Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Wetting the floor

Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Elsablue
New Around Here

Wetting the floor

Since we got Elsa in January (she is nearly 4) she has wet on the floor through the night quite a lot. At first it was not every night but over the last couople of weeks it has been nearly every night. I have been recommended to take away her water bowl and replace with a bowl of ice-cubes after 8pm so she can still quench her thirst but not be taking in loads of water. This seemed to work the first night be last night same thing she wet the floor again.

Has anyone got any other recommendations or suggestions on what this could be?

It was suggested that if she had been kept in a kennel/cage before we got her it may have been that she could just wet wherever she wanted, but the people we got her from told us she was a house dog?
Elsablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

If anything, I think ice cubes would lead to more water intake. Just cut the water out. For the last trip out at night, take her out on leash. Walk around. They can only walk and hold it so long. When it finally has to go, lavish praise on it. Don't go back in as soon as she does anything. Walk around some more and see if she does more.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
I agree, cut the water out completely. That's what I do when mine are pups. In cases where she just won't stop I would start back at the begining like when she was a pup. Put her in the crate at night and potty train as if you just brought her home. I have had to do that with a couple of mine.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

Rule out UTI? My dogs all go to bed with me and they are baby-gated in the room so there is no access to water at night. Some might say it's cruel but I think it's even more cruel to re-home a critter just cause there are some potty issues. (Not saying you would) In a pinch there's always doggy didees. Mendi was on them for the last several years of her life cause she just could not hold it after her bout with autoimmune disease. After way too many mornings washing her pee-drenched bedding - and her - I put her in didees.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Labman
Been Around A While

Yes some see limiting the water as cruel. I am regularly beat up on another forum for making my dogs go overnight without access to water. Funny thing, they aren't that interested in the water dish in the morning.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes some see limiting the water as cruel. I am regularly beat up on another forum for making my dogs go overnight without access to water. Funny thing, they aren't that interested in the water dish in the morning.
In the past Id been under the same kind of ridicule for suggesting "no water after 9pm" too.

I think that dogs are conditioned over time, and by studying my dogs, when the activity levels drop in the evening, they are not thursty.

Thats not to say that I dont give ANY water in the summer when we have some of those HOT night, i just dont give a full bowl. I give them a small 3-4 ounce cup instead. There is still a bit of common sence involved needed here.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Shells_k
Been Around A While

None of my dogs get water after 9~ish. Even then if we leave Sugar out of her cage at night while we sleep she will pee in the bedroom, so she stays in her cage all night. (and she is 4 also).

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

As for the "overnight wetting" all of the things mentioned above are great suggestions. I would also add that several trips outside before bed might help. When doing so, dont make it a play time. Keep it strictly "business" (pardon the pun) so the dog knows that it's time to potty. Walking around the yard is a good idea. It will help stimulate the "urge" to go.

A friend of mine has a Yorkie with this same issue. He is in perfect health but still wets in the house. There only alturnative was to get him a doggie dyper. Its very stylish, and he actually likes it.
- Michael -

Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Elsablue
New Around Here

Thanks for the tips, but Elsa is on dried food and it says that water should always be available is this not the case also through the night? That's why we thought we should give her the ice cubes. She goes out for a walk in the evening and we are always letting her into the garden just to see if she needs to go, but always make a point of putting her out about 10.30 and making sure she 'goes' due to the wetting.

If you agree that its ok even on dried food, I will give it a go and see if this helps.

Thanks
Elsablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsablue View Post
Thanks for the tips, but Elsa is on dried food and it says that water should always be available is this not the case also through the night? That's why we thought we should give her the ice cubes. She goes out for a walk in the evening and we are always letting her into the garden just to see if she needs to go, but always make a point of putting her out about 10.30 and making sure she 'goes' due to the wetting.

If you agree that its ok even on dried food, I will give it a go and see if this helps.

Thanks
I have also fed ALL of my dogs "dry food" ... I feed at 7 am and 7 pm but I pull water at 9:30 pm. They dont seem care!!! And they rarely even go to the bowl to look for water after 9:30.

Yes, after eating they need to have some water, but after they quench the thurst, they really dont require more water unless they are reasonably active. (going for a long walk, running and playing hard).

If my dogs continue to pace back and forth to the bowl I will put a few ounces of water in for them, especially if its a hot summer night. But that means that they have to go out an extra time that night.
- Michael -

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly