Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete » ANyone do any tracking?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
grizzle
Been Around A While

Tracking is a blast for any dog of any age. Any schutzhund trainer in your area can teach you how to get started. If you have trouble finding one let me know and I will direct you to the nearest one I can find. Have fun I know you will...
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
I would love to but the closest facility to me is two hours away. Maybe someday!
Ty would love to track, he does it all the time, I think he would be a natural at it. It's knowing how to teach it the right way. Maybe one day I will be able to further my training. Who Knows?
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
grizzle
Been Around A While

6dog I was looking through my books and ran across one that might help you get started. The name of the book is( into the wind by Ronnie Weiss ) It's pretty good you might want to see if you can find it.
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #14
johnanddoggies
Been Around A While

the sars guide lines put out a perty good guide for dog tracking you can contact them on line by searching SARS.
johnanddoggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Joey and Elsa love scent trailing/tracking. We are actually getting ready for a competition next month. It is after training. Joey is actually coning which is great. As soon as I put on their harnesses they know exactly what they are going to do. If you live in the Los Angeles/Orange County area I can refer you to our trainer, who has been training dogs for 25 years worked with Santa Ana and Anaheim Police Departments along with Los Angeles County Sheriff Department L.A.S.D.

I hope Joey and Elsa do well. Actually I need to get off the computer and make some scent pads and do some training, since they will be tracking at the park this Sunday.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
johnanddoggies
Been Around A While

good luck GDSmama I hope your dogs are on point. sent training is so fun acept you never get to win a game of hide and go seek
johnanddoggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
kandk
Site Regular

Send a message via MSN to kandk Send a message via Yahoo to kandk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
The younger the better!!!

Tracking is a great activity that can be taught to any dog at any age, but puppies really pick up the skill.

I've also like trackinb because as a dog gets old it may not chase or run, or even see as well as it used but it can always track.
I agree with you
This is Koda. My avatar is Katie.
-Amanda
kandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #18
gsdmama
Been Around A While

I know. They always win and that is no fun!! hehehehehehe
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #19
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I've had a couple of dogs that were good trackers and were fairly easy to train, but have one now that seems to follow my path exclusively. She's not the least bit concerned with finding any article, will pass right by them, and if I stop her and show her the articles, she does this "so what? that's not what I'm after" look and puts her nose right back to the ground on a footprint. She simply follows the trail I made while placing articles all the way back to the house. I need to get her to a training class for it I guess, because I can't figure out how to get her to focus on articles instead of a path. I tried having my granddaughter hide the articles a couple of weeks ago, and she did the same, following her path.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #20
zorasdad
Been Around A While

Zora has a great nose but she finds everything interesting! So if your lost in the woods well find everything on the way but ....you! Mo will find you but between breaks, he lays down alot.
a working dog is a happy dog
zorasdad is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete