Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » safety belts or crates?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
pizzi
New Around Here

Question safety belts or crates?

I was wondering how people travel distances with their dogs. My dog Pepe is crate trained but I have heard that there are seat belts so they can see out. Have any of you tried them?
pizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Carol
Been Around A While

My Cocker Spaniel Casey has a harness that is for use with the seatbelt in the car. Not everyone has a vehicle large enough for a crate. This harness is soft on the chest area and has a place on the back to thread the seatbelt through. It allows her to lie down on the seat and prevents her from becoming a missile in the event of a collision. They also have harnesses that are heavier and stronger looking for more muscular dogs. I will not allow Casey in a vehicle without this harness.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
PrettyPaws
New Around Here

Harness suits us too. We often take Jovi to wales for the weekend and there isn't enough room for a crate.
PrettyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
shell
Been Around A While

My little dog gets car sick if I use a crate for him. He's fine with the belt because he can still sit up and see all the action outside.
shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
PrettyPaws
New Around Here

I forgot to mention, we stock some lovely soft harnesses which come with a free safety strap for cars.

http://www.prettypawsaccessories.co....T&productid=67
PrettyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
sheltie2007
Site Regular

harnesses

hi, have two sheltie's and have never used a crate or harness, dont like crates at all. we all travelled from scotland to london in car with two dogs on back seat. as soon as car starts moving both my boys lay down they even go to sleep there.
sheltie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
colliecrazy
Been Around A While

My 6 do too . I have thought of investing in a tailgate for safety reasons tho.
colliecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
chrisjonesxx
Site Regular

Either or both

When driving with just one dog, I use a harness linked to the seat belt. The dog can get comfortable and is restrained in the event of a collision.

A few years ago, we relocated with five dogs and we put them all in a very large crate in the back of our estate car (don't know what 'estate' is in American). We than padded the sides with pillows and stuff, so that they would be harmed as little as possible in an impact. They slept all the way on a four hour journey - cuddled together and relaxed.

But I would not put a single dog in a crate - I fear it would be thrown about too much inside the crate if there was an accident.
Chris
chrisjonesxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

Crate

The reason being that she used to travel in a harness but decided one trip to chew through it. It also cost me 400 for a new seat belt.

As I would not dream of traveling with a loose dog in the car for a couple of reasons. 1) a loose Giant Schnauzer would have the impact of a baby Elephant on the back of my head in a collision. 2) if a door or tailgate came open in an impact she would be free to run into the road, probably get run over, or cause another accident. So the crate is my only option. It is exactly the same as the one she sleeps in and is anchored to the load area of the car.
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i use both but i would never drive any where without one or the other, we should always think what happens to ourselves if we crash the same will hapen to our dogs, it is now illeagal for children and adulots not to be restrained any where in the car because it is deamed dangerous this should also be implyed for our animals.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs