Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum » Getting 2 Rescues Tomarrow!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

It's REALLY hard for me to keep my mouth shut, especially when I've just been to the shelter and seen all of the dogs that were scheduled to die. The times I've taken one or two home, I was leaving another 30 or 40 to die. Yeah, it feels good to spring a dog or two but it's soured when you know you aren't really even putting a dent in the problem. Clueless buyers are willing to pay hundreds or even thousands to "breeders" who say they care about their dogs but do nothing to make sure the dogs they are breeding are healthy and suitable. We used to have 7 Rottie breeders here in the town of 70,000 people where I live, and none of them were quality breeders. Now we're down to just 3 (with one intentionally breeding mixes), but plenty of their dogs end up at the shelter. It all just makes me sick.
It does make me glad when I read that someone is doing all of the right things BEFORE breeding, but you rarely see that.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I have enormous respect for anybody doing rescue. And nothing but contempt for the clueless that fill our shelters one way or another. I have a real problem knowing we slaughter millions of dogs a year for lack of homes. I can not respond to questions here and elsewhere where somebody is asking a very basic question about breeding that indicates they haven't even read a general book on dogs. Saying what I think would only send them away mad and get me banned. I just have to hope somebody else can write a gentle, effective answer.

The shelters are overwhelmed where poorly paid people try to stay within an inadequate budget. Rescue people give their time and often their own money saving dogs from others' ignorance.

I could not have said it better Labman. Since discovering rescue at least 10 years ago I must admit to being worse than the most determined tick! I really had no idea soooo many dogs were homeless. Dang - was I stupid or what?! Actually, I was on the list at the HS for a Cocker Spaniel for near two years before I found out none are available because a local rescue took them ALL! Once I found that out I've had a steady supply of my favorite pooch breed! Now that she no longer takes the elders I scope out the kill shelters to save 'just one more'. Four at a time though? PHEW! Good grief!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
It's REALLY hard for me to keep my mouth shut, especially when I've just been to the shelter and seen all of the dogs that were scheduled to die. The times I've taken one or two home, I was leaving another 30 or 40 to die. Yeah, it feels good to spring a dog or two but it's soured when you know you aren't really even putting a dent in the problem. Clueless buyers are willing to pay hundreds or even thousands to "breeders" who say they care about their dogs but do nothing to make sure the dogs they are breeding are healthy and suitable. We used to have 7 Rottie breeders here in the town of 70,000 people where I live, and none of them were quality breeders. Now we're down to just 3 (with one intentionally breeding mixes), but plenty of their dogs end up at the shelter. It all just makes me sick.
It does make me glad when I read that someone is doing all of the right things BEFORE breeding, but you rarely see that.
Anne, do not feel bad at all. I belive you did your part rescuing before you got your papered dog. We are all happy about Baloo, and have enjoyed watching a healthy happy puppy grow. And you are wrong about not putting a dent in the problem. The dogs that you got out, the people they went to, it has a ripple effect. The more people 'rescue' they realize "omg I can get a real good dog from rescue/pound"...They go and tell their story of this great dog to friends, who might then consider adoption...Or refer friends/family to that rescue, ect.

There is so many backyard breeders of doxies and chihuahuas in this town it would really surprize you. In a town of 12k people...they are small dogs and people breed them like fish in water.

I am so glad things worked out and I can maybe get the small dogs to the adoption place. I never realized how many cute lil guys were in the pound and just put down because of room issues.

They only bring in a handfull a day, but they add up fast, and only adopt out 20 or so a month. I am hopfully going to increase that number.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Hope it all works out! Are you just fostering until there's room at the rescue?
I've done that a few times over the years...and sometimes they were with me so long I just decided to adopt them myself.

They are going to the city tomarrow, I am getting them their shots and they are all so small they will prolly be adopted this weekend or the next.

All they have at the adoption place is BIG dogs, no little dogs. This is another reason why the lady I am coordinating with is so excited about me bringing in small dogs, because people are ASKING if they have any small ones, and they dont!

There is no way I can take anymore doggies in, as I have 4 at home =)

I am personally scared of what I might be bringing home as far as diseases or fleas/ticks, but I am going to be frontlining them in the parkinglot soon as I get them...

And they seem "healthy" acting. So I am hoping everything goes okay!

Will post pics soon!
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 05-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #15
Shara
Been Around A While

We got the chihuahua and the doxie mix. It was a LONG day...

First off I walked out with JUST the chihuahua, a friend from my mothers work came and got the doxie. After I left the shelter, the lady called crying, saying she changed her mind. So I had to go get the dog after all the papers were signed to her.

It was a MESS.

Then...

When the man from the pound went to get the schnauzer, in fearfullness and being cornered by the man, the dog bit at him. He said he was not fit to be adopted out.

The lab puppy was not adoptable because they have had too many puppies that have been adopted out and were sick and died, so he said he didnt want me to get the puppy because it would be a money pit for someone else.

The guy that let me adopt them, in good faith that they were going to be fixed and have their shots, would not let me adopt anymore out.

I am not to return till next month, because legally he isnt suppose to let any animal go that isnt spayed/neutered.

He is working with the Courts in my town to try to make it where a rescue organization can come in and get dogs, but as it is now, legally it is not possible.

What a load of BS. They put down 249 dogs last month of April in my small town, so they rather do that than give them to someone who cares!

><"
~Meredith
Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 AM   #16
Shara
Been Around A While

~Meredith
Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
Shara
Been Around A While

~Meredith
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
Momto3
Been Around A While

Don't you just love red tape?! At least you saved a couple more from the big ole needle. Wish I could take more in but I have a 4-dog limit where I live.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #19
Shara
Been Around A While

I have wonderfull news. Chico Max is already adopted and the family is heads-over-heels in love with him (he was a hyper lil cute thing!). And Molly is going to the lady I am 'connected' with's Brother's Parents-in-Law...a older couple that wanted a calm dog...which Molly was deffinatly calm.

The bad thing is, both came down with a kennel cough. They are doing ok. None of my dogs got it, so I think they might have gotten it at the rescue.

Molly had already been fixed, so she didnt have to have that surgury! Horray!

So I am so happy, I could cry. I cannot belive they are going to forever homes...it is a overwhelming feeling that they are going to bring so much joy to these familiy's lives.
~Meredith
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
JessicaR
Been Around A While

those two look almost identical to the ones in our dog pound, Peanut and Wags! http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16410214
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum