Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Book Club » What Color is Your Dog? - by Joel Silverman

Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

What Color is Your Dog? - by Joel Silverman

This is a great book for the "beginner" dog owner as well as the seasoned owner that needs to be reminded that dog training is not rocket science.

What Color is Your Dog? has nothing to do with the fact that you dog is white w/ black spots, black w/ a white patch, Brindle, Brown or even Tri-colored!

Joel Silverman's What Color is Your Dog? teachs you the importance of establishing a solid bond between you and the dog before any major training begins.

What Color is Your Dog? teachs how to evaluate and classify your dog's personality into one of five different catagories and then shows you the proper method of training based on that personality.

It goes thru the importance of using the right training tools and shows you how to use them. It shows you how to communicate with your dog without shouting, hitting, or jurking on the leash. In fact, he shows that you dont even need to raise your voice or get upset when your dog does something wrong! He also deals with overcoming common obsticles that arise during a training session.

About the Author:
Joel has been a professional trainer for 30 years. He trained Sea Lions, Dolphins, and Killer Whales as well as other marine mammals before becoming a dog and cat trainer for the movie and advertising industry.

Without realizing it, you've seen his work in many movies and commericals for over 20 years. This work also includes all of the Iams commericals aired in the past few years.

He has been the host of Animal Planet's "Good Dog U" (a staple of dog training for the past ten years). He also recieved the "Trainer Of the Year" award in 2008.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Lola_Joy
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Lola_Joy Send a message via Yahoo to Lola_Joy
I'll have to check this out. Thanks BetterDog4U!

Last edited by Lola_Joy : 07-26-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: sp
Lola_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I like the concept and will be looking for this book also.

I have some difficulty training a shyer dog and frequently have to ask for help and/or advice. I'm sure it has everything to do with me. Shy dogs aren't my favorite personality, but when I see them gaining confidence I like them more. I'm probably going about it backwards.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

THe book is available online at his website: www.companionsforlife.net or at Barns & Noble, amazon.com ... its also in all of the book stores.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatColor.jpg (25.4 KB, 27 views)
- Michael -

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Looks really interesting Michael. I checked out the web site and read a little about it. Makes perfect sense that all dogs don't respond to the same training practices. I've always wondered why people get so fired up defending one type of training as though one size fits all
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsasmom View Post
Looks really interesting Michael. I checked out the web site and read a little about it. Makes perfect sense that all dogs don't respond to the same training practices. I've always wondered why people get so fired up defending one type of training as though one size fits all
Yep, this is why he teachs ppl that they MUST take the time to get to know the dog before starting any training.
- Michael -

Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Exactly. And it makes sense that I don't bond as quickly with a shy dog, as that is not a personality that I'm drawn to. I've always had more difficulty figuring out what works with them. I usually click with a more confident dog right away. It's probably why I enjoy the Rotties so much, as even if they're a little shy at first, they rarely remain that way once they feel secure.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Exactly. And it makes sense that I don't bond as quickly with a shy dog, as that is not a personality that I'm drawn to. I've always had more difficulty figuring out what works with them. I usually click with a more confident dog right away. It's probably why I enjoy the Rotties so much, as even if they're a little shy at first, they rarely remain that way once they feel secure.
Ann, most ppl are the same way.

MOst dogs fall into 3 of the 5 catagories. They are shy, mellow or excited ... I actually like working with all 3 types. I dont even mind hyper dogs once in a while. (Patchs was Excited but on the boarder of Hyper when i got her). But they can really try my patience sometimes.

On the other hand, scared dogs still make me kind of nervous, and Im sure they sence it. In the past year or so I have worked with only two scared dogs and b/c I've been able to turn off my feelings I was successful.

Joel's point has always been, "Can you imagine trying to train a Scared dog with the same type of methods or corrections that you use with a Hyper dog" ... "You'd get bit 5 times out of 5" ...
- Michael -

Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Yes, scared dogs are difficult, Michael.My sister adopted a dog in Minnesota that was running loose in Kentucky. It's turned out to be a fear biter. This dog fiercely loves my sister and trusts her completely, but others don't reach out to the dog or approach until she's comfortable enough to come to us. I admire my sister's dedication to Rabbit, as she is called. Not many people could have brought this dog around enough for it to have a good life. It's loved and pampered, but controlled and kept out of situations where it could hurt anyone. My sis has a heart of gold to love this dog and Rabbit returns her love and devotion.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Book Club