Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Long haired rottweiler

Old 08-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Howler
Been Around A While

Long haired rottweiler

Hi all,

I havent been here in a while, but today in the salon I had a 13 month old long-haired rottie come in, I didnt know you could get them with long hair..! sad to say he was matted all to hell so it was a clip off job, but I was wondering is the long hair just a quirk in the genetics? or were they mis-sold a cross.

He is the biggest boy I've seen in a long time, far too large for the breed standard and he head was on par with a newfies it was so big, he had no manners as well and was intact, I've just got a feeling hes going to be one of those sad stories you hear about in a years time.

But i was curious about the long hair, as his owner said he was pedigree, and he was tatooed by his breeder (who is KC reg) and apparently the litter was a mix of long and short haired but ive never seen them before.

Howler
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I have heard that rotties can be long haired i believe it is a throw back from the tibeten mastiff, one of the founding breeds. Most breeders do not breed for this gene so it is rare that it pops up, mostly found in German lines
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I've seen 3, adopted one years ago.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Howler
Been Around A While

he was a beauty no doubt about that, although he was overy oversized, i was just surprised as i didnt know they existed
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

The one I had was larger than a Rottie should be, and the female a friend of mine adopted is also a little larger than normal. They do look a little odd.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion