Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » safety belts or crates?

Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #21
LABLOVER500
Been Around A While

I have a jeep and in the summertime it is topless and doorless... I often wheel with my 2 dogs... They have a normal harness during regular outings around town.. but when wheeling.. they are in a 4-point harness.. I've had the jeep on her side with both big boys in the back.. they do perfect...
LABLOVER500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #22
LoveMyLabs
Been Around A While

I've never used anything. I put them in the back seat and they stay there. Granted it's probably not good if we ever got in a wreck but a crate wouldn't be either. I'd say the harness/seat belt is the better way to go.
Tony, Kim, Gunner & Tira.
LoveMyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #23
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I use the seatbelt with Cerbie, and I think i'm going to get a carseat for Brigit. I've been in an accident with Cerbie, andI was so glad I had the seatbelt harness for him.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:56 AM   #24
LupineRain
New Around Here

Talking

Hello! I use the doggie seat belts all the time. Having a small car, it's the best way for me to travel with my animals. i usually keep my smaller dogs, like the JRT's, in the crate, but put the seat belt on my lab and golden. Iv never had a problem with the seat belts and it keeps them in the seat when they try to come up to the front to "visit" me. lol. not the greatest thing for a dog to do when im driving on a highway. I highly recomend them.
LupineRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #25
caninejan
Been Around A While

Bubba rides with a seat belt tether connected to his harness at all times. We're in the car alot and this is the only way to keep him safe while allowing him the freedom to sit, lie down and stand. He's great in the car!

Bubba at play during a break from training. Mary is in the background.
caninejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #26
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Neka loves the car, and she love to ride in the back seat.

The longest ride she goes on is across town (about 10 miles) so she rides loose. She goes into the neighbors dog crate when its on thier garage floor so I think she would be fine with a crate, but I've never tried it with her in a car.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #27
kiya
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to kiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobetaztic View Post
i use both but i would never drive any where without one or the other, we should always think what happens to ourselves if we crash the same will hapen to our dogs, it is now illeagal for children and adulots not to be restrained any where in the car because it is deamed dangerous this should also be implyed for our animals.
i think it is illegal now to drive with a dog not stapped in or caged,, x

kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #28
kiya
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to kiya
i use doggy seat belts, but my male hates it, and i dont have room for a cage in my car, my female loves the seat belt, x

kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #29
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
Both my kids travel in crates, both seem happier with the arrangement than the seatbelt. I bungee both crates down in the back of my car (I have a hatchback, crate fitting was one of the #1 priorities when I bought my car) and face them towards the back which makings loading and unloading really simple.

I am generally a careful driver, but I don't always trust other people on the road. If anything ever happens, I want my kids to be in a safe place.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs