Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » New litter big troubles :(

Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
New litter big troubles :(

Hello all, some of you may have known we were expecting a litter to be born April 27. On April 29th she gave birht to two beautiful healthy baby boys. Right off the bat she seemed off, not really having interest in them. So to make sure the pups got the first bit of milk that they really need I ended up deciding to crate together momma and babies. This worked wonderfully! She started caring for them and going in the crate on her own to care for them. All of a sudden a a few days later we notice her on the verge of fainting! I was very very scared but I did everything to get her to drink but she would not. She had cared for the puppies so much that she neglected her own needs! Well I spend three days using an eye dropper to push pedialite and water into her mouth and every day she was improving. She was almost back to herself when we found she had mastitis, started her on antibiotics right away and now about a week later mom is 100% back to her old self BUT she hasn't been cleaning the pups rear ends and now I believe one has an infection in the skin around the anus, ughh so long story short he and the other pup are on antibiotics now too! This is the roughest litter yet! Even my last litter where I had to hand raise them wasn't this stressful! I've read about puppies developing infections and dying, so as you can imagine I'm very very worried for my babies.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever gone through having a puppy with an infection? They seem healthy other wise, they're 16 days old and they look good and fat. But their rears are a little red and puffy, and after reading horror stories I'm a little scared for their life's. Has anyone else had a puppy with an infection, that DID survive? They seem so healthy otherwise, but will now be getting my 24/7 undidvided attention. Anyone been through this with a pup?
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
I've been cleaning their behinds every couple hours with sterile saline wipes and then neosporin on the area. They already seem to be doing better as far as the redness and puffiness. Other than the redness they are very healthy thank goodness!
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

They're getting very fat!!
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Sorry never had any problems with mom or her litter of pups. Did you take them to the vets? Any time mom is acting sick I would have the vet check her out, its possible she passed something to the pups, or she could have been on the verge of Eclampsia (milk fever), which usually occurs 1-3 weeks after birth. Small breeds or dogs with large litters are more prone to it.

signs are; Initially, the affected dog will be restless and nervous. Within a short time, she will walk with a stiff gait and may even wobble or appear disoriented. Eventually, the dog may be unable to walk and her legs may become stiff or rigid. The dog may have a fever, with body temperature even over 105 F.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Yes they've been to te vet and it was mastisis, she didn't have any symptoms mentioned above. Thank goodness the antibiotic help her and it worked fast too! Mom is 100% back to her old self again. We go back to the vet in a couple weeks. I was worried though when he put the pups on an antibiotic because of the rear ends looking not to good. I researched the problem and found out that it is a common problem in Boxers, and also had foud out that some pups will die from the infection. So after I read that I became greatly concerned, even after the vet visit and the vet saying they should be fine. I'm just a HUGE worrier!!
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

The pups are adorable and besides the little butt problem they look amazing!! I'll be posting pics soon. Just need to get to my computer to do, I usually post from my iPhone and can add pics this way.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care