Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » Southwest Airlines going to the dogs

Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Southwest Airlines going to the dogs

June 17: Southwest Airline's going to the (small) dogs and cats...

For a while now, "pet-LUVing" west coasters with small dogs or cats had to frequently choose between flying economically on a cheap Southwest Airline fare or flying with their pooch since the airline didn't allow pets in their planes.
That's all changing starting June 17th with the airline's new P.A.W.S. (Pets Are Welcome on Southwest) program.
Up to 5 (approximately) carriers that can be stowed under the seat in front will be permitted on each plane with a pet fare of $75 each way and a restriction of 1 carrier per patron (note: the pet carrier will count as a carry-on bag or personal item).
That's great news for a lot of small dogs and cats - and even better news for pet parents is that health certificates or other documents are not requred (sorry veterinarians) and each carrier can contain up to 2 dogs or cats (note: can't have one of each).

See rest of article at:

http://www.examiner.com/x-9260-SF-Pe...-dogs-and-cats
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
They must be trying to keep up with Delta. So far in my research Delta has the best rates and the most hospitible conditions on there planes. They also allow you to fly with a small dog in a carrier under the seat for $50
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Thats cool, but still kinda expensive...
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Furbilator
Been Around A While

It's large dog discrimination! LOL Unfortunately just another reason why I will never fly with my dog. I would never trust them (the airlines) to take care of my furkid. Until I can afford my own plane or the doggie airline becomes available in Canada, Cassie will have to travel via my SUV....can you say roadtrip!
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
I would never trust planes with my dogs either. The dog being Carry-On luggage has actually been part of other airline planes for a while too. But its good to see them catching up.lol.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
k9mania
Administrator

Another airlines specifically for dogs

New airline for the dogs and cats comes to Colo.

Associated Press7:53 PM CDT, July 9, 2009 DENVER - A new airline for dogs and cats is coming to Colorado.

Pet Airways will offer flights across the country starting Tuesday, including Rocky Mountain Airport in Broomfield.

Pets will travel in their own carriers in the main cabin of the planes, not in the cargo hold as with most airlines. But owners aren't allowed on board and must fly separately.

The company says pet attendants will care for the animals in flight. But to prevent pets from getting sick, there won't be any beverage or snack service.

See rest of article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,1031371.story
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
gsdmama
Been Around A While

what about large dogs??? i can't go anywhere unless i drive with them. i would love to take them to colorado to visit friends who have a large 39 acre ranch that is fenced in for their dogs to be safe and not to get lost on the property. one day i will get there and take pics.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
hcromley
Been Around A While

yea it sucks for us large breed dog owners good thing we never go anywhere that requires flying
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

oh nice! that's good to hear! My inlaws live in Utah now and we usually just drive, but for shorter trips, this would be great since southwest flies there. yay!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs