Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » Restraining dogs in cars

Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Restraining dogs in cars

Safety first, Fido: Dog poking head through car window is dangerous

BY Jay Koblenz

Tongue flailing, ears pushed back by the wind and its tail wagging happily. Driving down the highway with a shaggy dog poking its head out the car window is an iconic American image.
However, like the 70-mph lap-child, itís an image that should be relegated to times gone by. People who would never consider Junior riding in anything less secure than a state-of-the-art child seat will still allow a 75-pound dog to roam free at highway speeds within a carís passenger compartment.
Properly securing a pet while riding inside a moving vehicle not only makes it a safer ride for an animal, it helps keep the interior clean and avoids potentially hazardous situations. It may be exciting to see a flying squirrel or flying fish in the wild, but within the confines of an automobile, a soaring schnauzer is a danger to both man and beast.
According to pet safety Web site barkbuckleup.com, when driving 35 mph, a 60-pound unrestrained dog can cause an impact of 2,700 pounds, slamming into a car seat, windshield or passenger. Keeping the animal restrained is the first step toward the comfort and well-being of all living things within your automobile.

k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Totally agree that when traveling with animals they need to be restrained. When I got Tigger, my parents wanted to get seat belt harnesses because of his size, if he went flying it would hurt himself, and I would hate to think what would happen if we got into a serious wreck. Now even Shara has a seatbelt harness, and it keeps her in a secure place. Shara had spur of the moments where she would leap down to the floorboard where the gas/break pedels are and wanted to stay down there. Not cool.

So for the safty of both owners and the dogs they travel with, I definatly agree in securing them somehow.

And kinda off subject but it terrifys me when I see cow dogs on the back of farmers trucks going down the highway...=.=
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Totally agree, Lexcee has a car seat so she can be harnessed in and sits in the front seat high enough to look out the window. She wears her harness and it in turn is attached to the car seat. She just loves it and most of all I do not have to worry about her jumping around all over the place possibly causing me to have an accident. It is one of the best investments I have made for my little princess. It did not cost that much either lol. Susan
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgirl View Post
Totally agree, Lexcee has a car seat so she can be harnessed in and sits in the front seat high enough to look out the window. She wears her harness and it in turn is attached to the car seat. She just loves it and most of all I do not have to worry about her jumping around all over the place possibly causing me to have an accident. It is one of the best investments I have made for my little princess. It did not cost that much either lol. Susan

Amen sister! I think those car booster seats are adorable for lil dogs, I wish I gotten one for Shara, but she already has a full body car seat harness. My Mom still wants her to have one...as if shes not spoiled enough already...LOL
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

All 3 of mine are restrained while in the car. I was in a wreck with Cerb in the car, and it saved his life. I'm sure without it he would've flown right out of the car.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

I don't restrain my dogs in the car. I do keep them in the footwell of the car where there is nowhere for them to go in an impact.

I keep complaining about the schools giving us runts. Tux is a lean 60 pounds at 11 months. My wife says if they ever give us a bigger dog, she will do more of the driving and I can share my leg room with the dog.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Another reason I like having the dogs restrained is that if I am in an accident, and paramedics have to get me out of the car, my dogs can't get out of the car to be hit in the road, and the paramedics don't have to worry about dogs biting them while trying to help me.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Help

This thread makes me think I better go shopping for a car restraint for Elsa
When I first got her, she sat in the passenger seat and never moved around at all. It occurred to me that the seat bag could hit her and kill her so I moved her to the back where she lays on the seat. I was thinking she'd be okay lying there but now I'm rethinking that also.
What type would fit a 37 pound modified Basset build? Any suggestions?
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Labman
Been Around A While

I forgot to mention,we do keep the dog on leash. That helps control if something goes wrong. Also saves finding the leash at the end of the trip.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Danielle
Been Around A While

My fur-kids have doggy seatbelts. They travel in the far back of my 4x4 in the storage space. Plenty of room back there and nice flat floor for them with a blanket to keep it soft. Always restrained though, wouldnt risk it with my own child, so I wont risk it with my dogs.

Regardless, a dog can be a lethal projectile in a car accident, so I wouldnt want to endanger others around me. Methinks its actually law over here now to keep ur pup restrained in the car. I might check that one out.....
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs