Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » submissive rolling over and trembling

Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
hayu
Site Regular

submissive rolling over and trembling

I recently went to the pound to get a new dog. The dog was picked up off the street 2 1/2 weeks ago. He is a sweet dog even though he has been starved and mistreated. When I scolded him for trying to wet on a chair he rolled over and trembled. I showed him how to use the doggy door with the help of our other dog he has caught on quickly.

The problem is if you scold him or say no he rolls over and trembles and sometimes urinates. How do I get him to be confident and happy? He won't eat dog treats so I pet him alot. I have had him three days and that is very little time to get adjusted. But I want to work on this depression and lack of confidence fast.

Oh one more thing he seems to been so mistreated he won't bark. I need him to bark so if I am not in the house I know someone is at the door. Just not all the time.
hayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
I can't help you with training him to bark, but if you want to boost his confidence do some obedience training with him. When he does something right praise him alot and eventually he will learn that he has boundaries and you are the top dog and he will also learn how to please you which I think in most dogs is all they need and want. I would think that would build his confidence. I would try to find something in addition to a good petting that he really enjoys.. ie different types of toys, maybe he likes balls, stffed animals, tug toys, you know some little extra way of praising him. And I do think you are right a few days is not enough for him to completly be over what has happend to him in the past. He needs to get to know you to the point of total trust. I would deffinatly be somewhat quiet when he does deserve a scolding and maybe instead of the normal verbal punishment you should just remove him from being with you in other words put him in another room away from you. For some dogs this is the worst punishment of all. Good luck let us know how it goes!
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
My dautshund does the same thing, especially when she KNOWS she did something wrong and she got caught. She also still does it when meeting new people. I take her to obedience classes, for one thing its EXCELENT socialization. This will build confience for any dog. Taking classes doesnt nessisarly teach the dog, but the owner how to bond with the dog. I highly recomend it
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Suz23
Been Around A While

There is no quick fix to helping a dog gain its confidence - id say stop the scolding, with a dog that responsive a lok should be enough to show your displeasure but not so much that it makes him urinate - trouble is he cant help it hes learning his place in your pack and is obviously a submissive dog. He just needs time lots of time dont rush him.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
cockermom has given some realy good tips and the egnoring or a sharp look is good too time is the essence let him settle in three to four weeks is generally the time for a dog to start feeling more confident and this time you might find he starts to find his voice too. give him a couple of weeks and then think about a training class as like was said is good for bonding too.

for barking on controle teaching the speak and quiet commands are good i normally say teach quiet first but since he does not bark then when he is more confident get playing an exciting game like tug or chase with you the more excited a dog gets the more likely they are are to bark as soon as he starts praise good boy nice speak, when he stops good boy nice quiet. the more he does it the more he will hear the speak and quiet and after a while you can just say speak if he does not start then play and praise. once on command you can tell him to speak each time you hear the knock on the door not forgetting to praise him for speaking and then being quiet so you have the turn off button too. hope it helps
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
some tips for reducing the cowering are try not to stand towering over him, approach from his side, get down to his level, dont lean over him stroke his sides and go under his belly or chest rather than over his whole body. when looking make short eye turns away from him and even yawn or lick your lips these are all signs dogs look for with each other to show they are not a threat. hope it helps
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
hayu
Site Regular

Up date

Knickers seems to know the basic commands. Some people who are in jail teach the dogs that come in the basics. So I am working on teaching him the silent hand signals. I am using his rolling over to teach him to do that at when I point to him and say bang.

I thought he had an OCD problem cause he has been scratching and biting at his body. Turns out he has really bad skin allergies. That has never been treated so he has worn his teeth down on the bottom to almost nubbs.

I am horrified that any previous owner never treated this. The vet but him on allergy meds and they are starting to work.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
hayu
Site Regular

1 more update

He barked today!! Scared the heck out him he jumped backwards and tried to find out who did it.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
grizzle
Been Around A While

Hayu
The fastest way to regain a dogs confidence is by going on long walks. Talk and praise along the walk at a fast pace. You'll see the difference. Good luck and be patient.
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
hayu
Site Regular

This is just an update on knickers his name is now Snickers. He sits, does down and fetches. Fetches is good as I am on crutches and can't walk. He also sits and lays down in a wagon. I use the wagon to bring in grocerys and stuff.

He is a little aggresive when playing fetch he growls at my Bichon. Her name is Sassy. I am trying to figure that part out. She is used to taking the toy away from Tech, who I had to put to sleep for heart problems. But Snickers takes it away from her.

Thanks

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic