Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training » quality time

Old 10-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

quality time

Does anyone else here use vacation time just to spend time with their dogs?

Audrey needs quality time. Baloo can always use it too.

Anyway, I have a four day weekend to work on issues with my new girl. Tomorrow she will have been here one month, and although we've made tons of progress in some areas, we've made little in others, simply because my head is too full of work junk when I come home at the end of the day.
Audrey prefers to greet me by jumping up and nipping and/or tugging at my clothes. So far I've made a little progress simply by ignoring bad behavior and rewarding the good. The biggest hurdle is when I have my hands full, carrying things into the house when I come home. I've planned 5 short excursions each day for the next four days. And I'll be able to focus entirely on her reaction to me coming through the gate.

I've spent some time this morning looking at videos of Collies and Border Collies play fighting. Either no one is posting the really rough stuff, or she's still way over the top. She takes Baloo down (yes, he lets her), then grabs legs, ears or skin at the throat and pulls or shakes whatever she gets ahold of. I've found a few small skin tears the day after, but not as many as I really expect to find. He rarely corrects her, which I'm sure is part of the problem. She's definitely playing, as her body posture is all about that, and most "attacks" are an attempt to get him to chase her. That's another issue. He's nowhere near as fast (makes you think of a donkey at a horse race) and nowhere near as agile. I need to remove obstacles from my yard, put up extra lawn chairs, move the grill, etc., as they have been slammed into by Baloo and I don't want him to get hurt by them. I can't move trees though, and he's also clipped a few of them. Audrey seems to KNOW what he can and can't do and sets him up.

She also shops in my house for things to rip apart, like socks, washcloths, etc. She occasionally finds these things. We're going shopping for toys today, but I have to find things that are Rottie friendly as well as Collie friendly. She's gotten the concept of tugging (finally!) so I think that will be an easy toy to find, but smaller chewy type toys will be the issue. Can't do food related toys like bones just yet as she is still working through food aggression and making HUGE progress. I don't want to take the chance of going backward on that one. Very little ball drive. She'll chase something that moves but loses interest instantly when it stops moving. I'm trying to understand and learn more about my dog.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

We had great plans over Labor Day. We went to Pittsburgh to visit our son. We didn't have our plans finalized, but Sydney had been poorly socialized, and we knew there were all sorts of stuff including a Pirates game to take her to. Saturday went well with crowds and fireworks on the river. Sunday morning we inflicted a set of terrazzo steps on her.

After church, I asked my son if there was a hospital near by. I spent the next 4 days at the Pitt Med Center having cancer tumors removed from my bladder. I was able to take her to my high school class' 50'th reunion the next Saturday.

It is not so much we do things for the puppy, but just take it along were ever we go. If our puppy isn't welcome, don't expect us.

A couple weekends a year we do travel with the puppy, a convention and the puppy's family reunion.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

She picked out a fleece tug toy, and I grabbed this cool little kong shaped like a vase that you put treats in. Very difficult to work them out of the several openings that they will fit through. She's fascinated with that one and even Baloo couldn't destroy it. I was worried about the food in it part but she seems okay with Baloo sniffing at it. So far. I guess that one will need to be supervised for awhile! My returns from short outings are working wonders. I just stand still until she has all four feet on the floor and wait her out. She's getting it faster with this frequent repeat lesson.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

I've been thinking my own self that my dogs just NEED me to sit on the floor and play with them. Too much time spent trying to put my yard back together after 2 years of freeze, family histrionics, and general malaise. ONE WHOLE day needs to just be on the floor and playing with dogs feeling the energizing effects of oncoming winter. Bacon and eggs for the babies tomorrow and some time just playing...
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

sounds good. you know you won't regret it!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

What is more relaxing than brushing your dog?
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Ann, i think the multiple short trips are a great idea. The reps will help set the training. I've done this for years when training.

To answer your question... Yes. I call "Taking a day off with your dog" a "Mental Health Day"!!! It is just as important for your dog as it is for you. I recently wrote an article about it on my blog. Here is a link if you are interested. (http://iowadogtrust.wordpress.com/20...with-your-dog/ )
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

The first and second time I came home she jumped up. The third time she stopped herself in mid-jump and went back down. the 4th time she was perfect. We'll see how well that holds today!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training