Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Going K9 Green » we are stuck

Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Angry we are stuck

when we first bought our home the weeds in the side yard were 6' tall. then we put in grass seeds, well that did not work out to well. then joey came. we decided to do st. augustine sod suggested by our gardener $2000 and now dirt we have a mess. we got estimates up to $3500 to $4000 from putting in cement to pavers.

i want to put in something nice for the dogs. i keep seeing advertisements for easy turf. it looks nice and sounds great for the dogs. and it sounds like something to save on to. no more watering, cutting, fertilizing etc....

i don't want it to rain cause what we have to do now is take the dogs out on a leash for them to do their business and then they come in and we have to dry them off with towels, due to the mudd. it is such a mess. and also when they go out to play the dirt really flies and you can now see the dirt on the leaves of the trees in our yard and the neighbors.

we did put down astro turf, you know the stuff sold in lowe's or home depot, well that did not last very long

so the total amount spent so far is 5000 to keep the dirt out.

the sided yard is about 20 x 80. my plan is to have a shade kennel for the dogs and fake trees around the yard and maybe even a table and chairs for us to sit and watch them run and play.

and the clean up will be just as easy.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
sarap
Been Around A While

I don't know about the turf, but I know what you mean about the mud. My backyard has no grass and I have many muddy paw prints. I hope you find somthing that works and that will last.
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
zorasdad
Been Around A While

Use shredded ceder mulch it mats down nice. I put 2 inches in my yard and it lasts for the year
a working dog is a happy dog
zorasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
The cedar is a great idea, but try clover. It is very strong and keeps reproducing all year. I have customers who ask me to stay away from their clover with weed control. You should be able to buy the seed at any garden centre. I would suggest just raking the soil you have now and overseeding. Use a starter fertilizer very low in nitrogen and water at least once a day. It will stay green and does not need to be cut much. Good luck Susan
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgirl View Post
The cedar is a great idea, but try clover. It is very strong and keeps reproducing all year. I have customers who ask me to stay away from their clover with weed control. You should be able to buy the seed at any garden centre. I would suggest just raking the soil you have now and overseeding. Use a starter fertilizer very low in nitrogen and water at least once a day. It will stay green and does not need to be cut much. Good luck Susan
I like this idea! Besides Turf is an expert on this
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

St. Augustine stinks! Too much rain and it dies---too little rain and it dies! I tried it once and went back to Bahia. I have to re-seed every year but it's working for me in Florida. New developments are no longer allowed to sod with St. Augustine here cause the stuff is sooo needy! In fact my neighbor who moved in 3 years ago had St. Augustine, lost it, re-sodded with the same, lost it. Now has Bahia and it looks good!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorasdad View Post
Use shredded ceder mulch it mats down nice. I put 2 inches in my yard and it lasts for the year

do your dogs eat the mulch????
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
St. Augustine stinks! Too much rain and it dies---too little rain and it dies! I tried it once and went back to Bahia. I have to re-seed every year but it's working for me in Florida. New developments are no longer allowed to sod with St. Augustine here cause the stuff is sooo needy! In fact my neighbor who moved in 3 years ago had St. Augustine, lost it, re-sodded with the same, lost it. Now has Bahia and it looks good!

we are so mad that we spent a lot of money 5,000 dollars trying to have grass and nothing worked.

what is bahia????
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
fakegrassman
New Around Here

Synthetic Grass

Hi-

Your problem is easy to solve.

You need synthetic landscape grass from SYNLawn. By the way, Lowe's doesn't sell AstroTurf- they may sell indoor outdoor carpeting like Home Depot- but that is a totally different animal than synthetic grass. Lowe's does sell SYNLawn, and that is the leading brand and manufacturer of synthetic landscape grass in the nation.

You mentioned the Easy Turf ads- that's artificial turf for football fields - filled with little black crumbs of rubber tires and sand- not something that was originally designed for dogs. Besides, you can buy similar products for far less- however, what you want is synthetic landscape grass- it's made for dogs- eliminates the mud and dusty paw problem, looks and feels incredible and makes mowing and watering go away.

Dogs love it- and you can get it locally from SYNLawn0 the largest manufacturer in the country of synthetic landscape grass, putting green surfaces, etc.

There's no real grass product that solves the dog problem in all cases- your soil, your dog's behavior, your dog's urine, your sun conditions, and a a host of other variables make the end-all-be-all solution a virtual impossibility,

Go to www.synlawn.com and find the location near you for a free consultation.
fakegrassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Try pea gravel or a compactable stone which will not track into your house. Consider zero-scaping the yard to reduce water useage and reduce the environmental impact that natural grass and (production of) artificial grasses will create. I teach my dogs to wipe their paws (go down the stairs or sit until Mommy wipes their paws) before they are allowed into the main part of the house. Maybe that is something you could try to reduce the dirt entering into the house.

Sorry, I couldn't help further but I'm in the prairies where the is nothing BUT grass. LOL
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Going K9 Green