Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health » Doggy Dementia

Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
cjoneil
New Around Here

Doggy Dementia

HI:
I'm new to this and hope this site helps me. I have a 14 year old beagle who has been exhibiting some behaviors that have me thinking "dementia". This morning was the worst. She has been wandering the house aimlessly, growling in corners, sitting in front of closets staring at the closet, bumping into walls / furniture, etc. She has been "going deaf" for some time, not hearing unless you yell. The sight has been a minor thing, but this morning seems so much worse than yesterday. Mornings seem to be much worse than in the evening. Her eating has changed, not wanting breakfast in the a.m. She hasn't had any accidents in the house yet. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, except for arthritis (is on meds). She doesn't like walking on hardwood floors (is it the surface or the fact she can't see well) and is much worse over the past week going up and down stairs. Even the stairs next to the bed that she has been using for a long time....couldn't maneuver them this morning. I also have a younger beagle who is 3 who sees my demeanor and is getting confused by my actions as well as the other dog's. Plus I am basically ignoring her to 'watch' the other one. I do have an appt. with vet in a couple of days. But, am thinking the worst, of course, as well as what would be the best for the dog. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
cjoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Carol
Been Around A While

Not sure what the life expectancy of a beagle is but think it may be about 15.
Poor little thing sounds like she is off balance and confused. I hope you can ease her situation somewhat with the help of the vet. It is sad when our pets get older and suffer from similar ailments to humans at the same point in their lives.
Good Luck to you. Please let us know how you made out at the vet.

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
cjoneil
New Around Here

Yes, life expectancy of beagles, from my knowledge, is about 15 or so. She isn't doing any better this afternoon than this morning. She is bumping into furniture, walls, etc. And, she can't hear me or see me. She has slept most of the day, which is normal for her. She just had her dinner, but couldn't find the dish. I had to move it for her find easier. And it's been in the same place for 14 years!! She stares off into space with such a blank look. She flinches when I put my hand near her nose or face, as she is not expecting it. And, because she is flinching as she is, I am thinking her nose isn't working normally either. This is so painful to watch. I will be getting her into the vet tomorrow, not Tueday. I can't wait that long. Thanks for the thoughts and any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
KatzNK9
Site Regular

She definitely sounds confused. Possibly decreased vision to go along with her limited hearing. She might need to be kept in a more confined area with fewer obstacles so that she can manage "her space" a little better.
KatzNK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
k9mania
Administrator

Unhappy

When I have been faced with such decisions about my best friend, I have always understood that my wanting them with me sometimes clouded my judgement. I now remind myself when I am helping friends make the decision or with some of my dogs getting older, that it is about quality of life for them, not us. I think it is one of the most difficult issues we have to face because unlike people they cannot tell us if they are in pain or not enjoying those little things that use to make them happy. Opie, my oldest border, is 11. That is fairly young for an old border collie, but she is my soulmate and I know the time will come and worry about how I would make my decision even now. Good luck at the vet. Get all the information that you can and make your decision based on the scientific facts and your knowledge of how your dog lived it's life and the quality of life that it is and will have in the near future. We are all thinking of you.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
cjoneil
New Around Here

Thanks for all of the thoughts.
Wasn't what I expected. She has lymphoma cancer. She has blood clots behind her eyes. That's what caused the blindness. Many small things that have been going on with her have finally surfaced as cancer. Bailey has had a great life for 14 years. We have thought about this time often. We are not going to do chemo or other invasive procedures. We are basically in a Hospice mode right now and sometime in the near future will be putting her down. We know that it's the best for her, for our other beagle and for us. Her quality of life has been great. Many people say they want to come back in their 2nd life as my dog. She will meet up with lots of family, friends and canines in heaven. I am sure of that. Although not easy, I am satisfied with our decision. We've thought about and discussed this for the past several years when little things started going wrong with her. We are not going to prolong her life just for us. She isn't as comfortable as she used to be, can't see or hear and feel it is time. We will keep her feeling as best we can with the meds the vet gave us, but that is just for short term. She's beginning her journey to the Rainbow Bridge.....
Old 02-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Carol
Been Around A While

Yes she certainly has had a long and wonderful life. Now she needs to rest and I know how we miss them so when they head for Rainbow Bridge but they need us to think in terms of what is a humane way to treat our beloved pets. It is something we all think about and especially when a pet is in its teens (elderly). I know I have. Thankfully the cancer did not show up when she was young, but in late life when she has already had a great life.

My sincere best wishes and prayers are with you at this time.
They leave paw prints on our hearts forever.
Saying good-bye is never easy.

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
KatzNK9
Site Regular

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news. Just keep the memory of her healthy years & happy life in mind when the end of her days with you comes. She has given you her all & you can now give her the peace she deserves when the time is right. She will tell you when that time comes.

Hugs to you.
KatzNK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
spotnic
New Around Here

I Know what you are going through I had a chiuchwa(sorry about spelling) and he died aged 15.thought my heart would break as he was my little mate.But time passed and I now have another mate. But hecky will always be with me.She will be happy I believe there is a place beside us when the time comes so she will be there to welcome you.Big hugs my arms are around you at this time
spotnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
IS IT NOT AMAZING HOW CHILDISH AND STUPID SOME PEOPLE CAN BE. If we wanted to see garbage like this we would go where it is. I just don't get how some people get their jollies by irritating other people.
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health