Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health » Senior Dog Natural Joint Supplements

Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
woof_sense
New Around Here

Senior Dog Natural Joint Supplements

My 11 year old GSD is starting to show her age. She has a few bad mornings getting up thanks to her arthritis. She has been prescribed with Rimadyl but I'm not really comfortable having to give it to her as a lifetime maintenance.

We are now in the process of asking around for an effective yet affordable natural joint supplement for her.

Any suggestions?
woof_sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

I use Glucosamine/chondroitan for my dogs and myself. Buy it at Wally World in the vitamin section. No side effects. My vet doesn't agree with it cause it's better for him to sell me Rymadil but it has too many side effects for my taste. Warm baths and some massage works too! Morgan used to love his time every week-end in a warm tub moving his legs and massaging his hips. Just a little spoiled...
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
LABLOVER500
Been Around A While

If your dog is already on Rimadyl, ten to 1 its already enough advaced arthritis that the gluc/chondroitin regimen wont touch the pain. As far as most people POO'POOING Rimadyl, it depends on the dog, EVERY dog is different. My Indy has been on a combination of Rimadyl and Tramadol for 5 years, yep, FIVE.... He has his blood work done every 4-6 months and in those five years he has THIVED on this combination; but, every dog is different.

Before trying Rimadyl, you could have chosen a lesser strength drug. Two options are tramadol or meloxican (metacam at the vet's office in liquid form). The tramadol is Ultram, a human drug, that you have to get at the pharmacy for about 4 bux a month. The mexloxicam you can get at your vets for about 80-100 bux a month, or have them call in a prescription to your pharmacy for meloxican (same drug but in pill form), 4 bux a month, but this actually lasts for two months because you have to cut the pills in half. My chocolate lab, Jobe, has been on this for almost a year and has no more arthritic pain. The tramadol was too strong for him.

Or, you can given an enteric coated aspirin, 325 mg, for a large breed dog up to 3 times a day.

Your call, you know how your dog is painwise, stiffness, etc.
LABLOVER500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

Metacam has a tendency to eat holes in organs. One of mine was on that and I researched. Found it was originally released in Canada. When Morgan needed some type of pain relief, vet put him on it but required me to have a full liver profile on him every 3 months due to it's trial staus in the states. NOT. I went to liquid Glucosamine and he was good. Whatever works and you're comfortable with...go with it! The Glucosamine actually worked better for Morgan but in constantly increasing doseages
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
saveawolf
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to saveawolf
vid helps http://www.ehow.com/video_5238555_dogs-arthritis.html

hating pad old dog he likes it witch out yell really loud use to cry hurts so bad point putting him to sleep. pad save him swimming help
ou can close your eyes to hide the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to hide the things you don't want to feel...x
saveawolf is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health