Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum » Paphaven

Old 05-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Paphaven

Well I am getting my first "transport/foster" Papillon NEXT WEEKEND!!!

I am traveling to Dallas, and keeping "Miss Geegee" for a few weeks, before I go to Alberquerque for my Connie Cleveland seminar. She is going to the lady I am staying with.

GeeGee is a 14 year old, blind in one eye, and partically deaf girl, that "quacks" instead of barks.

I have been asked to become a foster mom for Paphaven, and accepted their offer, which pays for everything except food, which Paps dont eat that much anyways! LOL.

I am so excited to become a "member" of something, but I am hoping to still work with DAWGS. The problem is my pound in my city says its "against the law" to rescue a dog from the pound with the intent to give it to a rescue. I will continue to rescue from the pound every other month (so we dont get "caught") but if I can help Paphaven as well...well, I am going for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bCLY2C9II8
A Paphaven video that I recently watched...And thought Id share with yall.

Will send yall pictures and keep ya posted!

~Mer n Crew!
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

Good luck to you! I enjoyed helping out the local Cocker rescue until I realized she just didn't keep her promises. One of my fosters required expensive eye meds and she never helped not one bit with the cost. Took me a year and a half to get worm medicine from her for the older one who constantly had worms and passed them on to my other dogs. Then there was the foster who tried to rip my face off... She didn't even ask about him nor me until 6 months after the incident! I gotta find some other rescue to hook up with but not right now. I needa job!!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Good luck to you! I enjoyed helping out the local Cocker rescue until I realized she just didn't keep her promises. One of my fosters required expensive eye meds and she never helped not one bit with the cost. Took me a year and a half to get worm medicine from her for the older one who constantly had worms and passed them on to my other dogs. Then there was the foster who tried to rip my face off... She didn't even ask about him nor me until 6 months after the incident! I gotta find some other rescue to hook up with but not right now. I needa job!!

Yes, this scenario scares me too. DAWGS lady is kinda slow at doing things I have noticed, thats why I have made it where I havent had to pay anything yet (as far as getting them outta the pound or shots) I go to their vet, after she calls them, and tell them "Im with DAWGS" and they charge the shots/vet check up to their account.

It seems Paphaven is a really organized group of people, they require contact though email so they always have documentation on what you have said.

I too need a job soon. I can only get out n do stuff and see if someone tells me or offers me or heads me up on a job I should apply for.

Hopefully things will work out for the both of us! Ill pray for you if you pray for me ! =) Hehe!

<3
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 05-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Labman
Been Around A While

My lack of response to some of your rescue threads doesn't mean I'm not pleased to see them. It is just I am not sure I can help.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
bootscar1
Been Around A While

I am so excited to become a "member" of something, but I am hoping to still work with DAWGS. The problem is my pound in my city says its "against the law" to rescue a dog from the pound with the intent to give it to a rescue. I will continue to rescue from the pound every other month (so we dont get "caught") but if I can help Paphaven as well...well, I am going for it.

Hi I guess I'm not all that familar with the terms and I 'm not understanding what you mean when you talk of rescue vs pound??
I do understand that your helping dogs so good luck to both of you ! lol
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootscar1 View Post

Hi I guess I'm not all that familar with the terms and I 'm not understanding what you mean when you talk of rescue vs pound??
I do understand that your helping dogs so good luck to both of you ! lol

A pound KILLS dogs after 3 days of no claim. A rescue organization named DAWGS is a no kill shelter that finds dogs homes and takes care of them (even doing heartworm treatment/parvo and other diseases)

Our pound in town is a 95% kill rate, meaning most of the animals brought in are killed.

It is very high rate, most pounds are 85% kill rate. Perfectly adoptable dogs that just dont have the chance or exposure to get a home are put down.

Hope that helps! =)
~Meredith
Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
bootscar1
Been Around A While

wow I never realized the kill rate was so high in a pound and yes thank you it does help.
I know that our rescue animal shelter here they now have about 5 dogs that have been there for almost a year and they have to find homes for them very soon or they will have to be put down. I wish I could take them all but right now I've got all that I can handle. BTW that paphaven video is really touching to watch and inspiring for those who can help like yourself ..
Judy
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

With Myles, he was in the County Animal Shelter as a runaway with no ID. He had just 10 days or he would be PTS especially after they found out he was HW positive. That "shelter" is a high kill. Our Humane Society is no-kill now and the rescue I used to work with is no-kill but there's over a hundred dogs there so it's no Holiday Inn for dogs at all. They live as a pack on 10 acres of land with only the minimum vet care. Not a good life for critters.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #9
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
With Myles, he was in the County Animal Shelter as a runaway with no ID. He had just 10 days or he would be PTS especially after they found out he was HW positive. That "shelter" is a high kill. Our Humane Society is no-kill now and the rescue I used to work with is no-kill but there's over a hundred dogs there so it's no Holiday Inn for dogs at all. They live as a pack on 10 acres of land with only the minimum vet care. Not a good life for critters.
Its hard to fathom how many dogs there are in the world, and how much it takes for them all to be healthy and have a good wellbeing.

100 dogs on 10 acers, Id rather have that and slowly adopt them out than have em PTS.

Mylee had 10 days, dogs here have 3...and now he is going to be a great companion to you for many years to come...all because you did the right thing, stepped up when odds were against him and gave him a fighting chance that is worth every second of every minute and every penny of every dollar spent on him.

I hope we get our pound to no-kill status or something...
~Meredith
Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

Well you know who to come to for Papillon advice. =] I love PapHaven..I wouldn't mind fostering for them at some point in the future.. WTG Shara!

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum