Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Grooming » Dental grooming

Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
boxerbonkers
New Around Here

Dental grooming

Dental care is a really big issue in our practice and yet many owners still seem unaware of the options. We recomend daily brushing as a gold standard level of care and I now discuss this at all of my second vaccines for puppies so owners can get them used to it within the critical learning stage. I would love to see more people putting dental care into their standard grooming regime and reducing the numbers of extractions we have to do which are expensive to the owner but if left incredibly painful for the dog. Lets face it would you go a whole day without brushing your teeth and expect your breath to smell good?! and we dont lick the places they lick lol x
boxerbonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I don't every day, but 3-4 times a week i'll brush my dog's teeth. They're not fond of it, but they don't really fight me, either.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Yes I don't really do the brushing as often as I should but I have worked for a vet and done Densistry's before and my dogs will let me clean their teeth at home so every six months or so I break out the tarter scraper LOL
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom93 View Post
Yes I don't really do the brushing as often as I should but I have worked for a vet and done Densistry's before and my dogs will let me clean their teeth at home so every six months or so I break out the tarter scraper LOL
I want to learn how to do that. That' would be cool.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Momto3
Been Around A While

I actually just got all the "stuff" to do my dogs teeth. Have never had to do tooth brushing but now they're on a cheaper food they need their toofers brushed so I'm ready! I hope they are. They are all (the younger ones) pretty good at letting me scrape already so hopefully this won't be too bad.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
I want to learn how to do that. That' would be cool.
Really the only hard part about it is getting them to sit with your whole hand in or on their mouth with their lips pulled up in funny positions the whole 30 or so minutes it takes to do it! LOL I just have a hand held scraper my mom gave me that I take and start just under the gum where the tarter is built up and keeping a really good hold on the tool I start chipping and chisling downward. You have to be careful because you can slip and poke the gum or a tongue really easily but if you work out how to block yourself with your other hand/fingers it can be fairly easy...
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
PennysMom
Site Regular

We've been thinking that we need to start taking care of penny's teeth, so thanks for the reminder, what would you suggest for toothbrushes, paste, etc.
PennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

we just picked up our first dog tooth brush last week. hoping to give it a try this week and do it weekly. hope he doesn't mind it too much, hehe
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennysMom View Post
We've been thinking that we need to start taking care of penny's teeth, so thanks for the reminder, what would you suggest for toothbrushes, paste, etc.
Just a word of caution. Most of you will already know this, but it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Do not use toothpase made for humans. Use toothpaste formulated for dogs, it has enzimes which help clean the teeth without heavy brushing. Also it doesn't foam up like human toothpaste and is usually flavoured with chicken or beef which is more acceptable than "Mint Fresh".
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Never brushed any of my dogs' teeth because they are bone chewers and get good doggie bones to scrap the teeth clean. As for their breath, that too isn't stinky AT ALL because of the dog bones and chewing that they do. I also make a dog treat that has peppermint in it that Cassie LOVES so that helps if she gets into something smelly.

But I do know that some dogs have real issues with tooth and gum disease so if your dog doesn't have a good chewing routine to keep them clean, invest in a good finger brush some doggie paste and play the "Lets not bite off Mommy's finger" game. LOL
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Grooming