Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » Finding Hotels that take Dogs

Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Finding Hotels that take Dogs

I haven't had a need for a hotel that takes dogs recenty, but when I needed to when he was only 3 months old, it was very difficult finding hotels that would take him. I went on the internet and at least 4 hotels' websites stated they took dogs, but when I called, they said they didn't. And trying to use Priceline.com or Hotels.com don't indicate they take dogs, and you have to take your chances and book your room, call them and hope they take dogs. Hotels that take dogs, will under 25 lbs., which my dog is well under that weight, so not a problem there. What is the best way to find a hotel that takes dogs, find a hotel and ask? My son plays on a traveling sports team and one of his teammates has two pitbulls that they take everywhere with them. I asked how they found hotels that took dogs. The mom said there are quite a few that do and she said she normally asks and often times you just have to pay a fee to have dogs. She did say she never says she has two dogs, that they are pitbulls, and over 25 lbs. I told her I have never been successful fnding a hotel and I would need to get with her on the one's that do. When I did find a hotel the one time I needed it, it was not the best hotel, not in the best location, and I did fear my safety.
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Talking

I personally have not needed one, but when when I was growing up I used to travel with my parents a lot, and a couple of times I remember them just sneaking our Brittney and a mixed lab into motels. My dad would just accidently on purpose forget to tell them at check in about the dogs. We never got caught! Mom would go shhhh every time the dogs even looked like they thaught about a sound. Looking back on it, it was funny. We were sneaking around the back of the building walking them to use the bathroom. But, we never really had normal vacations anyway. My family was always the Chevy Chase type when it came to traveling!
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
At Universal Studios theme park they had a hotel that catered to dogs. For a fee you could have staff members come and walk your dog while you were at the park. They also gave you toys and treats for your pet. The morning we left I saw at least five dogs with their owners leaving the hotel. I thought what a great service. I would just call around. I also think that hotels in the tourist areas are more likely to cater to pets. Let us know how you make out.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Im under the impression that all of the Motel 6 locations allow pets. I know that the two in my area do, and I friend of mine told me that he says with them all the time b/c they take pets.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonFowner View Post
I haven't had a need for a hotel that takes dogs recenty, but when I needed to when he was only 3 months old, it was very difficult finding hotels that would take him. I went on the internet and at least 4 hotels' websites stated they took dogs, but when I called, they said they didn't. And trying to use Priceline.com or Hotels.com don't indicate they take dogs, and you have to take your chances and book your room, call them and hope they take dogs. Hotels that take dogs, will under 25 lbs., which my dog is well under that weight, so not a problem there. What is the best way to find a hotel that takes dogs, find a hotel and ask? My son plays on a traveling sports team and one of his teammates has two pitbulls that they take everywhere with them. I asked how they found hotels that took dogs. The mom said there are quite a few that do and she said she normally asks and often times you just have to pay a fee to have dogs. She did say she never says she has two dogs, that they are pitbulls, and over 25 lbs. I told her I have never been successful fnding a hotel and I would need to get with her on the one's that do. When I did find a hotel the one time I needed it, it was not the best hotel, not in the best location, and I did fear my safety.

Where are you going? I am going to Florida in June and there are Tons to choose from Just do a Google search for "Pet friendly Hotels"
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
KatherineI
Been Around A While

All LaQuinta locations allow pets. When we moved to WA from NY, I mapped out our travel route and found a LaQuinta for every night stop, and each one accepted dogs, at NO extra charge. LaQuinta's are, in my experience, very clean, very nice hotels. I don't know what they're policy is in regards to leaving the dog alone in a room, as I never had to worry about that.

And yes, my understanding is that all Motel 6's allow pets as well.
KatherineI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
I had to call around for my upcoming vacation, make sure you ask "Can the dog be left alone crated" A lot of hotels will say "'No dogs left unattended". I found a smaller chain to stay at. They allow dogs to stay unattended, but must be crated. I am placing a "Do not disturb" sign in their anyways when we leave them there. I am a little fearful of someone stealing them.
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Great advice everyone, and I was made recently aware that La Quinta accepted dogs. When we were there, we were bummed out to see all kinds of dogs there, but again, when I did search on "Pet Friendly Hotels", it did not come up???? I had to pay for two hotels once because where my daughter had to be for some event didn't take dogs, so I had to get a cheapy hotel a couple blocks down just for my doggie. I was happy to do it as I would do anything for him. To answer a previous question, I am not going anywhere at the moment...just was trying to get some direction as to how to go about finding a hotel in the event I need to again. I think what we will be doing this summer is a camping trip in which I'd love to take our dog...but what about bears???!!! Yikes!!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
k9mania
Administrator

The hotel industry in general has become much more open to dogs. More and more people are traveling with them and baby boomers have made them their kids. I know that when we do flyball in other cities it is never hard to find a hotel. Some charge a $5-$25 dog fee. I have 3 borders and it is pretty easy to find one. If you think about all the dog sport competitors on every weekend, it is in the best interest of the hotels at this point.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

When Southern California had the Wildfires in Oct. 07, many families had to evacuate their homes and many lost them. A lot of them had to seek temporary housing in hotels, that typically did not accept pets, but in this situation, many had to change their policy to accomdate the exodus of families with pets....and the hotels survived too!

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs