. I was curious to what you'd think of a first time owner although it seems most people are not.

Thanks for the help again, as usual
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

A first time puppy owner should at least be able to give info about the yard available, the landlord's acceptance of a pet, a job, income. I had to submit pics of my yard and the inside of my house for a rescue. I had vet references so that was good but I can see the prob of someone who's never owned a dog before. Maybe then it becomes personal references? Conundrum really. In Florida when you go to get a driver's license you have to show proof of insurance but what if you don't own a car???
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care