Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment » Great microchip story

Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Great microchip story

Missing Dog Found after 9 Years

If this story doesn’t encourage you to microchip your dog, nothing will. Muffy, a mixed breed in Australia, was found in Melbourne nine years after she went missing thanks to her microchip. Muffy disappeared in 2000 while staying with family friends, and her owners, The Lampard family, just assumed she ran away. According to The Times newspaper, a tip received by the RSPCA about a sickly dog was what prompted animal control officers to look for her.

The Times reported that they found Muffy in decrepit surroundings in a suburban backyard. Victorian RSPCA inspector, Gail Coulter had this to say, “We found her living in pretty awful conditions on a piece of cardboard; she had matted hair and was riddled with fleas and had a really severe dermatitis condition.”

So the RSPCA took Muffy to see a vet where it was discovered that she had a microchip. A microchip allows dogs to be traced and when they traced Muffy’s microchip, they found out that her owners lived in Queensland – 1,250 miles away!

Muffy’s owner, Natalie Lampard, told The Times that she was stunned when the RSPCA called her. “I just couldn’t believe it, it’s absolutely amazing.” No one knows what travels and adventures Muffy experienced over the years while going across three states, but she’s sure to be one happy dog to finally get back home.

See rest of article at:

http://www.examiner.com/x-10613-Hous...-after-9-years
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Wow...thats so sad...but cool Muffy got reunited with her original owner...
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
sandyb
Been Around A While

I saw that story on the news last night - Muffy's family are so pleased to have him back after all that time thanks to his microchip. Doesn't sound like he'd had such a good life away from them, poor dog.

When I was changing over Jett's microchip into my name I was told by the registry that he'd been lost in the Blue Mountains in New South Wales, and was able to be returned to his previous owner because he was chipped.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Lola_Joy
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Lola_Joy Send a message via Yahoo to Lola_Joy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb View Post
I saw that story on the news last night - Muffy's family are so pleased to have him back after all that time thanks to his microchip. Doesn't sound like he'd had such a good life away from them, poor dog.

When I was changing over Jett's microchip into my name I was told by the registry that he'd been lost in the Blue Mountains in New South Wales, and was able to be returned to his previous owner because he was chipped.

Wow...Did you return him?
Lola_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
sandyb
Been Around A While

All that happened when Jett was with his previous owner - he had to be rehomed, and we've had him for a year now.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Yeah I went ahead and did it a few weeks ago... I am having a bit of trouble with the online registry of my chip #'s though. They say it will take a while to fix it and I don't know if they even can. Scare's me... makes me think if they got scanned they wouldn't show up or something. hopefully they will get it figured out soon.

Sooo sad they were missing their dog for 9 years! At least they did find him but my goodness I feel sorry for him, he seems to have been through alot.
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
sandyb
Been Around A While

Cockermom, I had a time of it too trying to get the registry to change Jett's microchip into my name after we rehomed him. It didn't help that the previous owners hadn't updated it from when he was bought, so the chip was still in the breeder's name. Still, at least they do do a good background check, and don't just take your word for it, and that's good if your dog is lost or stolen - made me feel it was worthwhile.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
aussie_cattle_dog
New Around Here

Great story Sandy.

Did you see RSPCA Animal Rescue the other night, Sandy? There was a similar story, except the dog, called River.. had been missing for 2 years. He was found in a filthy back yard with one other dog, and 2 dead dogs. River and his companion were near death themselves, the dead dogs had been poisoned.

The reunion brought a tear to my eye, River's owner was beside himself, he didnt think he would ever see River again.

Imagine if River and Muffy hadnt been chipped? They are the best inventions ever !!!
aussie_cattle_dog is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment