Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories » Our disposable, instant gratification society

Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Our disposable, instant gratification society

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-nati...e-toll-on-dogs

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Good article. Very sad, but right on the money.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

A very unpleasant truth. Yet ignorant, old attitudes continue to contribute to the problem along with greed.

As bad as our problem is with stuff, what we do to dogs and people is worse yet. The going gets tough, divorce, or just walk out if you never made a commitment by marriage.

I am suffering a little over my old printer. I don't use a printer a lot and it seems every time I need it, the ink is dried up. I have worked at refilling cartridges and cleaning the print heads. It refused to accept them. A pair of new cartridges was $57 at Wal*Mart. If I was absolutely sure they would have worked, I would have gone ahead with them. Instead, I bought a whole new printer for $32. It uses cheaper cartridges. I can replace them for $42. I have joked about buying 2-3 more printers and having them on hand if I have trouble with it. I have actually read about people that say they never buy printer cartridges, when the ink runs out, they just buy a new printer. What ever costs to society, at least the printers don't suffer.

Besides the suffering of the dogs, I think the whole mess tears at our moral fabric. I still believe in right and wrong. Not all choices are equally valid.

My first thought on reading this was do you take children on consignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
I work in a children's consignment store. You think people are bad/ignorant with their dogs. Let me tell you, some of the things I see in here with people and their human children scares the crap out of me.
Could be the best thing ever for some.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Very good article, but like Shells very sad. It certainly tells the truth about some people who are not like us in thinking that our pets are our family not some disposable commodity or just a possession we can do with as we please.

Hugs

Susan & Lexcee (Mork & Mindy too)
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I got all teary-eyed reading this article realizing how true it is. How dogs are disposable to some...I cannot even FATHOM this type of thought process...how can someone value a living thing as disposable or anything less than a gift from God. Would you throw away a gift from God? Would you really people?

=sigh=
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Very sad and very true. And I absolutely agree with them that for some dogs have become a status symbol, especially when we are talking about specific dogs/breeds.

And attitutes like these you see prevalent in shelters too....goodness its one thing reading about stuff like this but when you are face to face with a person at the shelter that is telling you that he's turning a perfectly healthy dog simply because "My son isn't taking care of it"....it ticks you off.

They also hit the nail on the head when talking about the breeding dogs and quick cash stuff.... I swear I can't STAND looking at those people (for lack of a better word) that are on the corner of market parking lots with "Puppies for sale" signs... I just grind my teeth and look away....

TG for those wonderful people willing to rescue/adopt pets that need homes. Kinda gives you hope...can't always look on the negative side...
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
sandyb
Been Around A While

I agree with everything you've all said. I've just had a disagreement with my neighbour because I just heard the local scout group are having a dog show, and will be selling puppies there. She thinks that's a great idea. I don't. How many will be bought on a whim, with no forethought at all? All dogs deserve a good, kind, loving home. ALL of them.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb View Post
I agree with everything you've all said. I've just had a disagreement with my neighbour because I just heard the local scout group are having a dog show, and will be selling puppies there. She thinks that's a great idea. I don't. How many will be bought on a whim, with no forethought at all? All dogs deserve a good, kind, loving home. ALL of them.
Sandy, have you contacted the Scouts group and asked why they are selling animals? Maybe the group needs a little education too. Maybe even drop a line to your local newspaper or media source and pose the question of "What are we teaching our children about the overpopulation of dogs". Might just change a few minds and save a few lives in the process.

When I was actively involved in animal seisures (government/police co-agency) I was asked to speak at a local junior high school about this very issue. I hoped that my little talk gave a new and maybe less warm and fuzzy view of a dogs life in the absence of human care and compassion. I showed living conditions of some of the bitches and puppies, showed the retail outlets that sold the puppies (a local one was most shocking to many) and I also showed what happens at the pound or shelter. The kids on their own idea raised funds every year for the shelter and a few volunteered at the shelter.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
sandyb
Been Around A While

Furbs, thanks for your ideas - I'll do that if it ever happens again.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

It disgusts me that people dump their pets. Not just dogs, but all pets are subject to this. I look at my 5 unwanted pets, and I pity the people that gave them up. My dogs and my cats are wonderful. (maybe not Brigit, but she's at least become tolerable) They're excited every morning when we wake up, they're loving, they make us laugh, they warm our feet, and our hearts. The people that dump animals are missing something in their lives, and that makes me sad.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories