Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs » Vacation

Old 05-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #21
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shells_k View Post
Hell, I'll take $4 a gallon at this point!! We are at $4.17 right now, Chicago has the reported highest gas prices in the nation
You should move down here w/me in the sticks!! I'll have to put up a new pic of CJ, he's growing so fast. I can't downsize to a car because the kids and 3 dogs go to work w/me every work day. I don't see how I could squeeze them into a little bug or something.
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #22
molliesmum
Been Around A While

I would never put Molly in a kennel because she freaked out when we took her back to the dogs home to tell them we were keeping her.
We haven't been abroad since we got her. We have a caravan so we go to the lakes and places that she can come with us.
If I did go abroad, I have to grown up sons that STILL live at home,{OMG when do they leave} so she would be happy with them.
She has opened up a new world to us.

Maria. x
molliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #23
CorgiMom
New Around Here

Years ago I decided it just wasn't worth it to me to leave pets behind while we went away. I was heartbroken and worried entire time, so no fun there. Since neither of us are crazy about flying anyway, we purchased a travel trailer and began traveling everywhere with our entire crew. We have upgraded a few times over the years and now have a 32' motorhome with 2 slide outs. When we're parked and everthing is open, it's more than comfortable for the 2 humans (me & my husband), our 2 corgis and our Maine Coon cat. The cat and 9 yr. old corgi began traveling with us @ 3 mos. old. Have never had a problem. They've been to San Antonio, TX at least 10 times, Florida numerous times, New Mexico, Arizonia, Upper Penisula of Michigan, Niagara Falls (U.S. and Canadian side) and everywhere in between. The cat has some initial anxiety for the first hour or so, but after that acts perfectly normal and even watches out the windows. The dogs love traveling! My 1 1/2 yr. old took her first trip with us when we picked her up @ 7 weeks in VA. She took right to it. So, both dogs actually were being house trained at different times while traveling. They are so excited to be new places and meet new friends (and their people). They have perfect manners in campgrounds and we're always careful to follow rules. I do take a lot of care in taking everything for their comfort - beds, food, toys, medical records, first aid, treats and bottled water. I don't let them drink from any local water supplies since I can't be sure what chemicals or additives local water companies may add and I don't want any gastric problems from that.

I have used special cooling mats though when traveling through hot climates.
CorgiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
hcromley
Been Around A While

we tak stoli if not we call my mom and she babysits she has a huge farm and he loves it
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #25
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
last summer we went camping with lucy and had a blast....

we bought a four man tent with two inner pods...hubby and i shared one and lucy had the other with her dog bed and toys in it. we were lucky enough to find a pub by a river that let us camp in their beer garden and we spent a great afternoon walking by the river watching the boats. we had lunch in the beer garden and lucy had her own doggie dinner of chicken, biscuits, a bowl of water and a chewy bone made up by the pub owner. it was fabulous and so much better than worrying if she was ok in the kennels.

i never kennelled my Zack either...wherever the family went he went. there are many hotels and camp sites that are becoming increasingly dog friendly here in the uk....indeed in the back of your dog magazine there are usually two pages dedicated to owners of dog friendly holiday establishments.

owning a dog doesnt mean holidays are out...they just need rethinking and a whole new experience awaits those of you who are willing to give them a try

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 AM   #26
k9mania
Administrator

I take my dogs whenever I can. 2 years ago the 4 dogs, 2 friends, and I went up the CA coast to WA in my motorhome. We had a great time. The dogs go with me whenever I take the motorhome. The two older dogs and I used to go tent camping together all the time. My dogs go to a kennel that when I first moved here kept them until I found a place to live. They let me have them during the day and I would bring them at night. Almost 9 years later, when we get off the freeway all 5 dogs start getting excited and when we get in the driveway they are barking their heads off. I just open the car door and they run into the kennel. Yes, I do worry about them but there are times where they would not be as happy being with me as they would at the kennel. I do not want someone else to be responsible for them in case they got loose or something. They are more nervous at home when I have my son take care of them when I go for weeks than at the kennel.

We were trying to plan a canoe trip up in Canada with 2 or 3 of the dogs. I also want to go up the Alaska Hwy with the dogs too. Years ago, we went kayaking in one of the Canadian recreational water parks and a good bunch of Canadians had their dogs. I was impressed.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #27
elsasmom
Been Around A While

My husband and I don't go on any trip that Elsa June can't come along. His family are not "dog people" but a couple of his nieces are so we stay with them when we spend a Holiday with his family. My family are all animal lovers so Elsa is welcome and expected at their house. Sometimes I take a trip alone and my husband stays home with our dog and cats. Or visa versa. I'm hoping to go to Cameroon next year with friends and my husband will doggie sit. If I go, I'll miss Elsa terribly for 2 weeks (oh yeah and my husband also)
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #28
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

My dogs go everywhere with me.

The way I see it, is if they're not welcomed, then neither am I.

Gizmo even goes clothes shopping at KOHLS with me!!!

The only place I won't bring them is a grocery store, cuz that's just not sanitary.

We choose dog friendly hotels and campgrounds..in areas that have local dog parks etc.

They're my babies.

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
sarap
Been Around A While

Hee Hee Elsasmom, do you find you miss the dogs more than people? I know when my husband is away for a night, I usually have a good time but if I have to leave my dogs for a night, I cry.
Dogs are people too!
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #30
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarap View Post
Hee Hee Elsasmom, do you find you miss the dogs more than people? I know when my husband is away for a night, I usually have a good time but if I have to leave my dogs for a night, I cry.
You got it! When I went to England for 2 weeks in 2003, I only had 4 cats and a husband at home. I called daily and asked my husband to hold the phone to Moses' ear so I could talk to him.(Moses was my all time favorite feline of my life) I'd coo into the phone, "mommy misses you" and other sugary ditties.

It'll be worse if I go away and leave my dawg!
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Traveling with Dogs