Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Territory Marking
View Poll Results: Do you think Territory Marking is a sign of:
Aggression 0 0%
Dominance 12 44.44%
Marking a Shared Territory 10 37.04%
Other - Please Explain 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Territory Marking

I recieved an email today thru my BD4U site. It was from a person who asked my thoughts on Territory Marking.

This person was told that if he allowed other dogs to "mark" his yard, it would lead to a dog fight because it was the visiting dog trying to clam ownership of his dog's yard. This advice included the feeling that everytime his dog "re-marked" the spot it would make the visiting dog(s) become more dominate which would lead to a fight!!!

I guess it might be possible if you had an "aggressive" or "out of control" dog, but in 35+ years i have never seen it!!!

Have any of you ever seen one dog attack another dog for marking over a spot?
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I've never encountered aggression from marking, in fact, I've seen the total opposite.
With a multi-dog household and one where I've frequently brought in new dogs (sometimes for short periods of time) I have always just looked at it as p-mail....a quick introduction and explanation of age, sex, location. A nervous dog will move away from dogs who are doing the anal/genital sniff and quickly move just a few feet away to urinate or mark to get the pushier dogs to give him/her some space. The other dogs will usually investigate the urine instead of the new dog.
Now I'm curious to read the thoughts and observations of others.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
My thoughts on this are mixed.

A dog that is tempermentally agressive and is marking territory while the original dog is there might come back and remark, and then I can see where a territorial dispuite might happen because you would have 2 males saying "this is mine/I am here"and then they would be in close proximity of one another. But I doubt that the orignal dog is saying "you just marked on MY spot I am gonna come protect it" I think a fight would happen mostly because the physical fact that there would be 2 dominate males right there.

Most dogs to me that mark are simply saying 'i was here' and is not aggressive related. Or is some underlying form of communication us humans will never understand

BUT on the other hand, I never let Tigger mark, he still squats, and I want to keep it that way. He does sneak in a mark on the fence every once-in-a-while (when I am not around), because I have seen it 'after the fact' BUT we also have issues with him coming when called in the backyard. So we think he thinks the backyard is his.

Is the hiking in the backyard a contributing factor to his stuborness to mind in the back yard? I think so...But my Tig is very anti-agressive and anyone could come in the backyard and he would wiggle-butt to them.

The topic of males marking/agression/ect...is a confusing one. (for me at least!)
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Come to think of it, there was a unruely-unneutered GSD at the class (we have a small space for a potty area) and he was marking, and when another dog came near him he growled and lunged.

So I dont know if that counts, I guess it does, but the GSD was a trouble dog to begin with, and I didnt ever see it around again.

Would the issue be that he was unfixed, and a fixed male or another unfixed male crowded his space? Or was it 2 un-socialized dogs.

What would have happened if the dogs were unleashed or out at a dog park?
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Well if you want to get into the canine ethology part of it there should be no problem if they are part of the same "pack". Wolves that live in packs for instance will ALL mark their territory not only the breeding pairs, in some cases the offspring or not so assertive members may mark and the breeding pair may mark over it and there will be no dispute.

However the urinating on vertical objects shouldn't always be branded as marking. Yes doing so sometimes means that a dog is marking his territory but it is also a calling card, it allows others to know that the dog was there among other information.

Let us not forget the most basic of uses for this: simply relieving themselves. Junior urinates on a same tree in our yard, does that mean he's marking it? No, he's simply relieving himself the most natural way that comes to him.

Allowing a dog to mark also contributes to his self esteem, thats why its important to allow some dogs (the not so assertive ones) to indulge themselves every now and then.

Even if we do decide that this can lead to aggression...what will she do about it? Force them to squat? Take them to different areas? Both don't seem very practical.... so if there is no problem then why fix it?
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

Five boys all neutered...4 markers. My b-room carpet is ruined which is no big deal since it's over 30 years old. They marked my bedspread, my carpet, and each other! Really got outta hand when Charlie came home. He did not fit and became verry aggressive.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
Well if you want to get into the canine ethology part of it there should be no problem if they are part of the same "pack". Wolves that live in packs for instance will ALL mark their territory not only the breeding pairs, in some cases the offspring or not so assertive members may mark and the breeding pair may mark over it and there will be no dispute.

However the urinating on vertical objects shouldn't always be branded as marking. Yes doing so sometimes means that a dog is marking his territory but it is also a calling card, it allows others to know that the dog was there among other information.

Let us not forget the most basic of uses for this: simply relieving themselves. Junior urinates on a same tree in our yard, does that mean he's marking it? No, he's simply relieving himself the most natural way that comes to him.

Allowing a dog to mark also contributes to his self esteem, thats why its important to allow some dogs (the not so assertive ones) to indulge themselves every now and then.

Even if we do decide that this can lead to aggression...what will she do about it? Force them to squat? Take them to different areas? Both don't seem very practical.... so if there is no problem then why fix it?
I think want the person was asking was in the instance when one dogs pees, and another dog walks over, sniffs the spot and then pees (on or next to) the same spot right afterward.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
JessicaR
Been Around A While

my dogs do this all the time and no fighting has ever happened. It usually starts when one of the girls pee then the threes boys all have to pee over top it. The only problem I have is when 2 or more boys try to pee at one! The shorter one ends up getting peed on During dog shows I have seen multiple intact males mark things and it has never come to a fight.

momto3, have you tried putting a belly band on your markers? Dusty started to mark a couple of days of wearing the belly band and he no longer wanted to mark inside!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
momto3, have you tried putting a belly band on your markers? Dusty started to mark a couple of days of wearing the belly band and he no longer wanted to mark inside!
Yes when I finally figured who was doing it. Amazingly enough, now that he's gone there's no more marking! The rest of them stopped.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
malamutesrule
New Around Here

the answer is yes to all above

all the answers overlap they use pee marking as 99% of day to day to gather infomation on whats going on in the world in total they understand far more than we will ever understand . but we all know they know whats going on for sure !!!! 3.malamutes.1 jap akita.1 klee kai here and lots of pee . a note a fight might happen if pack order is not maintained on order of who sniffs the pee first alfa dog alfa female down to omega lowest in pack ..... please post your thoughts on this
malamutesrule is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion