Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Grooming » what to buy?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

what to buy?

for a Collie coat. My Rottie grooming tools have always been a bristle brush, slicker brush and shedding rake. I'm wondering if I will need a double rake and some other sort of brush. Her coat is staying surprisingly nice considering that I have not bathed her (she just got her stitches out from her spay) and have only used a bristle brush on her so far.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

When I had a Golden, I used a slicker brush on him. Since then, I have switched to a pin cushion brush for my Labs. I thing they work about as well and are more comfortable for the dog than the slickers. The first one I used was on my daughter's Shepherd. When I saw how well it worked, I doug out the one I had at home.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
I agree with Labman, with Lexcee being a Shih Tzu, I brush her every day and it works very well with her and she looks forward to it every night. It is easy to keep clean as well.

Susan and The Turf Gang
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I just used a pin cushion brush and a shedding blade on Neka.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

A pin cushion brush it is, then. I'll get one today. Just didn't want to go through the trial and error thing when I knew someone here could tell me.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
sandyb
Been Around A While

I use a pin cushion brush on my dogs every day and they love it. It keeps coat and skin clean and knot free under most circumstances. I use a slicker brush at moulting time to get all the excess hair out, and prevent matting. People think I spend hours grooming the dogs to keep them looking good, but a little bit every day is all it takes.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
JessicaR
Been Around A While

pin brush, greyhound comb, slicker brush for the ear area, a good shedding rake, scissors for cleaning out the fur on the pads.

pin brushes do not get all the way through the skin especially when they are in full coat, so you will want to line brush with the comb to make sure you get all the fur first then go over it with the pin brush to smooth it down. Slicker brushes are good for the fur around the ear area that can mat up easily, dont use on the body it can burn and break the fur. Keeping the fur trimmed on the pads prevents ice and mud from building up in the feet plus helps prevent slipping on slick surfaces. Shedding rake is your friend!! In the spring when she starts to shed, take her outside and brush away and let the fur fly, the birds will thank you LOL!

I do not reccomend the furminator it tends to cut the guard hairs as it is removing the undercoat. I also dont like conditioners because it softens the coat too much which can cause it to mat more and makes it easier for stuff to get caught in it.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

thanks for the advice on the conditioner. I was going to get some as I was told I would need it. Or maybe use a little?

Also, she does have tons of hair between her toes! I was looking at that and thinking about winter. I'll start trimming now and then.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
Momto3
Been Around A While

Double coated dogs need a rake and a pin brush where you have an actual winter. My Cockers are good with a pin brush but I also have a rake for the heavier-coated boyz. Makes a big difference. For grooming spray I use different things depending on the problem. In love with Johnson's baby spray to use on wet OR dry hair right now. My own hair is baby fine as is the Cocker hair. Works great!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
thanks for the advice on the conditioner. I was going to get some as I was told I would need it. Or maybe use a little?

Also, she does have tons of hair between her toes! I was looking at that and thinking about winter. I'll start trimming now and then.
I do occasionally use a little conditioner, diluted with water, on the pants and ear area of my shelties if they seem to be tangled. I just dont use it on the body. Oh and be sure to rinse like crazy any conditioner left will pick up dirt easier! Blow dry too if you can. I can just imagine how long it takes a collie to dry! It takes my shelties hours if I let them dry on their own, so I help out with my blow dryer. (plus it makes them all fluffy)
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Grooming