Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk » Finding a place to live
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
LabMomHouston
Been Around A While
 
LabMomHouston's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 2,042
I don't live in San Fran either...but when renting in FL I found a few things helpful....Avoid the typical apartment complexes that are corporate-owned. You'll find them less willing to bend the rules. I found renting from a private owner with an offer to increase the deposit often led to me being able to rent. So you may want to look in the classified ads of the local paper online rather than apt.com or what have you. Most private owners aren't going to list on things like that. Also be very upfront about the dogs...tell them what you have and what you are willing to do...training etc. All of the private owners I rented from never asked to meet the dogs...As far as expensive...can't help you there. I think anytime you look to live in the heart of a city you'll going to pay a premium with a few exceptions like maybe Detroit.
LabMomHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
BichonFowner
Been Around A While
 
BichonFowner's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabMomHouston View Post
I don't live in San Fran either...but when renting in FL I found a few things helpful....Avoid the typical apartment complexes that are corporate-owned. You'll find them less willing to bend the rules. I found renting from a private owner with an offer to increase the deposit often led to me being able to rent. So you may want to look in the classified ads of the local paper online rather than apt.com or what have you. Most private owners aren't going to list on things like that. Also be very upfront about the dogs...tell them what you have and what you are willing to do...training etc. All of the private owners I rented from never asked to meet the dogs...As far as expensive...can't help you there. I think anytime you look to live in the heart of a city you'll going to pay a premium with a few exceptions like maybe Detroit.
It is extremely expensive to live in San Fransisco, VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. Renting an appartment will be much cheaper than a home, however as a private home owner would be willing to work with you, but prepare to pay quite a bit. I hope you find something that will work out for you and your dogs. They are precious.

BTW-I know a couple of people who own a home they rent out and were completely against dogs because of potential damage, but they gave in and asked they give a larger deposit as most people looking to rent own dogs.
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
LabMomHouston
Been Around A While
 
LabMomHouston's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonFowner View Post
It is extremely expensive to live in San Fransisco, VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. Renting an appartment will be much cheaper than a home, however as a private home owner would be willing to work with you, but prepare to pay quite a bit. I hope you find something that will work out for you and your dogs. They are precious.

BTW-I know a couple of people who own a home they rent out and were completely against dogs because of potential damage, but they gave in and asked they give a larger deposit as most people looking to rent own dogs.
True...you're going to pay $$$ to rent a home...but I'd say its worth a look atleast. You might even find a townhome or a private apartment building. Sometimes you luck out and find a space by luck. But there are drawbacks to renting from private owners...example, both times I did the house was sold. The first time, I had to move. The second, the ownership changed hands but my lease was up a few mons and I moved to TX. So...wish you luck. Keep looking.
LabMomHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
k9mania
Administrator

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,939
When you say close to SF, what do you mean? Are you working in SF? Outside over the bridge places are less expensive. I would hit Craig's list.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
marijke
New Around Here

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Posts: 10
Send a message via MSN to marijke
thanks so much for all the replies. i havent thought about sending pictures to the apartment owners.. thats a really good idea.
i think its weird that apparently SF is one of the biggest dog friendly cities, yet there are sooo many restrictions.
and im moving to SF for my boyfriends schooling.. buut we cant live in the dorms because were not married.. and they wont take the dogs either. and alot of people looking for roomates dont want dogs, or dont have a yard, or have a dog of their own and dont want anymore.
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
marijke
New Around Here

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Posts: 10
Send a message via MSN to marijke
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
When you say close to SF, what do you mean? Are you working in SF? Outside over the bridge places are less expensive. I would hit Craig's list.
close to SF as in... MAYBE perhaps an hour away via bus. my sweetie is going to attend the academy of art university in the spring, or at least, wanting to, im not sure how its going to work out at this rate of finding a place to live with our dogs. But because we dont want to drive ourselves, the farthest i think we'll be able to do is maybe an hour away. i know getting around by car might be quicker and easier.. but.. not for now. id imagine its incredibly hard driving in a place youve never been, let alone a city. we live in a small town called Hilo in Hawaii, everything is 10-15 minutes away, theres never traffic, and theres like.. one road that leads to everywhere. so its a biiig change for me. of course im very scared, even more not knowing if well be able to find a place with our babies
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
cockermom93
Been Around A While
 
cockermom93's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: springfield Mo
Posts: 2,894
Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
I am jealous of you... I want to live in Hawaii soooooo bad! And your gonna leave it all behind... Wish I could switch you places.
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #18
marijke
New Around Here

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Posts: 10
Send a message via MSN to marijke
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom93 View Post
I am jealous of you... I want to live in Hawaii soooooo bad! And your gonna leave it all behind... Wish I could switch you places.
haha ill switch with you any day!!
im sure ill miss it when i leave.. but everyone needs a change to appreciate the place they call home
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 PM.