Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk » Farm dogs!

Old 09-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
JessicaR
Been Around A While

borders can herd cattle just fine also australian shepherds and australian cattle dogs. that breeder usualy has a couple of litters every year. you could always just tell her that you are looking to get a pup for herding next year so she can match you with the right pup.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
grizzle
Been Around A While

Borders are cool for herding cattle. A couple of other choices are the Corgi and my favorite for a all around farm dog is the German Shepherd. Good herder and protection/companion. As they said buy from a very good breeder or, and even better watch the shelters for a good one. Have a good trainer go with you to a shelter if you go that road and check for temperament and health with your Vet. If you would go with a shepherd let me know I have some very good breeders in mind not to far from you.
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #13
Monsterpuppy
Been Around A While

If you are looking for a working herding dog, you could look into rescues for one that has been started in herding. Getting one that's started will give you an idea of whether it has the ooomph to work cattle, and a good biddable/drive balance for your herding style.
---------------------------------------------------------
Proper dog spoilage is an art form.

http://www.weaselpuppy.com
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-themed-gifts-and-awards
http://www.cafepress.com/weaselpuppy
Monsterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #14
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Australian cattle dogs, wonderful dogs. Only have heard good things about there herding, great working dogs.
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
Jaz_i
Site Regular

Aussie cattle dogs, Kelpies and collies do a great job.

If you get a rescue dog, you could take it for a trial, to see how he/she goes!
Jaz_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
We decided on "no" rescue dogs. They won't do the job as well as a puppy can learn it. Rescue dogs might be scared from a previous owner and we don't want to deal with that. We don't want a "corgi" because we are not fans of that breed. We like medium sized dogs with a tail.

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
Monsterpuppy
Been Around A While

lol

Older rescue dog started in herding with proven ability vs untried unknown puppy that may have no herding yen whatsoever or who gets challenged by a cow when he is a little to young and decides it's not his thing or who turns out too soft for cattle or who gets kicked when he's four months old and has to have his joint fused or who develops hip displaysia at a year, or who is so hard headed that you can't control him, or who you accidently screw up the training of?

I don't think I would never risk a puppy if I needed a real herding dog - but it's certainly up to you. Just my opinion.

Even in flyball, which is a lot less taxing than herding, I've seen dogs bred for it from parents who were everything you could ask for, trained by people who have trained many flyball dogs, who never ever got good enough to run the course. My pound puppy border collie knew what to do with sheep the first time she ever saw them. There are a lot of well-bred herding-bred dogs that don't ever turn on to herding. Cattle are an even more questionable proposition because you need a dog that can head off a charging steer or turn a herd on the move, without getting injured.

If you are really that prejudiced against rescue, than get the dog from a breeder, but get an older, started dog with proven ability to work cattle that you have actually seen worked and worked with yourself so that you know it will work out. Don't get a puppy unless you want a pet that maybe might herd.

Again, just my opinion.
---------------------------------------------------------
Proper dog spoilage is an art form.

http://www.weaselpuppy.com
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-themed-gifts-and-awards
http://www.cafepress.com/weaselpuppy
Monsterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterpuppy View Post
lol

Older rescue dog started in herding with proven ability vs untried unknown puppy that may have no herding yen whatsoever or who gets challenged by a cow when he is a little to young and decides it's not his thing or who turns out too soft for cattle or who gets kicked when he's four months old and has to have his joint fused or who develops hip displaysia at a year, or who is so hard headed that you can't control him, or who you accidently screw up the training of?

I don't think I would never risk a puppy if I needed a real herding dog - but it's certainly up to you. Just my opinion.

Even in flyball, which is a lot less taxing than herding, I've seen dogs bred for it from parents who were everything you could ask for, trained by people who have trained many flyball dogs, who never ever got good enough to run the course. My pound puppy border collie knew what to do with sheep the first time she ever saw them. There are a lot of well-bred herding-bred dogs that don't ever turn on to herding. Cattle are an even more questionable proposition because you need a dog that can head off a charging steer or turn a herd on the move, without getting injured.

If you are really that prejudiced against rescue, than get the dog from a breeder, but get an older, started dog with proven ability to work cattle that you have actually seen worked and worked with yourself so that you know it will work out. Don't get a puppy unless you want a pet that maybe might herd.

Again, just my opinion.
First off, I have nothing against a rescue dog. We had shelter dogs before, but we want something young and purebred to do the job. My father wants something that will help run the farm for many years to come. My dad misses training dogs because all our dogs are already trained now. So having a puppy around will be good for all of us. They just grow up to fast!

If the dogs have "herding" in their blood wouldn't that make them good herding dogs down the road? I already convinced my dad that rescue dog might be scared of cattle or might not "herd" because of something that happened to the dog in its previous home.

I don't mean to sound like I am against shelter or rescue dogs, or stuck-up. I just want to know what breed would be best for my father in herding in the cattle. Sorry, if I come off that way. Really not my intentions.

We don't expect the dog to start herding things right away or understand it. We won't put the dog out in the cattle with no idea what to do. My dad will practice with something that won't hurt the dog first until the dog understands the concept of herding and knows the words. We take pride in our dogs "purebred" or "mutt." We make sure they are well trained and we don't pay somebody to train our dogs. We do all that ourselves. My dad has trained many dogs in his lifetime and he let all of us kids who still live at home a dog of our choice so that we could learn how to train a dog. I don't really know what method he would use to train a dog to herd, but whatever way I know that it will work.

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #19
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
BCs that are AKC purebred chances are actually LOWER that they will herd. Like I have said before the AKC has bred the instinct out of alot of them...the herding instinct was brought up by taking a dog that did it, and breding it to a dog that did it...hence over a very long time you get really great herding dogs and pretty sure of it. I would look into getting one from : http://www.americanbordercollie.org/
Now a days people are breding them pretty dog to pretty dog and guess what...noone knows if they are herders or not, so it has been going backwards for a while. They have become popular as disc dogs and flyball and other sports, but people see them say "I want that!" and then end up with a dog thats extreamly hyper, so chews up everything because bored, and as a herding instinct, they can nip little kids.... Just read up on them, do a research on the breed...

There are people who practice ONLY breeding the working dog ...so yes, if you want a for sure working dog get one bred for it, not for looks..look for a breeder who does this. Also if all else, find someone that already has 2 working parents(somewhere around you, there are plenty of farms in texas :P) that have had pups, thats where I got Tigger. Both his parents worked on a ranch. He shows herding instinct, and is very intelegent.

So it really is a question what do you mean by pure breed, do you mean akc only or a diff kennel. There are border collie rescue establishments, all over the USA, where people who got a BC and cannot contend to them herding instincts,...that lead to nipping. People post on their sites, and you can always ask if the Border collie shows interest in herding. There are puppies at these places. So dont rule out rescuing, there are people who dedicate themselves to just helping bordercollies.
Here is one in Texas http://www.bcrescuetexas.org/

BCs have a very high ethinasia rate because people get them and do not understand that they must be stimulated so much mentally and phisically, so you shouldnt have a problem finding one :P

If you are not planning on breeding them, you should just look for rescue or someone who has had puppies (look in the newspapers in surrounding cities/towns) You have a year to plan ^.^

Like I said before there are whole establishments for the breed, as in a whole building + people who work just like an animal shelter ONLY for border collies, so you can imagain the number of border collies out there. =)

Last edited by Shara : 09-08-2008 at 03:11 AM.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #20
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
A site you should read about BCs

http://www.bordercollie.org/bcchar.html
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk