Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » WI legislators work on commercial breeder legislation

Old 04-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

WI legislators work on commercial breeder legislation

Standards for dog breeders proposed

Associated Press7:03 AM CDT, April 9, 2009 MADISON, Wis. - A group of bipartisan legislators say tighter regulations for Wisconsin's commercial dog breeders are long overdue.

Their bill would require dog breeders selling more than 25 dogs in a year to be licensed and meet standards of care.

Senator Pat Kreitlow (KREYET'-low) says there are hundreds of responsible, caring breeders in Wisconsin who are losing business to breeders who don't care for their animals and just want to turn a quick profit.

The Chippewa Falls Democrat is joined by Republican Senator Alberta Darling of River Hills and Democratic Representatives Jeff Smith of Eau Claire and Christine Sinicki of Milwaukee.

see rest of article at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,2541240.story
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

The 25 puppy limit might help discourage the hobby breeders too. 3 large litters would put force you into the commercial class.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
It really depends on the regulations. If the regulations aren't hard to abide but yet beneficial to the dogs and also has a harsh penalty then this might actually discourage puppy mills. How? It makes it harder for them to advertise and just sell out in the open. There are just a few things about this that scare me. For instance a byb could have two breeding pairs of medium to small breeds and fall under the 25 limit, so doesn't solve that. Also, what if those that don't want to comply and are just barely dodging the 25 minimum accidently go over? To what lengths will they go to make it less than 25 pups in their possession. There are a couple loop holes that could use some revising, but it's a start, no?
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
Labman
Been Around A While

So if you last litter puts you over, just make a few puppies disappear?
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
So if you last litter puts you over, just make a few puppies disappear?
Thats what I fear. Pretty soon you'll hear of stories about puppies found in dumpsters or side of the road....all sort of atrocities.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory