Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Needing attention?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

Needing attention?

So the last two nights, my lil Batman decided to leave us some presents in our living room, on the carpet at night. He did all his duties when we took him out before going to bed..and he didn't do very much, but none the less, it's been a looooooooong time since he has. He didn't have to go that bad since it was barely anything. I am not sure what to think really...

I recently started a new job that is longer hours so I'm not home as much, and my husband has opposite hours of me pretty much. Also, when we took him to the vet the other week, he told us to switch to feeding him twice/day instead of 3 times. A lot of changes going on for him i think.

I think he is lacking the usual amount of attention/play that he usually gets, even though i play with him tons when im home. Do you think he did this for attention? How do we get him to stop if he does it again? We play with him so much and take him out a lot, but seems like me working that few extra hours/day is maybe upsetting him?
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

If you're working later and he's eating later - could be the problem. Not enough time for him to be ready for bed. Just a thought but it could be the change in food too. Merlin does it to me too once in a while. He's just too busy hunting for lizards and frogs to pay attention to business!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Howler
Been Around A While

my charlie used to 'poop in protest' if his routine was changed or he got told off, it was incredibly frustrating. he stopped doing it eventually, the only time he has lrft a present since was when there was a storm and he was too scared of the wind and snuck back inside. hopefully he will adjust to his new routine and stop doing it
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I agree with Howler, he will adjust to the new schedule given time. I would however suggest that you don't limit his outside time to just elimination. Sometimes we do this because we are rushed and the dog doesn't understand the new timeline. Also, some dogs will not eliminate fully if they think that as soon as they do the deed that is the end of playtime/attention. Give him plenty of time and attention both before and after elimination so that he will go when nature calls and on a schedule too. LOL
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Howler
Been Around A While

hehe furbs it sounded like you were describing bense, he has a nice run around and sniffs everything a million times before he will even wee in the mornings, many a time ive stood there watching the clock thinking i will be late for work lol
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
No I doubt it would be because he wants attention. Especially seeing how this is done at night you said? There is no immediate attention thus there is no connection to the soiled carpet and any attention he might get in the morning.

It definitely seems more of what Howler and Furbs have said already, the schedule change. This usually will upset a dog and they will tend to do strange things. It might take a little while to adjust to.

Instead of just letting him out, and right back inside I would suggest that you take him outside for a walk, usually the exercise will encourage him to relieve himself, that being done there will be nothing left for him to soil the carpet with

Would crating be an option for you? Might be a good idea in the mean while.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

He ended up being ok and didn't do it anymore after those 2 nights..phew!
I did take him out on longer walks and have made it a point to play with him more. It has gotten much better and no problems since! thanks for all the advice everyone!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Whoo Hoo ... Batman!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly