Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » I need advice

Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
gunslingerspride
Site Regular

I need advice

I got a chocolate lab about a month ago. I think she is between 1and 1/2 and 2, maybe 3 at the oldest. Well she got out of the fence a couple of days ago and she bit my cat hard enough to break it's leg. I am absolutely furious with her, the vet said he was surpised my cat survived the shock. we didn't see what happened but we know it was her becuase my husband saw her where tinkers was before she ran to the barn. Plus she was the only one that was loose. Well in the time I have had her I haven't seen a violent bone in her body. When she is inside the puppies and cats crawl all over her and she just plays with them. Outside on a leash she pays no attention to cats. So for the life of me I can't figure out what happened. The cat (Tinkers) thinks dogs are his best friends and always loves on them, so he wouldn't have scratched the lab (Princess) or anything. The most he would have done was rub up against her. So I just really don't understand what happened, she hasn't shown any aggressive side towards the cats that I have ever seen. So I don't know what to do. Does this mean she will purposely attack my cats? Or was it probably an accident. Please I need advice. I don't know what to think or what to do about Princess.
gunslingerspride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Personally I would never trust the lab again around the cat, and if you cant be there to supervise all interactions between the 2 I would have the dog crated. Could it be a 1 time thing? Possibly but I wouldnt take the chance. It could be the cat was running and that triggered her prey drive to go after tha cat. Which is why she seems to be fine all the other times around the cat.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion