Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Shara Stay HELP

Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Thank you Steven,

We have a very large club, so we have practiced stays with many strangers and strange dogs, sometimes she has no problem with it, sometimes she just cant handle it.

Last night I had a friend go in for the sits and downs...used to you could let someone else do sits and downs for you, but we read the rule book and they changed that rule...either way, she busted BIG time, she wouldnt stay for my friend for all the cookies in the world!

We are trying what is called "bad toy" and the "bingo box".

The "bad toy" is a toy you lean against the dog, and if it moves, you go and grab the toy and say "bad toy you moved it!" I dont know, seems crazy but if it works it works...

Also the "bingo box" is a box of treats placed behind her and behind the number card you have in the ring...and we are going back to her random times to reward, so shes concentrating on "the box behind her with cookies" instead of "momma being across the ring and i cant get up to go to her"

We are trying everything to get this down, and we have a lot of people pouring in suggestions and trying to help me. Thank you guys for listening and trying to help!

Will keep you posted!
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
gsdmama
Been Around A While

This is how I taught Joey and Elsa to do their 5 minute down stay and sit stays. Since we have laminate flooring thru out the house I found it easier to use a area rug.

I first put them in a heel position. using a firm voice( I have to with these guys) I tell them to stay and I also used a hand signal. I would then step out with my right foot and turn right in front of them. I started with close up work right in front of them. I started with very short times. oh and once I got them to stay at that distance and time I then add it walking back and forth in front of them. I then added distance and increased the time and walking back and forth. we are up to a 30 foot distance and 1/2 hour down stay. I work them in the house to while I am cooking I put them on a area rug next to each other right outside the kitchen and they will stay there till I say "ok". I will do that with all of my chores. So I get their training in while I am cleaning. If I am in the laundry room I do the same as when I am cooking. I then let them play and I get a break and when I move on to the next chore I call them and I will place them outside of where I am working like I will have them do a down stay outside of the bathroom while cleaning. One important thing is that if they break I march them back to the same spot and tell them stay firmly. They understand that they don't get to move till I tell them.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
Shara
Been Around A While

gsdmama,

Thats how I was taught to train Shara her stays, works for Tigger, but Shara just gets the nervous shakes in the ring, hard to explain.

We think shes giving me a time limit "ive been away from mom too long..." or something. We have tried everything to get her to stay, the best thing is I can stay out of site and she will stay better, why...I do not know..."out of site out of mind?" comes to mind...she doesnt see me across the room and want to come to me.

The 'bad toy/bingo box' thing, I wont know if it is working till we try it out...But I have been working her these past 2 nights and I have gotten a few corrections.

This time next week I will be on the road to the dog show, so we got 1 week to crack this...Just hope we can !!!
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 AM   #14
Shara
Been Around A While

Things are just not working out for us with Shara, she busted her stays tonight, as if shes never been told to stay before. She was around familiar dogs...

My trainer was very upset, and frustrated as well, we have been working it for a week, and she seemed to get the idea at home. Went to the club and things fell apart.

We did two sets of stays and she just failed miserbly. I dont even want to go to the dog show anymore, even though it is costing me close to 500 bucks to go, entry fees, hotel...gas...sigh.

I have never felt so let down and just...feel like giving up on her at this point...I know that sounds bad, but we have tried EVERYTHING you can think of to get her to stay...

Its a shame too because she already knows the Open stuff so well...

I am not sure what we are going to do...I guess go to Abiline and bust on the stays again with near perfect scores...I doubt she will stay...

I feel like crying.
~Meredith
Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
Momto3
Been Around A While

Maybe she needs a handler? Take yourself outta the picture. Sounds too stressful to me. When it's not fun anymore, what's the point kinda thing. jmho
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Meredith. Don't give up. I am going to ask my trainer who has been training dogs in the ring for over 25 years. Hopefully I will have an answer for you soon. I know it can be nerve racking.

anna
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #17
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Yes, I'll ask around too, maybe someone's got an ingenous idea that we (or your trainers) haven't thought about.

Best wishes!
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Hey Shara, I'm just curious are dogs that compete not allowed to take medication? I'm asking because, as I think you know, Shara breaks her stays because shes frightened, so don't you think that anxiolytic medication (Anxiety medication) would help her concentrate better? I've heard that sometimes the only one way to train a dog to not be scared of something is to give them a low dosage of anxiolytics medication and then ween her off of it meanwhile you train to the point to where she no longer needs the medication anymore.

Anywho, I don't know if you are allowed (or even if you want to) to do this, if not then scratch that!
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #19
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
Hey Shara, I'm just curious are dogs that compete not allowed to take medication? I'm asking because, as I think you know, Shara breaks her stays because shes frightened, so don't you think that anxiolytic medication (Anxiety medication) would help her concentrate better? I've heard that sometimes the only one way to train a dog to not be scared of something is to give them a low dosage of anxiolytics medication and then ween her off of it meanwhile you train to the point to where she no longer needs the medication anymore.

Anywho, I don't know if you are allowed (or even if you want to) to do this, if not then scratch that!

Hey Steven,

I have tried anti anxiety meds with her, 2 diffrent types, didnt have an effect on her really, so I stopped giving it to her.

I am 90% sure its anxiety thats getting the best of her, I am across the ring and she just cannot stand it. She starts crying. We thought giving her the 'job' of keeping the toy in place would take her mind off things. We thought the bingo box full of yummy cookies behind her would take her mind off things too...

Please let me know if you find anything else to try...I only have a few days.
~Meredith
Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
Hey Steven,

I have tried anti anxiety meds with her, 2 diffrent types, didnt have an effect on her really, so I stopped giving it to her.

I am 90% sure its anxiety thats getting the best of her, I am across the ring and she just cannot stand it. She starts crying. We thought giving her the 'job' of keeping the toy in place would take her mind off things. We thought the bingo box full of yummy cookies behind her would take her mind off things too...

Please let me know if you find anything else to try...I only have a few days.
Well the responses I got, might not help for the next competition but it might help in the long run.

One suggestion was to start Shara on a NILIF training program at home and have her stay for anything she might consider good. (I'm sure you know how it works).

The other was a link I was given with something called Protocol for Relaxation, looks like it has good info, maybe it might offer some help: http://dogscouts.org/Protocol_for_relaxation.html
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly