Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk » Interesting discussion about hunting with dogs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,939
Interesting discussion about hunting with dogs

Dog hunters opposed to proposed regulations
By TIM DAVIS/Star-Tribune Editor
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:46 AM EDT





GRETNA - More than 400 people filled the Gretna High School auditorium Tuesday night for a public hearing on hunting with dogs.

The meeting, the last of seven public hearings around the state, was sponsored by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to get public input on proposed regulations on hunting with dogs.
The recommendations are part of a study coordinated by Virginia Tech called "Hunting with Hounds in Virginia: A Way Forward."

Steve McMullin, an associate professor in Virginia Tech's Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, said the study was prompted by an increasing trend of conflicts between hunters, landowners, and other hunters.

McMullin noted that some states have banned hunting with dogs altogether, while others have severely restricted the sport.

"The goal of the project is to ensure the future of hound hunting in Virginia, not do away with it," he said, trying to dispel a misconception about the study.


To get ideas on hunting with dogs, the game department and university held a series of focus group meetings with major stakeholders and conducted informal surveys with about 2,600 people.

They also received more than 1,000 letters and emails from hunters, landowners, and others concerned about hunting with dogs, McMullin said.


see rest of article at:

http://www.wpcva.com:80/articles/200...ews/news41.txt
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
dobetaztic
Been Around A While
 
dobetaztic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Doset. england
Posts: 2,845
Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
hunting with dogs such as for foxes here in england is illeagal now but with our priminister due for ellection soon if the conservatives get in they want to reintroduce it i hope it does not, i dont mind drag hunting but i hated the way they hunted foxes digging them back up if they had gone to ground and so forth
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While
 
lucysnewmum's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: bournemouth, england
Posts: 948
Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobetaztic View Post
hunting with dogs such as for foxes here in england is illeagal now but with our priminister due for ellection soon if the conservatives get in they want to reintroduce it i hope it does not, i dont mind drag hunting but i hated the way they hunted foxes digging them back up if they had gone to ground and so forth
i'm with you all the way on that one Dobe....i had the misfortune to be involved in 1 foxhunt (i worked in a stable and i was only 16 so didnt understand what it was all about). nowadays having seen first hand the devastation foxes can cause amongst livestock i fully understand the need to keep them out of farms, chicken coops etc but there are more effective, humane ways of going about it.


ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
PudelGrl
Been Around A While
 
PudelGrl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 462
Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysnewmum View Post
i'm with you all the way on that one Dobe....i had the misfortune to be involved in 1 foxhunt (i worked in a stable and i was only 16 so didnt understand what it was all about). nowadays having seen first hand the devastation foxes can cause amongst livestock i fully understand the need to keep them out of farms, chicken coops etc but there are more effective, humane ways of going about it.
Probably, but the problem overall is that foxhunting is a sport and people en masse seem to enjoy it.

One solution I have heard for fox-hunting is to have a sent laid down along a route for the hounds to chase. Its a common practice here as our vermin problems pretty much consist of gophers. I've gone on them before and they are an absolute blast if you have a good group of people with fit horses and hounds.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
grizzle
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 378
I am an avid hunter and this is just my opinion but I am against it. We have these discussions all the time at the conservation meetings on coon hunting. So many hunters are loosing there dogs to other hunters that are trying to hunt from stands or blinds. I think it takes the sport out of hunting but I go to the woods for the piece and quite too. I think if they would make a season for just dog hunting it would solve some of the problems. When you have been patterning the deer in a woods and have been sitting in a stand for hours and along comes a coon hunter and runs all the deer off to the next county you can understand the frustration. Now using dogs for retrieving is a whole other thing. I'm all for that. My thoughts if you can't spot and stalk your not much of a hunter...Lets here it hound people.LOL.
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
dogsrme
Been Around A While
 
dogsrme's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvannia
Posts: 533
Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
I hunt for food. Not for sport. Hunting for sport is inhumane. Animal it might be but they are living things. We don't want to reduce the population so badly they have to struggle to make a come back. I don't want to be over run with the varmints but I don't want to see them gone forever. We go out deer hunting and we go out hunting for groundhogs, skunks, coons and things like that that are over populated. That helps reduce the rabies and ticks outbreak within an area. I have no use for the game commition. It is illegal to kill a stupid goose when we are over run with them. The game commotion is full of it, they allow you to hunt animals that are on the verge of being threatened but won't let you kill a damn goose that poops all over your yard, making an awful mess.


**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
grizzle
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 378
Well I too hunt for food but it is still a sport in today's world. When man had to hunt for necessity 150 years ago it was not sport but a way of life. Today if everyone hunted freely there would be no more animals left. The gaming commission has regulated it to control populations not wipe them out in fact just the opposite. Your goose season in Penn. opened Sept 1, have at it.. You say you hunt for food, are you eating skunks and coons.. Not my choice for good eating But we have seasons for them too. As I posted in another thread check out your local conservation clubs, it's full of hunters just like you and I. A very good education on how not to let things get over populated but also how to find a friendly balance between man and animals and keep all species around for a long time to come and in good health.
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
kiya
Been Around A While
 
kiya's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: england, merseyside
Posts: 531
Send a message via MSN to kiya
i honestly think(in my opinion)the way hunting foxes with dogs was more kind to the fox than the methods they use now, the fox was killed instantly when the first dog got the fox,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
snares that are used now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESj7SzOtyk

this one had a happy ending, but a lot more don't have this type of ending,
the more they struggle the tighter the snare gets,
they die slow an in pain,
also in snares,dogs cats an other animals get caught,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

shooting which is used also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLwX9...eature=related

this is a video of a fox getting a clean shot, there's loads of times the marksman misses an just injures the fox,which leads it to die slowly,an in pain,

with dog hunting, they prey has chances to get away,,,


kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
starry8740
Been Around A While
 
starry8740's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,373
Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
I am ANTI-HUNTIEST and proud of it. Some of you people have no idea how I feel so let me break it down to you in a way you would understand.

HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT ABORTIONS BEING WRONG AND CRUEL, IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT HUNTING ANIMALS.


Food, gimme a break. Ever hear of a grocrey store?!? I am sorry but this is the 21st centery not the cave man age back before there was grocrie stores. I am so sick of the lame excuses. Then to hear about fox hunting, that is even more sick then anything. I am ashamed by humans so badly.

Animals have no idea about borderlines, farm animals. They see an animal and eat it, they have no idea about people owning it for money or whatever. They invade your property because the dumb people are taking there land by cutting it down for new towns or houses. Where do you expect them to go? Up someones "where the sun don't shine?" Seriously.

To much of an animal population? To many animals spreading dieases? Yeah, to many humans in this world and to many humans speading dieases too. So many epidemics and colds going around. So many humans in jail , just give them the death sentance already!!!!! They ain't ever going to change, they aint ever going to get it. Any bad thing you can point out about animals, I can point out about animals. Take a look in the mirror, would you like something bigger and smarter than you to come shooting after your family, your children, your parents? Think of how the animals feel. I am sure they have feelings.

Ask me why I have more compassion for an animal than a human? Well I will tell you, I never met an animal who dissed me, betrayed/backstabed me, used me, made fun of me, hurt my feelings ect. I have been hurt and everything by humans and I've seen other people hurt worse in other ways by humans. Yeah there are nice people, but you only find them one in a few. Yeah there are mean animals, they use that as deffense because you have them so scared you will kill them for their fur, food ect.

There is no way anyone can convice me. Want to know something? If I was out in the woods, saw someone going to kill a deer or another animal, I would start hollerin, and making a whole lotta noise and scare the deer 2 run off. Then I would tell the hunters a few words, I wouldn't want my mama to know I ever said.

I understand there are dogs trained to hunt and stuff, but I am sure there are other ways of using them techniques other then stupid hunting. Like my mom always told me, if there are obsticals in your way, go around them. I find that a lame excuse too, my dog is a hunting dog, we need to hunt. Whatever!

Oh, don't try to get me to understand, the day I understand is the day those of you who think Abortions are wrong, is acutually a good thing, will be the day I understand about killing animals.

Last edited by starry8740 : 09-17-2008 at 01:23 PM.
~Star my eskie/golden mix~



www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever


When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
kiya
Been Around A While
 
kiya's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: england, merseyside
Posts: 531
Send a message via MSN to kiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry8740 View Post
I am ANTI-HUNTIEST and proud of it. Some of you people have no idea how I feel so let me break it down to you in a way you would understand.

HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT ABORTIONS BEING WRONG AND CRUEL, IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT HUNTING ANIMALS.


Food, gimme a break. Ever hear of a grocrey store?!? I am sorry but this is the 21st centery not the cave man age back before there was grocrie stores. I am so sick of the lame excuses. Then to hear about fox hunting, that is even more sick then anything. I am ashamed by humans so badly.

Animals have no idea about borderlines, farm animals. They see an animal and eat it, they have no idea about people owning it for money or whatever. They invade your property because the dumb people are taking there land by cutting it down for new towns or houses. Where do you expect them to go? Up someones "where the sun don't shine?" Seriously.

To much of an animal population? To many animals spreading dieases? Yeah, to many humans in this world and to many humans speading dieases too. So many epidemics and colds going around. So many humans in jail , just give them the death sentance already!!!!! They ain't ever going to change, they aint ever going to get it. Any bad thing you can point out about animals, I can point out about animals. Take a look in the mirror, would you like something bigger and smarter than you to come shooting after your family, your children, your parents? Think of how the animals feel. I am sure they have feelings.

Ask me why I have more compassion for an animal than a human? Well I will tell you, I never met an animal who dissed me, betrayed/backstabed me, used me, made fun of me, hurt my feelings ect. I have been hurt and everything by humans and I've seen other people hurt worse in other ways by humans. Yeah there are nice people, but you only find them one in a few. Yeah there are mean animals, they use that as deffense because you have them so scared you will kill them for their fur, food ect.

There is no way anyone can convice me. Want to know something? If I was out in the woods, saw someone going to kill a deer or another animal, I would start hollerin, and making a whole lotta noise and scare the deer 2 run off. Then I would tell the hunters a few words, I wouldn't want my mama to know I ever said.

I understand there are dogs trained to hunt and stuff, but I am sure there are other ways of using them techniques other then stupid hunting. Like my mom always told me, if there are obsticals in your way, go around them. I find that a lame excuse too, my dog is a hunting dog, we need to hunt. Whatever!

Oh, don't try to get me to understand, the day I understand is the day those of you who think Abortions are wrong, is acutually a good thing, will be the day I understand about killing animals.

if i was to eat chicken for dinner, i would rather kill it myself, than buy from a supermarket,
i don't agree with battery chickens, and there's a lot of supermarkets claiming they sell organic an free range chickens as well as battery,, yet most of these are still battery bred, even though it says organic, free range,,

at least if you was to kill your own, you know it suffered no pain when growing up, no pain during the kill, x

an it certain circumstances i dont think abortion is cruel,
depends on the circumstances though, if a person was to go out, have sex all the time with out protection, an use abortion as a contreception, then yea bad, x


kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Active Dog General Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:31 PM.