Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk » Hot weather and canine activity

Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Hot weather and canine activity

Hot Weather, Dogs and Activity May Not Mix
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 ::
Hot weather is here, and that means both dogs and their owners can enjoy more outdoor activities. But a Kansas State University veterinarian says hot weather can be dangerous for dogs.

Manhattan, KS - infoZine - Newswise - Even on moderately warm days, dogs can succumb to heat stroke, said Dr. Susan Nelson, assistant professor of clinical sciences at K-State's College of Veterinary Medicine.

"The temperature has a lot to do with heat stress and heat-related illnesses, but pet owners should also take the humidity level into consideration before taking their pets outdoors," she said.

Dogs dissipate heat primarily through panting and a small amount of sweating through their paws. This is a small area compared to humans and other animals that sweat through their whole bodies, Nelson said.

"Because sweat doesn't evaporate as quickly when there is a lot of moisture in the air, it becomes even easier for a dog to become overheated, even in relatively cooler temperatures," she said.

See rest of article at:

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories...iew/sid/41895/
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Thanks for posting a great reminder to us all. Hot weather is a killer for both humans and dogs.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

Last weekend my black Lab Sampson and I survived working a fundraiser at an outdoor festival. We took plenty of breaks in the shade, drank lot of water, and I fed him ice cubes. We were selling pop and water. I also applied plenty of water to him. We were both uncomfortably warm much of the time, but I was careful to preserve both of us for the next.

We did another about a month ago and there was leak in one of the hoses strung around. I could position him over it and wet down his belly good. Since all the festivals have plenty of hoses, I have threatened to carry an ice pick.

Baseball is over for this year, another challenge in the heat. I help as scorekeeper for the local youth baseball. My puppy and I have a box just behind the backstop. Most of the puppies have been very excited when the catcher is scrambling for a passed ball a foot away. They want their chance at that obviously valuable ball. With a man on third, the catcher is doing his best to recover it and nail the guy before he scores. Raven, the black female Lab we have this year, ignores it. Most of her litter are unusually calm puppies, sweethearts.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

dangers of ice and heat.

I just wanted to share what I learned from another forum i am a part of.

http://rogersparkdog.blogspot.com/20...owners-be.html

I have always gave my dogs ice cubes to chew on. I never knew it could be dangerous to them. From what we discussed on the other forum, it is fine to give ice cubes to dogs if they are in an air conditioned house and are not over heated. Never again will I give my dogs ice cubes after they have been outside in the heat playing.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
bootscar1
Been Around A While

Wow I've always given my dogs ice cubes.... good information guys thanks!
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

Might be nice to post the signs of heat exhaustion and what to do in a 911 situation. I am sure no expert but I can tell you Maxwell got overheated once. He was panting horribly and not walking right. Into the house he went immediately and under the A/C vent, bathed his little tummy with cold (not frozen) water, and gave him little sips of room-temp water. Don't know if that was the right thing to do but he came back pretty quickly.

By the way...ice cubes? Dogs love them BUT they crack the enamel on the teeth leading to dental problems. Stick to shaved or crushed ice.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
k9mania
Administrator

Here are signs of heat exhaustion

Remember to keep your dog hydrated. If you need to on extra hot days or when you are allowing more physical activity put something in the water to make them drink even more. There are some hydration drinks out there for dogs.

Though heat exhaustion in dogs is a common problem that occurs during summers, not many dog owners know about it. Hence, the purpose of this article is to educate all dog owners about the symptoms, treatment and prevention of this dangerous problem of heat exhaustion in dogs.

When human beings are exposed to heat for a long time, they suffer from heat exhaustion. In the same way, this problem of heat exhaustion can also occur in dogs. However, the only difference here is that canines cannot express their discomfort through words as humans do. Hence, it is important for people who have dogs as pets to know about heat exhaustion in canines so that they can take immediate action when they observe the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion in dogs.

Causes of Heat Exhaustion in Dogs

Heat exhaustion in dogs usually occurs when the canine is kept outdoors for a long period of time, during summer. Moreover, active dogs like to run and play around even when the temperature is extremely dry and will not stop until they are too exhausted. Dogs that are locked inside a car are also at a high risk of developing heat exhaustion as the inner temperature of a car can go beyond 130 degrees F, even with the windows rolled down. This can occur, not only on a warm day, but also on a day when the weather is mild. Whether a dog will experience heat exhaustion, also depends on which breed the dog belongs to. For example, canines who are obese and the breeds that are short nosed like Bulldogs, pugs, etc. have a high risk of developing this dog health problem. If heat exhaustion in dogs is not given immediate treatment, it may turn into heat stroke which can be life threatening for the canine.

Heat Exhaustion in Dogs Symptoms

When you take your pet dog outdoors during summers, do not forget to observe his behavior to know whether he is showing any symptoms of heat exhaustion. The first symptom of heat exhaustion in dogs is heavy panting. As dogs do not have sweat glands like humans, when they feel too hot, they start panting to release the heat from their body. However, when a dog suffers from heat exhaustion, the panting will be vigorous or heavier than it is after it indulges in certain activities. Other signs of heat exhaustion in dogs include -
  • Deep breathing or hyperventilation
  • Anxiousness
  • Deliriousness
  • Dark red gums
  • Restlessness
  • Dizziness or confusion
  • Thick saliva
  • Inattentiveness
  • Increased salvation followed by dry gums
  • Weakness
  • Very high temperature
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
How to Treat Heat Exhaustion in Dogs

See rest of article at:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/heat-...n-in-dogs.html
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Thanks for the information. I'm going to post it on the refrigerator for the summer so my husband and I have the info available._Marie
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Labman
Been Around A While

I have never heard of problems with ice cubes. I think I will dig a little more on the subject. I did a search on the AVMA site and the only result I found didn't seem to be about feeding a dog ice cubes.

It could be you don't want to let the dog go too far before feeding it ice cubes.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I had never heard of the problem with ice cubes before either. I do give my dogs ice cubes, but they are never to the point of overheating. They usually get them in the air conditioned house.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk