Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » Restraining dogs in cars

Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 AM   #11
sandyb
Been Around A While

Yes, mine have harnesses too - it's the only way to go.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #12
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsasmom View Post
This thread makes me think I better go shopping for a car restraint for Elsa
When I first got her, she sat in the passenger seat and never moved around at all. It occurred to me that the seat bag could hit her and kill her so I moved her to the back where she lays on the seat. I was thinking she'd be okay lying there but now I'm rethinking that also.
What type would fit a 37 pound modified Basset build? Any suggestions?

This is what I use on Tigger and Shara when hauling them to classes and such. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16689

As you can see it has a very long full body fleece lined front, and can be adjusted to fit any dog. It has a fast release hook too, which is nice.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
This is what I use on Tigger and Shara when hauling them to classes and such. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16689

As you can see it has a very long full body fleece lined front, and can be adjusted to fit any dog. It has a fast release hook too, which is nice.
Thanks, Shara. I need to order one of these for Elsa. I like Foster and Smith's products and this looks like it would fit my girl.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
Howler
Been Around A While

If both of ours are in the car they go in a travel crate in the boot, bense is happy to travel in there on his own as well but charlie prefers his doggie seatbelt if he is on his own, he is nosy and likes to look around lol.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I tried a seat belt but Cassie just ended up getting tangled up in the belt attached to the bed of my SUV. When I secured it with less of a length she was barely able to move, not good on extended trips. I gave up on the seatbelt and just taught her to lay down directly behind my seat. I think they are a good idea and may save lives but sometimes I think there is a lot of overkill on the safety gear. At what point do we walk around with padding on 'just in case'?

I grew up riding a bike without a helmet without wrist, knee and elbow pads. You learned your limits quickly with a scraped knee. As a kid I slept laying down in the back of the stationwagon with the dog between my brother and I. We road (albeit slowly) on the tailgate of the pick-up as we gathered wood for campfires. Yes, I'm sure there were accidents and people were injured or killed and those injuries could of been prevented, but life and living doesn't come with a guarantee.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
I think they are a good idea and may save lives but sometimes I think there is a lot of overkill on the safety gear. At what point do we walk around with padding on 'just in case'?

I grew up riding a bike without a helmet without wrist, knee and elbow pads. You learned your limits quickly with a scraped knee. As a kid I slept laying down in the back of the stationwagon with the dog between my brother and I. We road (albeit slowly) on the tailgate of the pick-up as we gathered wood for campfires. Yes, I'm sure there were accidents and people were injured or killed and those injuries could of been prevented, but life and living doesn't come with a guarantee.
Hummm, It sounds just like MY childhood. I even got to sleep in the back window of the family '64 Chevy on trips from Iowa to New Jersey ... and this was BEFORE interstate highways. The only intersate roads we traveled were the Ohio and Pennsulvania Turnpikes

Dont get me wrong, I think we've made huge steps in making our lives more safe, but somethings are obvious ... Teaching proper safety practices and Using some common sence can go a lot further sometimes ... and as Comedian Ron White says, "You cant fix stupid".
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #17
Labman
Been Around A While

I agree, the harnesses are a good idea, but I am fairly comfortable with my dog in the passenger's foot well.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #18
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDog4U View Post
Hummm, It sounds just like MY childhood. I even got to sleep in the back window of the family '64 Chevy on trips from Iowa to New Jersey ... and this was BEFORE interstate highways. The only intersate roads we traveled were the Ohio and Pennsulvania Turnpikes

Dont get me wrong, I think we've made huge steps in making our lives more safe, but somethings are obvious ... Teaching proper safety practices and Using some common sence can go a lot further sometimes ... and as Comedian Ron White says, "You cant fix stupid".
Well, thanks for the 'stupid' comment. I'll let that go as a poor choice of pointed quotes.

However I still think common sense doesn't prevail as that 60lbs of luggage left unrestrained in the back of the vehicle can also become a killing projectile too - will we need a seatbelt for it now too, how about the 20lb purse beside most females...where does it end?

If I'm taken out by my flying pooch, I'll be happy to say for certainty...Life's a bitch and then you die. LOL
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
Well, thanks for the 'stupid' comment. I'll let that go as a poor choice of pointed quotes.

However I still think common sense doesn't prevail as that 60lbs of luggage left unrestrained in the back of the vehicle can also become a killing projectile too - will we need a seatbelt for it now too, how about the 20lb purse beside most females...where does it end?

If I'm taken out by my flying pooch, I'll be happy to say for certainty...Life's a bitch and then you die. LOL
Sorry Furbs, The quote wasnt meant that way!! It was meant to make the point that many ppl dont use thier common sence and b/c of that they get hurt for no good reason!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs