Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Believe it or not: Councilman wants to sterilize Pitt Bulls

Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Believe it or not: Councilman wants to sterilize Pitt Bulls

An Indianapolis City-County Council member is poised to present his solution to the city's pit bull problem: sterilize them. All of them.Councilman Mike Speedy has crafted a proposal on "dangerous dogs" that he expects to submit to the full council sometime this month -- and one that almost certainly will face stiff opposition.

His proposal not only would require that all pit bulls in the county be spayed or neutered but also would empower animal control officials to require dog owners to purchase liability insurance if they mistreat their dog or fail to keep it confined.
"Living with the fear of a serious dog bite, you're not fully free to enjoy this great city or your neighborhood," Speedy said.
"The pit bull is the most abused breed in America and in Indianapolis, and when that breed is abused they are more likely to bite people in a devastating and life-altering way. If you reduce their numbers in a humane way through spay and neutering, you will reduce the bites."

See rest of article at:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...AL18/904080337
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

Thank you for posting that. I hope if any of our members live in Indy or have friends or family there, they will oppose it. We need to punish those that keep viscous dogs of any breed, not loving pets.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

In 2006, Indianapolis mayor Bart Peterson wanted to pass a law that pitbull type dogs and any dog resembling one be banned. He failed at that endeavor (twice), and now this councilman is taking another approach. It's true that dog bites have increased in number in Indianapolis in the past 3 years, but I don't trust the media to identify a breed of dog or mixed breed. The numbers of pitbulls are probably increasing, as they make up almost half of all of the dogs in my local shelter almost any given day of the week.
Why they insist on going after a poorly raised, unrestrained dog is beyond me. Going after the owner would be much more productive.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
I'm not quite sure what to think. It's very true that it's wrong to go after all dogs of a particular breeds simply because of a stereotype. However this would make it so that owners that mistreat their dogs (something that would increase likely-hood of a dog becoming aggressive) and those that don't keep them confined would have to purchase liability insurance, which doesn't sound wrong to me. Provided it isn't imposed on someone only because they own a media-stereotypical aggressive breed.

I'm uneasy about when they say that they are discussing this with "animal advocates"...which ones in specific? PETA?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Pit a breed not registrated in the AKC? If that is the case what would be wrong with altering them? Wouldn't this reduce unwanted pregnancies and certain behaviors both of which contribute to a disproportionate number of pits being left in the care of shelters?

My thought is that maybe this law would be effective for a short time, not if used for a prolonged period of time.

I'm just against banning a certain breed, and going after responsible owners. Another scary thought is how far can/will legislations like these go? Could they/will they extend to other breeds next? I agree with Ann though, education and going after the owners themselves is the best approach.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Labman
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Thank you for posting that. I hope if any of our members live in Indy or have friends or family there, they will oppose it. We need to punish those that keep viscous dogs of any breed, not loving pets.

I meant vicious. Viscous means thick, like some politicians skulls.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I bet it wont pass, a few things I have learned from this site is that is that pits CAN be good dogs with the right owners, sadly the majority of people who own pits use them...I searched for pit attack in the city newspaper online...here are a few stories that I got...

Pit Bulls Attack Girls:
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/0222..._6878737.shtml
Man bitten by pit bull
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/0707...10720523.shtml
What you're saying: About the recent pit bull attacks (comments by various people about pits and other dogs)
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/0723...BullTalk.shtml
Lubbock man requires surgery after pit attack (and killed his dog he was walking)
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/1004..._8618017.shtml

The list goes on for pages and pages...I didnt bother to check how many pages after 10 pages with 10 stories each page.

With such negative plublicity on this breed it is hard NOT to styeriotype the breed...

Its easier to put the blame on the dog breed than go after the PEOPLE...

I myself know responcible pit owners...But I myself will never own one...just because I do no trust myself with one...I could never live with myself if my dog got loose even with a lot of training/socialization and some gene in its head went off and he attacked/killed/maimed some innocent person...But I guess thats true with any dog right?
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory