Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Show Dogs > What is it all about? » need help in the obedience ring

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
First, you need to let Elsa out to go do her bussiness before starting any work.

No Else should not be doing this behavior. It is saying LOOK AT ME DO WHAT I WANT TO DO, LETS PLAY...

For Tigger, I grab his muzzle, and spin him around, then lift him up by the collar/muzzle till he calms down. I tell him 'KNOCK IT OFF' in a stern momma tone. This works on agression issues as well.

What I think you need to do is put Elsa on heel position, take one step with her watching you, stop and treat from mouth. Do this 5 times, one step halts. Then go to 2 steps and hault. Elsa does not have attention down, and I feel you are rushing her.

Litterally take it one step at a time. Before going into the ring a good rule of thumb is your dog should be able to look at you for 2 mins solid without looking away.

I would also 'proof' her by having her sit in heel position and have your husband throw balls at her feet, this is time you hit her with a correction. Make him throw treats as well...and even come up behind you clapping his hands. These are all proofing methods we use at the club, we even have electronic toys we use including a remote controll car. hehe...
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I honestly do not like the advice your trainer is giving, does she have any OTCH titled dogs, or is she more of a general dog trainer. If she has OTCH dogs and is giving this advice, it might work on her dogs, for some reason...but for the rest of us, I doubt her advice works.

Elsa is kinda is tellin you whos boss...in a round about way with the barking.
its not agression its just saying look at me lets play, I want to play, I want to do this.

Tigger did this for a short time at about 14 months old, he all sudden did the bark thing, where I couldnt get him to stop, and like i said, you grab the muzzle, spin the dog usually counter clockwise, and lift up as if you were grabbing him to give a kiss and not let go till you feel the dog is relaxed.

You are right now ghost leashing Elsa, and kinda tricking her, but she does not know that heel means stay beside me regardless of leash or not. I fear that when you take off the leash in the ring, she will see this and wont perform, this is why I have not taken Tigger into the ring yet, he would forge so heavy.

I think its great your husband will work Elsa, but make sure he is doing the exact thing you are, even moving shoulders can be a cue to the dog, minute arm or hand movements also can be read...so be very carefull and observant.
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #23
gsdmama
Been Around A While

she has never done this before and it started with my hubby in October, so how do I break her of this when i can't even catch her. I don't want to chase her as I was told not to chase her but to run away from her, but when I do walk away she comes over and starts barking. i had a feeling that is was more of getting attention to play and not aggression and that is why our trainer said to ignore her and walk away, but even when i let her out and close the door and walk away she barks. I always let her go potty before we work. for some reason she had to go again.

I always work her on leash. I haven't take her off leash till today. I wanted to see what she would do and she did it.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Show Dogs > What is it all about?