Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Not about K9 stuff » Update on my gang

Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Vander
Site Regular

Update on my gang

I think this is the third update I've tried writing over the last couple of months, I couldn't bring myself to finish the other ones. Let me start off with the fact that last year was really hard on me, like I know it was for a lot of people here, when it came to health of my gang.

My 13 going on 14 year old cat, Rayson, got sick at the end of March last year and after a short battle of cancer he passed away in June. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss him.

Life hasn't been easy for Moses, my now 18 year old cat, who has had a very hard couple of months, he has multiple health problems, and right now we're just trying to make him as comfortable as possible.

Moira, who celebrated her 9th birthday last year, hasn't been doing to well either. She was sick back in August/September with vomiting and bloody diarrhea, which lead to taking her to the E-Vet which was a horrible mistake. I have always played it 'better safe then sorry' when it came to my animals and have taken them to the E-Vet for things that in all reality they probably could have waited another 8+ hours to see their normal vet but have taken them anyway just to be safe. After that experience in September I'm not sure if I'll stick to that plan, I personally am not a fan of being berated and belittled when it comes to the care of my pets.

This past Wednesday the vet confirmed Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in her front right leg. She always has problems with her joints in the winter so when she started limping early in the year we just assumed it was because of the weather. When the limping continued I knew exactly what the problem was, I was really hoping I was wrong. Part of the problem was Moira doesn't show pain at all, so we would take her in and the vet's couldn't determine where she was hurting. The vet said that he has never seen a dog with Osteosarcoma not yelp or whine when manipulating the joint or feeling around, which he did both before they took the x-rays and Moira just laid there giving no indication that it hurt. So now we'll make her as comfortable as possible and spoil her rotten.

On the happier side I did get a kitten, named Casey, in August I didn't really plan on getting another cat but he's a joy to be around. I made the mistake of tagging along when my brother decided to go to the shelter because he was looking for a cat. Casey won us both over by jumping all over us, we both ending up walking out with black kittens from different litters. He really is something, I've never really had a cat quite like him before. However, he too has had some health problems as have Lex and Zoey, it's just been one thing after another.

I really don't know what to do now, how am I suppose to go on without the cat I've had since I was 7 years old and the dog I waited 12 years for? Right now I'm not sure if I will get another dog, it took me 2 years after Karl passed away in 2007 to even consider getting another cat. I was actually looking to get another dog before I got Casey and came rather close 2 or 3 times but now I'm not sure.
with that hammer in your heart

And it's all right
take the world and make it yours again

Matthew Good ~ Symbolistic White Walls (Extended Lyrics)
Vander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
So sorry to hear of your troubles. Aging pets is one of the hardest things to go through, mine are all getting older and it is very heartbreaking just to see them with sore muscles and things that they didn't used to have... They are like children to most of us and it is very painful to see them in pain. I hope you do end up getting another dog eventually, it is the greatest homage we can pay to our lost babies, to give another unwanted, uncared for furbabie a new and wonderful home. It takes time to mourn and get over the loss of one but eventually getting another is a wonderful way to help heal your heart. Hang in there and spoil them all rotten while you can...
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. I am sending prayers your way.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

Too much sickness and death in too short a timeframe. I sure feel for you. It can be very exhausting. Sending prayers.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Vander
Site Regular

Thank you all for your kind words, it really means a lot to me. I think I just got a bit spoiled when it came to the health of my animals, with Moses, Rayson, and Zoey being extremely healthy into their teens. This is the only downside of having pets, outliving them.

As for getting another dog right now I don't want one but who knows how I'll feel in a few months.

And it's all right

Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

Sending tons of hugs and positive vibes your way. Just keep your head up.
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
Vander
Site Regular

A bit of an update: We seem to have finally found the right combination of painkillers for Moira, she had been having problems keeping down her food but so far the new combo is working pretty well. Also Moses seems to be doing a bit better now that the weather has been getting nicer, I honestly have no idea what's going on with him.

Lex, my six year old cat, has been sick for the last couple of weeks. All the blood work came back showing that he had an infection and we thought it was because of his teeth, Lex always had a bit of a tartar problem because he wasn't big on chewing his food. He went to the vet's office on Thursday morning to get more tests done to confirm that nothing else was wrong, I was reluctant to take him because he had been breathing weird that morning. They did chest x-rays and found that his lungs were filled with fluid, he was diagnosed with Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). The next morning he seemed a bit better but by the afternoon his condition worsened, Lex passed away around 5:30 on the 23rd. Lex was a very special cat, he helped me get through a lot, I just wish I could have done more for him...

I love you my pudgy boy

And it's all right

Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I am so sorry to hear about Lex! Poor kitty . My uncle had a kitten that got the same thing, and died as a kitten...it is a devistating illness/virus.

I too know the pain of loosing pets, I lost my dog Taz a few months ago, she was 15 and I had her since I was 9 or so. It was hard to let her go, making the decision...but we could tell she was in pain, so we gave her that last gift...Thats the thing about dogs, they absolutly hide their pain, so if they SHOW they are in pain, you know they are really really hurting...

I am glad you are making Moses and Moria comfortable.
Maybe try this : http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merch...roduct_Count=2

For Moses's joints.

Keep us posted on any changes, thoughts and prayers are with you.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
sandyb
Been Around A While

Such sad stories Vander, I really feel for you. It's so hard to lose our pets or to see them unwell. My heart goes out to you.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Shells_k
Been Around A While

SO sorry to hear about Lex. What a rough year you are having.
RIP dear Rex.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Not about K9 stuff