Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories » Our disposable, instant gratification society

Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Labman
Been Around A While

The sad part is that there are solutions to many of the problems that lead to a dog being dumped. I have often been beaten up for my cruel use of crates. So how many dogs have been dumped for house soiling or chewing problems? Problems a crate is a great tool for controlling. True some puppies are very easy and can be managed without a crate. I can imagine getting along without a crate for our current puppy Delilah. At 4 months, I ofter leave her loose unsupervised while I am outside or working in the garage. Other puppies, I couldn't do that even at a year old.

Obedience training is another great tool that could save many dogs.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Absolutely, labman. I was at the vet the other day, and I heard a man saying his son had to get rid of his 2 dogs because they're going to have a baby. I wanted to ask him what they were going to do with the first baby if they had a second. People are ridiculous
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
Absolutely, labman. I was at the vet the other day, and I heard a man saying his son had to get rid of his 2 dogs because they're going to have a baby. I wanted to ask him what they were going to do with the first baby if they had a second. People are ridiculous
That really ticks me off, is that dog not a memeber of the family too, the poor thing. Would they get rid of a human baby to make room for another, I think not so why a furbaby. (they have feelings too) Susan
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #14
sandyb
Been Around A While

We got Jett because a second baby was on the way - he'd been turfed outside after the first one arrived. He is absolutely no trouble at all, loves kids, is a great house dog - what's the problem? Still, their loss, my gain.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
Labman
Been Around A While

I am hurting about first dumping Raven at the dog guide school. Then after she failed her X-Rays, we took her back for 2 weeks only to dump her with a lady that is evaluating her for other, less demanding programs. The look on her face after we loaded her into the lady's car would stop anybody's heart.

Still. what are we to do. We have 4 month old Delilah that we are raising for the dog guide school, 8 year old Sampson that retired as a dog guide and had no other acceptable option for a home. Add Raven and last 2 dogs before her that failed? How do those of you with multiple pets have a life? I hate to leave any dog for more than 4-5 hours. The puppies are allowed most places we go. Those places that choose not to admit them may forgo our presence. It isn't too bad to find a good place for Sampson, but 4 dogs?
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:33 AM   #16
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I am hurting about first dumping Raven at the dog guide school. Then after she failed her X-Rays, we took her back for 2 weeks only to dump her with a lady that is evaluating her for other, less demanding programs. The look on her face after we loaded her into the lady's car would stop anybody's heart.

Still. what are we to do. We have 4 month old Delilah that we are raising for the dog guide school, 8 year old Sampson that retired as a dog guide and had no other acceptable option for a home. Add Raven and last 2 dogs before her that failed? How do those of you with multiple pets have a life? I hate to leave any dog for more than 4-5 hours. The puppies are allowed most places we go. Those places that choose not to admit them may forgo our presence. It isn't too bad to find a good place for Sampson, but 4 dogs?
you are doing all you can and more than most. It is so hard to let any of them go I don't know how you do it. I only have one dog, but besides work she IS my life and I am ok with that after all the look on her face when I get up in the morning and the cuddling I get at night make my life full of joy. Don't be so hard on yourself you do your best I am sure, but I know I could not do it as I would never be able to give them up. The people who get your dogs are blessed that is for sure. Hugs Susan and the Turf Gang xxx
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories