Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk » Farm dogs!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
Farm dogs!

I was just wondering if there were any farmers or ranchers on here. If there are any, how does your dog fit into your other animals and farm work? Did you get your dog just to help on the farm or for protection? Do you have more than one dog, doing a certain job on the farm?

We are thinking of getting a border collie soon. I won't be doing the training, but they are great farm dogs and I can't wait to see the dog work. Kind of excited about it, we are not definite on the discussion yet. We are not sure on if to get a one from a breeder or from a rescue. I voted for the breeder because they are more likely going to have little health problem, bred properly and actually do the job. While a dog from a rescue is good for a house pet, they might do the job because of a fear of something that happened to them from there previous owners. What do you think? Should we get the dog from a rescue or from a breeder?

Okay, well I have to head on over and start school now, its going on seven. I will fill you guys in with more detail later.

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
well i am not a farmer but if you want a collie to do hearding i think getting them from farming or working lines would be your best bet it will be in their genetics even though border collies have been used as herders for years it proberly will be best to get from lines as you will be able to see the parents at work so have an idea that the pups will have similar traits
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
I think you are right on with getting it from a breeder. This way you know the breeding lines and you can ensure the dog will give you many good working years. It would be fun to have a farm, I personally would only have dogs and horses.
oh, and maybe one goat, a small one.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
My mom was a farm girl, thankfully I don't live on a farm. Not that I don't like farms, I just dont like the idea of waking up to clean up animal dung, and that stuff. I think farms are nice, but it isn't the lifestyle for me.

I hope you get the new pup
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Border Collies require work full time, and are built for endurance. So be prepared for a dog that if you do not give them a job, will chew up everything in site, bark constantly, and do anything to keep itself entertained. Border collies are not a "pet" as far as not doing anything and just hanging out till you decide to play with it. They have a high inteligence level and If they are not mentally challenged as well as phisical they can develope very bad habits fast.

I chose one from farm-working parents, the breeder ones are iffy on Bordercollies, as I have posted many times about this subject. Many "AKC" dogs are just show dogs and have had the instinct of work breed out of them, this is a big controversy in the breed.
You can look for a ABCA registered dog and be SURE of its working capabilities. http://www.americanbordercollie.org/ They actually frown on AKC :P

You may find a good rescue, but remember, if that dog is a BC, they come with a package of problems because of their previous owner neglect or whatnot. I read on forums all the time, and there is mutiple rescues in each state for bordercollies because people get them and dont stimulate them enough and then they get rid of them.

So. In short.

Bordercollies are very hyper-active, smart, super cute, and want to learn to please. On the other side, if you 'think' you can handle one EVERY DAY playing with it, teaching it, running it, stimulating it everyday for the next 14-16 even 18+ years go for it I will be close to 40 when my BC will finnaly part from me, if everything health wise goes well!!! And im 23 now so thats a big commitment!!!

My BC is just 6 months old, and I have spent alot of money on food (hes a big boy almost 40lbs at 6 months!!! and will problably top off at 50-55) Hes chewed on my shoes, and it takes only 10 seconds to ruin something!!! They have big teeth and they are sharp, so keeping everythign picked up is a must. They can destroy socks in a matter of seconds, punchuring holes takes 1 chomp. He has trained ME to keep stuff picked up, and talk about alot of posts on this site about training him right!!!

Plan on 100 bucks for stuff he destroys the first months. (shoes, socks, stuff you accidently lay around)
200 bucks on the first 3 months of shots (depends on vet but here its 70 bucks for puppy shot/2nd shot/then final but you can do this stuff way cheaper yourself hehe)
Heartworm medicine you can get online cheap. (1 year supply 60 bucks)
Frontline Plus -Online(12 dose is about 160 )
at 6 months he goes through 50-100 dollars worth of food a month.
Chew toys ect can be cheap depending on what you get. They destroy fluffy stuff and plastic stuff easy hehe.
Collars, get ones that "grow" with the puppy, and still you will have to get new ones, again depending on what you get can range from a few bucks to 10+ per collar + lead, plus any training collars such a choke/pinch. Clickers for clicker training are cheap, few bucks for those. Crates for crate training are about 50 or so bucks, and then the bedding can have a big range of prices. The best I have found was at petsmart, that is velvet and waterproof and washable, if they aitn water proof dont mess with them!
BCs can chew up bedding too if they are bored, so if you spend 50 bucks on a bed, and hes bored he will chew that up.

This is the basic list of things I can think of, that doesnt include stuff for obedience training, agiliity, any extra goodies, such as treats and such.

I say all of this because BCs are a big responcibility, have alot of energy, but they can also be the best dog you will ever have if trained and treated properly. If not they can be destroyers. (of couse any dog can be this too. But BCs are crazy in a way!) hehe

Saying this bothered me now that I read it

"While a dog from a rescue is good for a house pet, they might do the job because of a fear of something that happened to them from there previous owners."

No, dogs like BCs unless they are 10+ years old and were just for some reason abandoned or lost will not make "good house pets". If they are rescue, most likely they have serious mental problem (as in excessive chewing/barking or anything from chasing their tails crazy or anything else you can dream up...because of neglect from owners)

What do you mean do their job because of fear?
You can not beat a BC to death to get it to herd. One thing you cannot do is spank or hit a BC. They are very WIERD about spanking and if you do that they will cower and never do anything. So a dog that has been spanked / hit will not work, instead be a coward and even NIPPY. These dogs' herding instinct, if they do not have something to herd will herd anything from leaves to small kids or other family pets like smaller dogs or cats. When they herd they "collie stare" at the target and my BC will try to pounce on my little dogs, thats why we have to seperate them 24/7...then if the target doesnt move they can nip.

Last edited by Shara : 09-03-2008 at 01:41 PM.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Jaz_i
Site Regular

I am all for rescue dogs! Perhaps getting a younger dog may assit with training, a cross Collie X other working dog is great!

We also rescua Maramea. FANTASTIC protection animal! I have 3 with the chooks.

Collie X's (all rescued) for the farm.
Jaz_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
grizzle
Been Around A While

sorry I just noticed this post. I have for the most part lived on farms and in farm country. Border collies are great BUT they can also be a real problem on the farm as they don't care what they herd. They can make your hens stop laying eggs and cause injuries to your cows and horses by running them into fences and such. I opted for protection over herding. They leave the animals alone but protect them from other predators. Just my choice..
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
dogsrme
Been Around A While

What dog would you suggest we get for herding?

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
JessicaR
Been Around A While

what is it the dog will be herding? sheep cattle?? I know some people that herd with border collies and if they are properly trained they make great herding dogs. it will have to be trained to not bother other animals but it is possible. make sure you do research because unfortunatly some breeders are just breeding for drive only and are creating obsessive-compulsive herders border collies should be able to work livestock and then relax when its job is done. how far are you willing to travel to get a pup? their is a breeder in garretsville ohio its on the east side of cleveland not to to far from the OH. PA. border her website is www.ammaradankennels.com if you look on the border collie litters page the dog bella that has a litter due mid september is from my border collies I used to breed. while I didnt actually work them they did have good herding instinct and both of bella's grandparents were working farm dogs.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
dogsrme
Been Around A While

We herd cattle. Have no sheep just pigs and cows and horses. Use to have goats but my dad don't like them, so we got rid of them. I will look into the breeder. My dad said this won't happen until next spring though.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk