Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Grooming » Put up a sign and you're in business!?!?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

Question Put up a sign and you're in business!?!?

Well another grooming place has opened up about 10 min. from me. The guy that sharpens all the groomers blades/scissors told me today that he talked to the woman that opened up and she said she doesn't have any formal training but she has been grooming her own schnauzer! Right now in Kentucky (I'm not sure about other states) you don't have to be licensed or have any know how on grooming dogs. This still shocks me and I hope no dogs get hurt during her time in business!! Maybe training doesn't matter because a so called master groomer in the same area as the new lady left a dog alone on the table and it fell off and hung itself!!!
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
hcromley
Been Around A While

wow thats nuts...i dont think you need anything around here if you say your a groomer your a groomer
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Danielle
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogscrzy4ball View Post
Well another grooming place has opened up about 10 min. from me. The guy that sharpens all the groomers blades/scissors told me today that he talked to the woman that opened up and she said she doesn't have any formal training but she has been grooming her own schnauzer! Right now in Kentucky (I'm not sure about other states) you don't have to be licensed or have any know how on grooming dogs. This still shocks me and I hope no dogs get hurt during her time in business!! Maybe training doesn't matter because a so called master groomer in the same area as the new lady left a dog alone on the table and it fell off and hung itself!!!

Its the same here mate. Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a groomer. All they need to know is how to switch on a set of clippers and use a pair of shears. Pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Its the same here mate. Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a groomer. All they need to know is how to switch on a set of clippers and use a pair of shears. Pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.
I agree! Should be a cirtificate necessary I think. I have heard of the hanging accident a few times. If I gotta leave my groom area I just put the dog down or in a crate... If I have a dog in the tub I DON'T leave it alone... simple as that.

I hope this new girl doesn't hurt any dogs too and lets hope people are just smart enough to realize after one groom.
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
Happens all the time, one of my neighbours decided to do this because she couldn't get another job and figured it was easy. The dogs looked awful, often coming out with just a shorter coat of matts because she had no clue. Even worse was that she didn't know the basic hygene needs, like properly cutting nails, expressing glands or cleaning ears.

I would love if the grooming industry was better regulated, but I don't see it happening in the near future. In the meantime I'll try to educate all I can and send people to good groomers.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Howler
Been Around A While

Its the same over here in the Uk although there is talk of making it mandatory to have the proper qualifications. my sister in law learnt on the job, which is all well and good but no one will employ her because she doesnt have any qualifications to back it up.

Ive been looking into what qualifications I would need to qualify as a groomer as its something im interested in, unfortunately down in my end of the Uk theres not much about, so it looks like i might have to up sticks and move somewhere else.

Its the same with doggy day care centres, seems to be anyone can open one up whether they are experienced or not.

Howler
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Thats pretty sad, but you know if they don't have any proper training then the most likely thing is that her business won't last long. People DO NOT like groomer to be "practicing" on their dogs, it really should not always be a trial an error kind of thing. So unless this lady really does know her stuff (which she probably doesn't because she's only practiced on her schnauzer), she won't last long
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Howler
Been Around A While

we took Vinnie our bichon frise in once to be clipped, we always had him done quite short as we were always down the woods with him and george our springer. I used to clip george short myself, he was a family pet he loved it lol.

well our groomer rang up and said would we mind if a student clipped Vin under her supervision, we thoght why not? He wasnt for show and we never went for the standard look for him anyway...... my boy came back all but bald!!!

as you can imagine they apologised profusely and didnt charge us, but we got some funny looks from the neighbours for quite some time afterwards!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Ive been looking into what qualifications I would need to qualify as a groomer as its something im interested in, unfortunately down in my end of the Uk theres not much about, so it looks like i might have to up sticks and move somewhere else.
I'm in the SW of England too. There are a few courses around if you are interested Howler.

http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses...GLAND/page.htm
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Howler
Been Around A While

i have found one thank you, its onsite learning in a salon with the same qualifications i would get fom going to college

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Grooming