Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Wetting the floor

Old 05-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Well, all my dogs are on dry food, and they sleep in my room or in a crate at night...I have no idea why you would want them to have access to water at night when they are sleeping.

If anything wear out the dog, so they will sleep through the night =P A dog that is sleepin in the day or napping all day, will be restless at night.

Crating a dog is not inhumane at ALL, infact it hones in on their natural "den" instinct. Their crate should be a positive thing, a place for refuge and a calm/quiet place to go.

I have a soft crate in my room, medium size, that my cat and dogs go into throughout the day. One hour its the chihuahua, next its the cat and a dachshund in there.

At night I lock up the cat and a dog, doesnt matter if its the longhaired doxie, the chihuahua or all 4 small critters have been known to snuggle together...I dont force them, they see the crate as a dark comforting place to go at night.

I would never give my dogs ice cubes...I see them as a choaking/chip teeth hazard.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDog4U View Post
I have also fed ALL of my dogs "dry food" ... I feed at 7 am and 7 pm but I pull water at 9:30 pm. They dont seem care!!! And they rarely even go to the bowl to look for water after 9:30.

Yes, after eating they need to have some water, but after they quench the thurst, they really dont require more water unless they are reasonably active. (going for a long walk, running and playing hard).

If my dogs continue to pace back and forth to the bowl I will put a few ounces of water in for them, especially if its a hot summer night. But that means that they have to go out an extra time that night.
Totally agree. Instead of pulling water up, I just crate or close the door to my room.
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Labman
Been Around A While

I think some of the instructions are meant for dogs left alone for long periods of time. If you get up, give the dog a dish of kibble, and put it out in a fenced yard and leave for a day, there had better be a good source of water for it.

I took time to flip through my dog guide school puppy raising manual. The people that wrote it are breeding 300 puppies a year and fostering them out for the first year. It instructs us to feed a dry kibble, and crate the puppy when you can't supervise it. It says very little about water and certainly nothing about having it available in the crate. I am in my 20'th year in the program. I have never seen a water dish in use in a crate by anybody else in the program or in the pictures in the manual. 2 years ago, the school furnished me a crate for their puppy one night in a hotel. It didn't come with a water dish. I guess they thought she would make it through the night without water. I guess saying nothing about the water in the crate could mean assuming either case. However, if they expected us to make water available overnight, surely in 20 years I would have heard or seen something. I do think they have mentioned taking the water up at 7 PM for puppies having trouble making it overnight.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
pennycantu
Been Around A While

i pick up my dish at 6pm. the outside dogs get water till i bring them in for the night but the inside dog gets water available until 6 when i bring him outside to potty and then he's good. i started doing this because he was wetting my carpet in the middle of the night. I called my behaviorist/trainer and she suggested removing water at 6 and taking him out at 7pm and 9pm to potty and it seems to be working so far. he doesn't seem to miss the water in the evening either. he's jumped out of bed to go look for it but comes right back and barks at me to pick him up and put him back in bed.
pennycantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
This post turned into a very interesting topic on water. I completely agree with picking up water to help with housebreaking. I know many people that do that for there children when helping them to sleep through the night without accidents. They limit fluids after a certain time. Doesn't seem to be anything cruel about that at all.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #16
pennycantu
Been Around A While

if they are supposed to be sleeping they wouldn't be drinking so i am with the "no it's not cruel" crowd lol! to me it makes sense.
pennycantu is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly