Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » I feel bad, but we had a nice walk

Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I feel bad, but we had a nice walk

So, I've had Jas for 9 months now. And she's been a horrific puller the whole time. I've tried being a tree..no reaction, just more pulling (and she can and will move me). Tried the clicker and treats...she won't take treats outside, she's too amped up. Tried a toy instead..same thing.
I borrowed a prong collar last night from my aunt, and I can't believe the difference! She pulled once, and that was it. It was the first nice walk we've had since she was heavily pregnant. My arm isn't sore. She got to walk further since I had some control over her. She'll get a good walk today, too.
I've never used a prong, and I feel bad that I couldn't get it through her head with positive methods. She's by far the spazziest dog I've ever met. But I love her. And I hope this will help her find a new home if I can actually teach her to walk now.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

I would have to be desperate to try one, but each dog is different. It is possible it is the best solution for you for her. Did you have anybody help fit it? I think the worst horrors with them come with poorly fitted ones. Hardly anything is safe if misused. I think you need enough links in it that it won't tighten up much more once the prongs contact the neck. Before using it much more, I would try to find somebody with experience to check the fit. Nothing beats real experience.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I have had to use a prong collar on 2 of the guide dog pups I raised (pilot dogs told me to use it on them) I agree that making sure it is put on correctly is very important. Most people put it on too loose and too low on the neck. Here is tyhe way it should be put on: http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Maybe it was/is a necessary evil. I love how much you put into this girl....

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Good for you.

I assume shes in her forever home now? :P
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
elsasmom
Been Around A While

If a prong collar is what it takes to make her understand about walking on a leash... then it's better than not being able to learn. With time, she may understand the whole thing and get relaxed enough outside to be able to try some other way. If she's not pulling, she's not hurting herself.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
Good for you.

I assume shes in her forever home now? :P
I wish. She's been at my house over 9 months now. I don't understand. She's cute, smart, and funny. She's a giant cuddlebug. But nobody wants this girl.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsasmom View Post
If a prong collar is what it takes to make her understand about walking on a leash... then it's better than not being able to learn. With time, she may understand the whole thing and get relaxed enough outside to be able to try some other way. If she's not pulling, she's not hurting herself.
This is what I'm hoping for. This girl just has one speed...RUN! She doesn't care if she's on lead or off. I'm working on clicking her for any orientation toward me that isn't jumping on me. She doesn't see the fun in that game yet. Also any calm laying down behavior is being clicked and treated. Getting her out more is helping.

And Jessica and labman, yes, it is fitted properly. I research anything thouroghly before I try it. Thanks. I'm pretty sure I found the site you linked to, Jessica. Small world.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Like I said I wouldnt feel bad some dogs just dont seem to understand positive only methods and when used properly doesnt hurt the dog. The dog we used it on was a sweetie, but nothing worked. We tried all different types of training methods, halti's ect...nothing worked so the head trainer said to get her a prong. After a couple of months she no longer needed it and she is currently a working guide dog, so hey it worked.

I am sure someday the right home will come along for her.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Like I said I wouldnt feel bad some dogs just dont seem to understand positive only methods and when used properly doesnt hurt the dog. The dog we used it on was a sweetie, but nothing worked. We tried all different types of training methods, halti's ect...nothing worked so the head trainer said to get her a prong. After a couple of months she no longer needed it and she is currently a working guide dog, so hey it worked.

I am sure someday the right home will come along for her.
OMG the halti and this dog was terrible. She would either claw her face, or just faceplant and continue walking with her back legs.
We walked for an hour last night. Jas was happy. she and Cerb decided they needed to get the zooms when we were almost home.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly