Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Working Dog » what sports are you interested in

Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
Talking what sports are you interested in

hi all i thought iwould just ask what every one is interested in with their dogs as i have a large interest in all sports doggy and find that we dont get enough coverage for these types of sports and that only a few are shown or discussed out side the speciallity so many pet owners have never heard of them nevermind seen them. here in england the general public only get to see freestyle heal work to music, obedience, and agility and fly ball only when crufts is advertized. yet there are five or six behavioiural programmes on a week on one channel or another. yet if we egnigted intrest in owners about doggie sports they may find a channel to relieve bordem and behaviour problems that their dog has aqkuired through little or poor training.

i my self participate, compete and train others in obedience, ringcraft and heal work to music, i also train my owndogs and compete in agility, flyball and schutzhund. i have different dogs which do different sports because i found that each dog has its own preferences and abilities so they all dont enjoy the same sport just like our selves.

i found this out after have two obedience champions saracen and Archie and then my second doberman Lyka learnt very quick but at six months said no not interested and we just were not progeressing, i was introduced to schutzhund and tracking and working trials by a policeman. Lyka fell in love with the idea of find people who she could bark at and hang of their arms and she is now gained her kerung as well as her shutzhund 1,2, and three.

Lyric has brain dammage but has some bezzare behaviours that i have trained to be now produced on command which helped him controle his own bodily condition, this was done with clicker training and we now compete in freestyle heal work to music. all my dogs do flyball and all but lyric do agility he cant cos hefalls backwards when he climbs up things

i never push my sogs to do things they dont enjoy or ithey are injured we are a very happy family and have made lots of friends in our adventures.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
ilovemywestie
Banned

Smile Persy and I love Agility!-Persy and Amy

Me and Persy love Agility!

Persy & Amy,
ilovemywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Carol
Been Around A While

Wow dobe you are a busy person..into lots of active things with your dogs.
Good going!
If I had gotten Casey as a young dog I think I would have liked agility or flyball for her if she had been into that.
Persy and Amy you are busy as well.
I admire the dogs that excel at agility. It is great for dogs and families to be involved in activities where they get to socialize and have fun.
I will try as soon as all this darn snow starts to disappear, to find an activity suited to Casey my senior girl's interests and abilities. She sure would be a great therapy dog but I don't have a car so difficult to get around with her unless they decide to let her on the bus LOL
Good Luck to both of you with your beloved pets and their wonderful achievements.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
FlyDogz
New Around Here

My dogs and I love flyball. We also compete in agility. In the past we've competed in obedience and working trials - which is great fun with a 10" Jack Russell!!!

However, our first love is flyball.

I have recently discovered the American (and growing on mainland Europe I believe) sport of Rally which sounds fascinating and I think would be a great addition in the UK!!!

Steph.
Steph
The Swifts Flyball Team
http://www.freewebs.com/swiftsflyball

Heartside Border Collies and Jack Russells
http://www.freewebs.com/flydogz
FlyDogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Cinnabar
New Around Here

We love agility. Cinnamon went to the NADAC Championships last year.

Agility & Flyball Frames

Billings Agility
Cinnabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
May209
Been Around A While

My malamute loves to pull. She is alot of fun in the winter.. But in the summer she like to run along side my bike. Lots of fun.. We have tried agility and love that too just don't have the time right now with 4 active kids. We will get back to it someday.
May209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
toppers
Been Around A While

My boxer used to run alongside my bike, she's stopped now as she's getting old! A gentle 3 mile hike is all she can manage now. She's 11 & half.
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
May209
Been Around A While

I guess we can't expect them to run forever.. We have to enjoy them while we can. I have one that can't run any more now she goes to the library on Saturdays and listens to kids read to her. She is very happy doing that now.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
Carol
Been Around A While

I now have adopted Jake, a 10 yr old Jack Russell/Beagle.
He is a ball of energy for his age. Loves to play fetch and loves his Kong and chews any chewee thing you give him.
He even gets Casey all excited about running and playing.
Because of the age, I likely won't get him into anything that requires prolonged activity but I certainly will make sure he gets to run as much as his 10 yr old legs can handle this Spring and Summer.

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
May209
Been Around A While

You know when you think about it as long as our dogs are with us they are happy doing most anything.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Working Dog