Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Taking the plunge to RMB's

Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
K9MadMum
New Around Here

Question Taking the plunge to RMB's

I have been feeding my Alaskan malamute minced raw meat from our local pet store for the last two weeks now,and as i come to the end of my supply i have decided to take the plunge into a fully fledged RMB diet. I am going to speak to my local butcher and Fish monger this morning and see if we can come to an arrangement on some bones etc for koda.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the change over to this diet, is it better to start with a certain meat/offal/fish?
I have also heard whole rabbits are good to, but do you need to prepare them in anyway?
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kirsty & Koda xx
K9MadMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
toppers
Been Around A While

check out the RAW DIET thread on this forum, bulldog1 has their own diet sheet. I've started introducing my dogs, slowly to the new diet over the past week, only one dog got loose poops on one day, but a lot of gurgly tummies were to be heard. They are much more responsive to my commands now, so it's all good.
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
bulldog1
New Around Here

raw food

Hi K9mad mum No there is no need to prepare the rabbit in any way just give it to them whole are you getting them from a butchers? in not then the fur is also a naural wormer and the internal organ meat is also good for them. Have you got a morrisons near you? if so then they do sell raw meaty bones just ask the butcher to save you some they are really cheap as well but frezze them for 24 hours befor feeding to the dogs it kills of harmful bacteria,

Toppers they all get funny tummys when thay change over to raw but it will go away and the end results are fab more energy, better coat condition ect

well good luck
bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
K9MadMum
New Around Here

Thanks very much!!

Thanks for the tips!! Koda enjoyed a whole Mackeral this afternoon and a chicken leg for dinner,it was funny to watch as he really didnt have a clue what to do with it,but once he got the hang of it you could tell he was enjoying every second!
We do have a morrisons near so i will pop in there on friday.
Tell me honestly,do they make lots of mess with a rabbit? He gets fed in the garden but i have two small children who are enjoying the warmer weather outside and i'm worried about the mess.

Kirsty & Koda xx
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
toppers
Been Around A While

Too small for RMB?

I'm not sure my small dogs can handle the true RMB diet as they are too tiny (probably the same size as the rabbit!) I gave them chicken wing tips on Monday, 3 out of the 4 daxies ate with great gusto - Sophia looked at it as if it were poison, eventually she had a go but had blood in her stools the next day so haven't given them any since, she also barfed up the lambs heart from last night. It's not going so great, should I carry on?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
K9MadMum
New Around Here

Detox??

I'm sorry to hear its not going so well for you on the old BARF diet,Can i ask what made you start your dogs on it?
I have heard aswell that the dogs go through like a detox for the first week or so while there bodies flush out all the toxins from the shop bought diets which is why they have the runs.
Do you think you will persevere in a couple of days time??

Kirsty & Koda xx
Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
bulldog1
New Around Here

First Koda no they dont make a mess well I have never had any part of the rabbit or rabbits blood anywhere apart from the dogs mouths, and yes you are right they do go thro a detox and with any change of diet a dog will get the runs.

Toppers as I said raw food dont work for all dogs it could be that the meat is to rich for her and with small dogs you can always get the blender out but I would give them another try esp the 3 that enjoyed it. Well good luck and all dogs are different
bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
toppers
Been Around A While

To k9madmum: I started because my daxie boy has itchy skin, I checked for the obvious and found no reasons for him scratching, it looks like dermatitus so the vet suggested it could be a food allergy, so I decided to go for a natural diet and did some investigating. I'm slowly weaning him off dry complete, it's been about a week -as today is the first day without any dry food at all. I'm using tripe/minced chicken/lamb hearts/raw meat/fish/eggs/pureed veg and fruits(not all at the same time -I alternate!), I was put off by the thought of feeding them chicks and mice (only RMB small enough) and tried chicken wing tips as I am concerned about their teeth (eldest daxie is 6 and has always had dry food as this encourages clean teeth) I didn't want to ruin their teeth as they are beautifully clean. I'm going to carry on but not sure about the chicken wing tips.

To bulldog: Thank you -I will carry on, everyone has nice poops today and no one was sick yet!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
brad0405
New Around Here

I nice sized cheap beef cut is a Shank Steak which is basically a two inch thick portion of leg. My English Shepherd loves them and the bone marrow and bone are an after meal treat
brad0405 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet