Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Welcome to the Dogs Behaving Badly Forum

Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Welcome to the Dogs Behaving Badly Forum

I was just talkiing to a person on the phone who said, "my dog is good, just not obedient." There are dogs that seem to have selective hearing and behave when they choose to. These dogs can frustrate their owners to the point of assuming the dog is not trainable. They may take it to the shelter,abuse or neglect it. Sharing information on things that you have used on your dogs or in your classes may be the difference between an abused, negleted dog and a dog who wants to please.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 AM   #2
michellecox_10
New Around Here

I am hoping someone on here will be able to give me some advice on how to deal with my dog. I have a 10-month old male lab puppy. He works very well on the leash, due to obedience training. However, in the house, he is another story. When myself or my husband is alone with him, he is very well behaved. As soon as we are together, he seems to act up. By this I mean barking at us, trying to jump up at us, bite me (not my husband) - he is just an all-around pain in the neck. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
michellecox_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
LabpupsUK
Been Around A While

Hi

I have a 7 month old male lab and a 5yr old male lab. I don't have the problems you have but to me it sounds like the dog is jealous. My boys sometimes argue as to who can get closest to me as I am the pack leader but they don't have a problem with my partner.

Saying that when we first got the oldest one I didn't live with my boyfriend and whenever he came round Harvey (dog) would always try and sit between us, he never got agressive but was definitely trying to push my partner down the pecking order. A few deliberate pushes off the sofa (where he loved to sit) and being ignored soon made him understand it was not allowed and he had to share me.

Are there any particular occasions when the dog gets aggressive with you? I am presuming it is when you are both showing affection for each other and ignorning the dog.
LabpupsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
LabMomHouston
Been Around A While

I would say that the dog does not respect you both as being higher in the pack than he is. I have two labs as well. Neither of them are allowed on the furniture. Neither of them have issues with my husband or I being next to each other, hugging or kissing. However, I do have an Irish Setter that is visiting us and he neither respects us or his owner. He will bark anytime I give my husband a hug. He tries to get up on the furniture and begs for food to the point he tries to put his nose in your plate. I have been working with him by forcing him away while we are eating and keeping him off the furniture. During the evenings when he is here with me, he is quiet for the most part, but last night when his owner was here...he was wild. Begging again, barking again. He really needs some training. It's awful.

I would start by telling him no when you are near one another especially if he's biting. But as soon as the barking begins, I would tell him no or move him out of the room into another part of the house until he understands it wont be tolerated.
LabMomHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 AM   #5
michellecox_10
New Around Here

Thanks for the ideas. It doesn't seem to matter if we are showing affection for one another or not. I can simply come home from work and he immediately gets exctied, then the barking begins. It then escalates to jumping on me and trying to bite. We have tried putting him in his crate in another room when he behaves like this, however, not 5 minutes after he comes back out he is at it again!!
Telling him no only seems to feed his energy, and then he becomes more aggressive with me.
I would really love a night where he is calm - one where we can watch the TV in peace!!
michellecox_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #6
LabMomHouston
Been Around A While

Do you greet him when you come in? The Irish we have here does that when hubs comes in from work. I have made him ignore him...seems to help. My brother in laws dogs are the same way....he tells us not to say hello to them when we first come in. That way we dont excite the dogs. When I was in obedience class with my first Lab who is now 3, the trainer suggested using a water bottle. Placing it by the door and when the dog jumps up to squirt him with it. My dog of course would just bite at the water. But he doesnt jump up anymore. Guess it worked
LabMomHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
coffpau
Been Around A While

Hi Michelle cox / and everyone!! I have just written an essay on the site trying to explain my German Shepherds behaviour and you have done it so easily!!!
My dog is exactly the same as yours and I am looking for answers. It is not jealousy, and like yours she starts to get excited and then starts to jump and bite. She does it more with my Wife but when I tell her no she starts on me!!!!

HELP !!!!!
coffpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
poundpuppiesandme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to poundpuppiesandme
Do you exercise your dog regularly? It could be using pent up energy, the only way it knows how. I would recomend a soft muzzle for the biting, it is not safe to leave on without supervision. I had a rotti that tried to bite everyone but me, it was a real issue, for me, I found the soft muzzle completly changed his attitude, he did not enjoy it so he learned to be nice,or be muzzled around company, you would be quite surprised at the change in the dog, they spend so much time focusing on the muzzle they forget what they where doing other wise. Other then that i would advise you to run the dog till he is so tierd he won't care what you and your husband are doing! It may be just what he needs.
poundpuppiesandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Have you ever tried putting him on his side and just staring him down to show dominance? You can gentley scruff his neck and don't break eye contact. I have a cocker spaniel that thinks he is the top dog and it is a constant battle. He has been to so many trainers and obedience classes with no effect but maybe this trick will help you since yours is still a pup. Good luck.
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly