Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs » Tire Tigger or Die Trying

Old 09-09-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Tire Tigger or Die Trying

OKAY I cannot tire this pup out...we spent all day throwing the frisbee and he wouldnt chill out...when we thought he was tired, he came in the house so hyped up we had to take him out and throw it more....and more....then i went to walmart and bought a GIGANTIC dog bone from Dingos...and put him in his crate...he ate the whole thing (even after his meal time) and then I let him out and OMG hes like on doggy crack or something....
he must be getting it from the neighborhood dogs...I knew they were up to no good....

I dont know what to do...geeze how much can he run....its 10pm and I am gonna go run him some more...omggggggggggggggg.....hes crazy
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 AM   #2
Pianist
New Around Here

Send a message via MSN to Pianist Send a message via Yahoo to Pianist
Wow... just... wow... Have you tried making him run in circles constantly somehow? Running in circles works the body out more than running straight.
Pianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

No hes too young to be doing anything crazy like that, plus I think thats a bad habit to start...since hes a border collie he is subject to hip displacia till hes about 1 so no crazy strains on his hips.

Hes exhausting me and my parents, and we have a somewhat large backyard...I had been walking him up to the soccer fields just 1 block down the street and running him, but then when I come home hes rested up from the walk and is ready to go again....

lol
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Sorry, no advice, but I do wish you the best of luck. I understand that the breed loves to work, well I guess you have your work cut out for YOU lol Susan and in 3 days Lexcee
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i would play games that use his brain like hiding something and getting him to find it do lots of training if he is full of energy teach tricks put them to music and corigraph some dances chase games just release endorphines and collies will keep going till they drop also i would check his diet as high protien can make dogs hyper active i know he is a pup but if still on puppy food try juniour or adult with a lower protien also check for enumbers feed with colouring can also make them hyper. hope it helps
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

I agree with dobie! You can excercise him first to try and tire out his body, but then I'd do some training or something, that require him to use his brain, and then, at the end, i'd do games like dobe said, that excerise both body and mind..

And keep in mind, he's just a pup..they have never ending energy. My Gizmo doesn't ever wanna stop either, only on the nights that he goes to the offleash park and he gets to rigorously play with the other dogs..for some reason, that really tires him out. Do you have any of those?

Maybe a kong in the crate would do him good too..that usually will occupy a pup for a loooong time..

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
hi Shara...one of the tricks i found useful with hyper Lucy was "settle".
each time i caught her laying quietly either next to me or in her bed i would say "settle" and give her a treat. it took about 2 weeks but she finally got the message that sometimes mum cant play and its a good thing to go and chill out for a bit. she now goes and lays quietly somewhere on command "settle" which is handy if i am trying to work on the laptop or cook or whatever. hope this helps

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Tuckerdad
Been Around A While

What about agility or hearding? That would work both his mind and body.
Tuckerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobetaztic View Post
i would play games that use his brain like hiding something and getting him to find it do lots of training if he is full of energy teach tricks put them to music and corigraph some dances chase games just release endorphines and collies will keep going till they drop also i would check his diet as high protien can make dogs hyper active i know he is a pup but if still on puppy food try juniour or adult with a lower protien also check for enumbers feed with colouring can also make them hyper. hope it helps

Oh my...I have him on very high protine diet...100% canned meat with Flint River Ranch food...thats human grade fish and potatoe..I mean hes extreamly hyper, but I dont know what else to give him thats GOOD but yet not so high in protine haha....This stuff is formulated for puppy/adult so I dont know what to do =(
~Meredith
Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysnewmum View Post
hi Shara...one of the tricks i found useful with hyper Lucy was "settle".
each time i caught her laying quietly either next to me or in her bed i would say "settle" and give her a treat. it took about 2 weeks but she finally got the message that sometimes mum cant play and its a good thing to go and chill out for a bit. she now goes and lays quietly somewhere on command "settle" which is handy if i am trying to work on the laptop or cook or whatever. hope this helps

Thats very neat...Smart Lucy!!!! <huggles> He knows down and stay so I try to get him to do that, he cant stay down yet..hes too hyper. lol he might stay for 30 seconds but then he has to get a toy orsomething he just CANT stand it!!! Hes still a puppy so I guess its catching up to me, when he was just a few weeks old he was great up till now, I guess we going through terrible 6 months? Is that possible :P LOL
~Meredith

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs