Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » Vacation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,286
Question Vacation

How many of you take your dogs w/you?
How many of you board your dog at the vets? Or at a nice boarding facility?
How many of you can't enjoy your vacation from worrying about your dogs?
How many of you just DON'T go on vacation because of your dogs?
Lastly, what are the "extras" you leave w/your dog while boarding them?
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
starry8740
Been Around A While
 
starry8740's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,373
Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogscrzy4ball View Post
How many of you take your dogs w/you?
How many of you board your dog at the vets? Or at a nice boarding facility?
How many of you can't enjoy your vacation from worrying about your dogs?
How many of you just DON'T go on vacation because of your dogs?
Lastly, what are the "extras" you leave w/your dog while boarding them?
Well, we do not go on vacation because Star has "seperation from the house anxiety" and we left one time and we were just gonna be done until 12 am and my grandma watched him and he wouldn't eat, all he did was bark. So we never go on vacation because of him, I find it sad to see dogs in kennels while people go away. You cannot trust people in this world anymore and I would HATE to come back and find out something happened to my dog because they couldn't take proper care of his special needs like persay they let him ouside without a leash expeting all dogs to know how to be without leash when my dog is really bad with being off leash outside he will run off if he sees a car or human. Or if a dog bit my dog, I don't think I wanna take that risk. He is my baby and I want to keep him that way.

I doubt with the price of GAS that people won't be going on many vactions. I herd its gonna go to about 4 dollars in the fall. If I was to go on vaction, my dog would go with me!
~Star my eskie/golden mix~



www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever


When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Shells_k
Been Around A While
 
Shells_k's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogscrzy4ball View Post
How many of you take your dogs w/you?
How many of you board your dog at the vets? Or at a nice boarding facility?
How many of you can't enjoy your vacation from worrying about your dogs?
How many of you just DON'T go on vacation because of your dogs?
Lastly, what are the "extras" you leave w/your dog while boarding them?
Barely take vacations but when we do we dont take the dogs. I would LOVE to though!

When we do go, we board Sugar as she can handle it. jessie, because of the Addisons/seperation anxiety/risk of Addisons crisis from stress I leave her with my sister who she loves to death.

I have a hard time enjoying vacation as *I* get seperation anxiety being away from Jessie wondering if shes okay because she goes on hunger strikes when I am not around!

Okay, above I said we barely take vacations, the main reason IS I dont want to be seperated from the dogs!!

When we board Sugar I leave a sweatshirt with my perfume on it with her, her piggy, and her bed that she has at home.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,286
We haven't gone on vacation since we first got married. Emma stayed w/my mom and I called at least 3 times a day to check on her. My husband said, good lord Mary she's w/your mom! So w/the horses, dogs, cats etc. we really couldn't go if we wanted to, besides w/the kids being so young (4 and 2) it probably wouldn't be much of a vacation for me . I don't think I could board my dogs w/the vet or someone I really didn't know. They would probably do better then I would. After all there's nobody who knows them quite like I do, RIGHT?
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry8740 View Post
Well, we do not go on vacation because Star has "seperation from the house anxiety" and we left one time and we were just gonna be done until 12 am and my grandma watched him and he wouldn't eat, all he did was bark. So we never go on vacation because of him, I find it sad to see dogs in kennels while people go away. You cannot trust people in this world anymore and I would HATE to come back and find out something happened to my dog because they couldn't take proper care of his special needs like persay they let him ouside without a leash expeting all dogs to know how to be without leash when my dog is really bad with being off leash outside he will run off if he sees a car or human. Or if a dog bit my dog, I don't think I wanna take that risk. He is my baby and I want to keep him that way.

I doubt with the price of GAS that people won't be going on many vactions. I herd its gonna go to about 4 dollars in the fall. If I was to go on vaction, my dog would go with me!
We're already at $4 a gallon! I think I'm going to have to hook up the horse and buggy, LOL! I wonder how long it would take me to get to work, it's normally a 25min. drive? That reminds me of the seinfeld episode where kramer fed the horse beenie weenies and the horse tooted something awful! My boxer would give the horse a run for it's money in that department!!!!!
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
bulldogger_1
Banned

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SCOTLAND
Posts: 59
here in uk alot of people take their dogs with them on vacation. holiday. reason being the various strains of kennel cough they seem to pick up even after going to the expense of vacinations to prevent it.. me myself i take my dogs with me on holiday. not that i go far because trying to handle 3 big bulldogs can be stressful when your trying to carry your own luggage.. now i have 5 to take with me. thinking this year i will just get on a train to the country and go hiking along the way for 2 weeks.. who knows i might just like it and forget my way back home..lol
bulldogger_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Danielle
Been Around A While
 
Danielle's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogscrzy4ball View Post
We haven't gone on vacation since we first got married. Emma stayed w/my mom and I called at least 3 times a day to check on her. My husband said, good lord Mary she's w/your mom! So w/the horses, dogs, cats etc. we really couldn't go if we wanted to, besides w/the kids being so young (4 and 2) it probably wouldn't be much of a vacation for me . I don't think I could board my dogs w/the vet or someone I really didn't know. They would probably do better then I would. After all there's nobody who knows them quite like I do, RIGHT?
Good God girl!!! You and your man need a holiday! Even a dirty weekend away would be good! LOL! Teehehe! Wink wink!

I feel so guilty, I put mine into kennels if I go away....am I a bad mummy??? LOL! Nah, they have fun there, we know the owners of the place (I groom their dogs) and they pay special attention to my little ones.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
ann_hawes
Been Around A While
 
ann_hawes's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kokomo, Indiana USA
Posts: 1,949
I can take 2 or 3 of my dogs at one time on short trips with me, such as overnight camping.
Longer times away from home occur, but either myself or my husband stay at home with the dogs while the other goes.
I would love to take all of mine at once, but I'd have to rent a UHaul!
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Danielle
Been Around A While
 
Danielle's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,497
I take Abbi camping with me, but I really cant imagine Sophie roughing it, sleeping in a tent and going 4X4ing in my rig! LOL! Abbi loves it tho!
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
turfgirl
Been Around A While
 
turfgirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
I took my first vacation is 25 years 2 years ago, went to the Dominican Republic. I could not put Giz in a kennell I just didn't like the thought of him being in a cage after he has been with me 24/7 for l4 years. I got a friend of mine whom Giz loved to take him & I paid him the same as I would have the kennel. I missed him so much that I called home at least twice a day to make sure he was ok. The first thing I thought of when the plane landed was getting home to my baby. I am not sure if I truly enjoyed the vacation as much as I would have if I could have taken him with me.
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 AM.