Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » 2200 miles with 2 children, 1 puppy, and 1 rat

Old 05-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

2200 miles with 2 children, 1 puppy, and 1 rat

All I can say is.....wish me luck! Going from Ohio to California. I may not be taking my rat after all, he's sick and the vet may have to put him down but the other 3 are definitely coming with me. Any words of advice?
clser2thehrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

How old is the puppy? The dog walk areas at rest areas are often a source of diseases including parvo. Unless you puppy is at least 4 months old and had several parvo shots, keep him away from them. When I have young puppies, I carry them from the car out away from the main area and put it down on leash near the ramp. The puppy is safe there on leash, but little kids may not be. Try to keep them all safe.

I hope at least one of the children is old enough to be left in the car with the puppy while the rest of you go inside. The weather may be too warm to leave the puppy in a closed up car. Petstores are no better places for young puppies, but with an older one, may be a friendlier place for rest stops with younger children. Get on the Petco and Petsmart store locaters, and identify convienent ones along the way.

The kids likely will welcome fast foods drive throughs. The puppy may be tolerated at outdoor tables.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

wow, that's a lot of GOOD advice. The puppy is about 4 or 5 months (b-day is january) and she's getting round 2 of shots next week, but I'll probably still keep her away from those areas now. I doubt we'll be "going in" to eat at alot of places, and I'm currently mapping pet friendly motels. Mapping the petsmart stores is a good idea too. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Good advice for the pup, For the kids, take lots to do. Play car games like I spy and see how many license plates you can find. I've done everything from VA to WI from FL. It's not as bad as it may seem. I would leave in the wee early morning hours, that way much of the driving can be done at night when the kids and pup are sleeping. I did north Carolina there and back with two pups age three months and one kid. Then when I did Mississippi and back in one day I had two pups and two kids.
Kong toys and chewys were my god sent with the pups.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Labman
Been Around A While

She should be safe from most diseases once the last round of shots has 2 weeks to build immunity. So don't risk the kids keeping her away from where other dogs have eliminated.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
She should be safe from most diseases once the last round of shots has 2 weeks to build immunity. So don't risk the kids keeping her away from where other dogs have eliminated.
I think I'm lost.....risk the kids?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
Labman
Been Around A While

If you followed my suggestion of walking the dog near traffic, it wouldn't be the best place for little kids. A puppy, 2 kids, and only 2 hands?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #8
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
If you followed my suggestion of walking the dog near traffic, it wouldn't be the best place for little kids. A puppy, 2 kids, and only 2 hands?
Ohhh, ok...I see now. Sorry, I can be a bit ditzy! Not in the way of walking kids near traffic though. I will have to scope out a safe place for all of the above.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Get a kennel for the puppy to stay in while travelling. It will keep the puppy calm and out of harms way if you leave her in the motel while you go for supper, at night, etc. My parents traveled for two days with my brother's puppy (they were taking the puppy to him) and their adult dog, the puppy slept most of the time in her kennel and was always kept on a leash. They carried chew toys to keep her occupied and cleaning stuff just in case there was an accident in the car or hotel.

For exercise, my parents turned off the highway onto dirt roads near farmer's fields to let the dogs stretch their legs and relieve themselves, have a snack and drink of water. Much easier to do this in the great outdoors as opposed to the local truck stop where you don't know what is littering the ground. Mom prepared picnic lunches which they had 'tailgate style' so that they wouldn't have to leave the dogs in the car while they were in a restaurant.
Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

all very good ideas. I'm glad I posted this :-)

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs